Author Topic: Where have the Classico ground tomatoes gone?  (Read 996 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Where have the Classico ground tomatoes gone?
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that Walmart no longer seems to be stocking Classico ground tomatoes? Is it only in my area, or is this store wide? The Classico ground tomatoes are the clone of 6 in 1's minus the skins, I will miss them if they are gone! :'(
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline csafranek

Re: Where have the Classico ground tomatoes gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
I love and use those too. Very small
Stock at my Walmart on the lowest shelf. I always buy about 5 cans at a time.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »
 I noticed too couple of weeks ago, at walmart next me in Houston
Bert,

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
Over the past 3-4 months, both styles of Classico tomatoes have been coming through the outlet stores here in droves . That's never a good sign.

Sometimes it's just over-stock but more often then not it means a formula and label change or it's being discontinued. So check out any local $1 type stores to see if you can stock-up.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »
They have already done a label change, maybe the ground tomatoes haven't been restocked yet. Will keep on eye open in the outlet stores.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
A Big Lots store near me has had a ton of the cans of Classico Tomato Sauce on its shelves, at $1 a can. From the ingredients list given at https://tomatoes.classico.com/products/, it looks like that product may make a decent pizza sauce.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
As I have experienced before, Heinz wasn't much help. I emailed them asking about Classico peeled ground tomatoes at Walmarts and their answer was about Classico WHOLE peeled tomatoes. When I contacted them again to tell them of their error, they said the only store in my area that had placed a resent order for the Classico ground tomatoes was a store over 30 miles away. They said it had been over three months since that order was placed so I should call the store to injuire. Their advice was to "speak to a store manager" about ordering more. No mention of if they had discontinued the ground tomatoes, I suppose I should send them another email and ask that question but, I have several other brands of tomatoes that are better than theirs!