Author Topic: My shot at a vegan thin...  (Read 651 times)

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
My shot at a vegan thin...
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »
So here we go, using loos generic thin pie, home grown Anaheim peppers, black olives and of course vegan "cheese"
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: My shot at a vegan thin...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:42:58 PM »
im not a vegan!  but it looks good!  it may be a bit thick for my preference in a chi thin.  but heck!!  looks way better than my 1st  50 attempts!  how did you like it?  was it over or under cooked? how was the flavor?  did any friends try it?  did you impress?  have fun!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
Did you follow Loo's TF man? Looks waaay thick....but I'd hit it(as Gene says)!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »
Loo's generic thin formulation has a thickness factor of 0.09, which I've always thought is just a *bit* too thick for a midwestern-style thin crust pie.  For me, a TF of 0.07-0.08 is just about perfect.  Check out the photos in the first post of this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.0.html  especially the last photo, it's a fairly thick pie!   :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
Loo's generic thin formulation has a thickness factor of 0.09, which I've always thought is just a *bit* too thick for a midwestern-style thin crust pie.  For me, a TF of 0.07-0.08 is just about perfect.  Check out the photos in the first post of this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.0.html  especially the last photo, it's a fairly thick pie!   :chef:
Well I'll be darn....that's waay too thick. Huh, I never paid any attention to that part of the recipe.

I go by weight per size of pan just because I have those numbers memorized. My TF is actually probably around 6-7. For grins last night I plugged in oh 5 for a 10in and thought it was pretty damn tasty mouth feel wise.

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:54 PM »
OK I'll admit... growing up on the west coast and now Hawaii, I have never had a Midwest style thin pie.  I did use loo's generic thin recipe and TF is .09.  I'll try again with maybe .07?

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »
Hey steelplayer, there is a list of Midwestern-style thin formulations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html.  Loo's formulation is good, but it was posted 5 years ago and quite a bit has been done since then.  I would recommend you try Garvey's formulation, or Pete-zza's Vito and Nick's clone.  There has also been quite a lot of progress with the HRI clone, but this is a rather unique style of pizza and isn't quite typical of Midwestern thin crust IMO.   :chef: :pizza:

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
Hey steelplayer, there is a list of Midwestern-style thin formulations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html.  Loo's formulation is good, but it was posted 5 years ago and quite a bit has been done since then.  I would recommend you try Garvey's formulation, or Pete-zza's Vito and Nick's clone.  There has also been quite a lot of progress with the HRI clone, but this is a rather unique style of pizza and isn't quite typical of Midwestern thin crust IMO.   :chef: :pizza:

Mahalo!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
+1

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:35 AM »
So... redux. I used Pete-zza's Vito and Nick's clone, with hemp milk (vegan). In the Expanded Pizza Dough Calculator I used a 9" size but ended up rolling out to 10".  Thin but not cracker.  I liked it, but still not having ever had a "real" Midwestern style pie I can only hope it's close :angel:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »
By joe I think you've got it. I would maybe cook that a little less but your crust thickness looks just right Steel. Now if I could only get you to put some real cheese on that baby...... :drool:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:50:01 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
nice job Steel!!!  I'm with Bob, cook it a little less! but it looks great!  Way to go!!

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 04:51:12 PM »
Mahalo all... I am going to find a cutter pan next...

pizzapan