Author Topic: My attempts at making ny style  (Read 955 times)

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
My attempts at making ny style
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
A little background about(mentioned in my new users post) Im 19 and i work in a pizza place as a line cook but i really want to learn how to make pizza, so i can get promoted at my current job or some place else. I make pizza for myself at least 2-3 times a week(i jokely said to my boss im gonna eat pizza everyday til i learn.....alright maybe i wasnt joking) So here are pics of my last attempts, im still having trouble forming the crust, but im slowly becoming better at making the pizza round and to size( the last pic is a pizza i made at home, note it has no toppings or sauce it was baked in an oven just so i could see how the crust would look when cooked). Any tips,comments, or criticism is welcome. Thank you for the cool forum!!

Offline Ev

Re: My attempts at making ny style
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
I'd say you're off to a fine start. Your pies look very good. Are you making your own dough or getting it from where you work?

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Thank you EV, the first 3 pizzas I made at work, the last one I made at home my previous jobs dough.at the job I was in charge of making dough,cutting cheese, and making their pizza sauce. I have tried to make dough at home im used to using fresh yeast and don't know how to work with the instant stuff(didn't come out the same)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Scott,

Nice start.  What is your current dough formulation and sauce ingredients?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
the dough is from current job, now sure how much they use since i dont make, at my past job it consisted of just flour(57.5 lbs),salt(1 3/4, water(34.25) and yeast(3). ive worked at 3 different shops and they all make the sauce different(of course),

The current one consists of dominco vitale heavy pizza sauce, 6 in 1,pelican pelate,basil,oregano, salt,sugar and basil

another place used-5 cans of full red fully prepared pizza sauce and some water

another used 1 full red pizza sauce(not prepared), 1 7/11, some water, salt, basil(sometimes pesto), and olive oil

I 've also worked with different cheeses- Grande, Marino(looks and taste like plastic, horrible cheese shredder didnt even want to cut it), Assoluti, some other brand but i can remember what it was called.

the bolded formulas and cheese are my favorite and i would use those to make my pizzas if i had a shop.

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »
Alright today was a sucess with my pizza, my boss said it was perfect and told me to continue practicing and he would see what he could due in terms of me moving up. the only thing i dont like about this particular shop is they dont have a lot of toppings to choose from so speciality pizzas are limited

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
Alright today was a sucess with my pizza, my boss said it was perfect and told me to continue practicing and he would see what he could due in terms of me moving up. the only thing i dont like about this particular shop is they dont have a lot of toppings to choose from so speciality pizzas are limited
Actually, that could be a good thing in disguise Scott. Get your technique down first....topping laden pie's are for Papa John.  ;)

Sounds like you enjoy learning about different ingredients in pizza sauces....tweak something of your own up there at work on the side and then blow your boss away with it on a plain cheese pie. Shake things up man.  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »
lol i learned quite a few different ways of making pizza sauce,its always nice to improve it, or modify it. I dont really put lots of toppings on pizzas, just having a better variety would help such having pesto(to use as a  base), fresh mozzarella. we have 4 speciality pizzas on the menu, its quite boring  :-D i have  a few ideas though, i will probably make pizza again tom, will make that one a specialty pizza(maybe buffalo chicken pizza)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »
Create your own secret sauce that will make your boss have to promote you.... >:D

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
Heres a BBQ Chicken Pizza i did earlier this week. unfortunately my boss is starting to get mad by the amount of pizzas ive been attempting so im probably not going to get as much practice in, but i think my technique down so thats a plus

@bob lol yeah i dont think thats a good idea, in the first month that i have been wokring for them, it looks like they are real arrogant  and anal about their food(truth is that its not that good). we were talking about sauces(they brought it up) and  was giving ideas, and they just rolled their eyes, they dont let you touch anything.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
Heres a BBQ Chicken Pizza i did earlier this week. unfortunately my boss is starting to get mad by the amount of pizzas ive been attempting so im probably not going to get as much practice in, but i think my technique down so thats a plus

@bob lol yeah i dont think thats a good idea, in the first month that i have been wokring for them, it looks like they are real arrogant  and anal about their food(truth is that its not that good). we were talking about sauces(they brought it up) and  was giving ideas, and they just rolled their eyes, they dont let you touch anything.
Ahh man that's such a shame Scott. They will never change, Gordon Ramsey ain't coming to their place so run like hell as fast as you can to someplace that will at least respect you man. Life is too short my friend.  :)

Bob

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »
Thanks bob for the support, I was pissed off all day when they told me that,but its good I have another job on side(my last job is waiting for me to come back already talked to them today ;D) its only a matter of time >:D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Thanks bob for the support, I was pissed off all day when they told me that,but its good I have another job on side(my last job is waiting for me to come back already talked to them today ;D) its only a matter of time >:D
That's right pizza pal; way to keep that chin up man.  ;)