Author Topic: FGM 1030C!  (Read 3786 times)

Offline derricktung

FGM 1030C!
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
And here we go!  My FGM 1030C arrived yesterday!  (After a debacle of it arriving last Thursday, and the driver/deliverer realized that his liftgate wasn't large enough to unload the oven and promptly drove away with my toy!)

Here's some pics of the unpacking and setting up for the initial low heat dry cure (250 watt halogen lamp). 

Even though the main part of the oven comes in 5 pieces (2 floor pieces, 3 dome pieces), it was still fairly heavy to move...  As a crossfitter who can deadlift 300+ lbs, I figured this wouldn't too much of an issue, but some of it was more the awkwardness of the dome pieces and just being very careful not to drop anything.  (The wife helped, and I'm glad she's been doing some strength training, but this will be far easier when my partners arrive to help move this I think.  And perhaps a 2x4 to help raise the pieces up appropriately to the trailer).

It took about 1 hr between my wife and I to get the floor and one piece of the dome in place, and then another 20 minutes to get the last two pieces of the dome in place so that I could set up the halogen lamp...

The trailer is supposed to be ready for pick up on the 21st, so I'll update with more build pictures after that!  I'm excited and can't wait!  Antoine has been super helpful through the process thus far, and looking forward to more of his advice as we move along in building!

Offline csafranek

Re: FGM 1030C!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
Awesome! Very excited to follow your journey!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
Congratulations to the proud new papa.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Yes congrats!  These FGM ovens are the latest rage here.  I want one!  ;D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
Derrick,

You are going to love having a WFO, especially one that nice!

Careful you don't drop one of the oven pieces on your foot, wearing those sandals! You're a brave man!

Best of luck!

John K

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
Nice looking oven! I did a google search, and one here but no info. Anyone have a web site?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline csafranek

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
Nice looking oven! I did a google search, and one here but no info. Anyone have a web site?

Mark

http://www.breadstoneovens.com/pages/wood-fired-oven-trailer

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
Thanks all!  I can't wait to take it for a test run.. shame it won't be for another 24 days or so! 

Here's the link to 1030C specifically:  http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/frontpage/products/oven-1030-c

@John: I nearly set down a piece on my foot while moving the pieces around actually... But hey, I don't need my toes to make great pie right?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:48:35 PM by derricktung »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »
Yes congrats!  These FGM ovens are the latest rage here.  I want one!  ;D

???
Do Not build or install a wfo.  That is the biggest waste of money ever!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »
Craig, that was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.  And I just sold my house so I'm losing my wfo. The oven itself wasn't a waste of money.   It was more the outdoor kitchen and backyard that I lost a bunch of money on.  When I settle into a more permanent residence, I'm sure I'll need another wfo.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:52:08 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
Craig, that was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.  And I just sold my house so I'm losing my wfo. The oven itself wasn't a waste of money.   It was more the outdoor kitchen and backyard that I lost a bunch of money on.  When I settle into a more permanent residence, I'm sure I'll need another wfo.  ;D

If I could go back in time and not do all the things I've wasted money on (and really should have known better at the time), I wouldn't have much BESIDES my WFO.  :-D

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Congratulations Derrick.  I would love to see detailed pictures of your build.  Are you going to use an engine hoist to mount the oven to the trailer?

Offline derricktung

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
Congratulations Derrick.  I would love to see detailed pictures of your build.  Are you going to use an engine hoist to mount the oven to the trailer?

Not unless I have to!   ;D  The pieces are more unwieldy than heavy, and with two men, I think we can get them in place fairly easily.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see... but will definitely update with more pics as I build this out!

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »

Hi Chau. Which oven would you consider getting next? Will you be considering mounting it on a trailer?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
I would consider getting it on a trailer or in a food truck.  If not it would definitely be mobile though in case I have to move again.  I would splurge and get a SF or something of that calibre.  A FGM wouldn't be out of the question though.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »
I would consider getting it on a trailer or in a food truck.  If not it would definitely be mobile though in case I have to move again.  I would splurge and get a SF or something of that calibre.  A FGM wouldn't be out of the question though.
Do SF ovens travel well?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline derricktung

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
Do SF ovens travel well?

The Del Popolo oven is mobile and an SF... I think that may be the only SF mobile one currently.  Though the SF website advertises a mobile oven, and it looks like it's a cast oven.  The page seems to be down, but here's an image of it from their website thanks to image searches...

Offline bjshaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »
If not it would definitely be mobile though in case I have to move again.

Chau,

Where are you headed?...I know that the CRNA occupation can lend itself to a transient lifestyle...looked like you were well set-up in your "former" location.   

Offline landras

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »
congrats!!!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »
A quick update and a question for folks...

Picked up my trailer yesterday, and the process was fairly smooth with a few hiccups here and there but nothing too significant to be concerned with.

Mounted the oven, wrapped it in insulation, wrapped on foil (I really need to get a staple gun to make the foil stick better... used a regular stapler, and it just came off a lot...)

Any one have advice on working with wire mesh?  The product I'm using is really resistant to anything short of a 90 degree bend, and I'm having trouble wrapping this around oven.  Do people use thinner gauge wire (chicken wire) with bigger holes typically? 

Going to give it another go when I get home today... hopefully this fiberglass in my forearms will stop itching soon...