Author Topic: FGM 1030C!  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: FGM 1030C!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
Are you using expanded metal lath?  If so, run it horizontally around the base, then make vertical cuts every foot or so and you can then fold and lap the wire.  You can weave tie wire into the mesh to hold it snug.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Ahhh, interesting... so you just wrap the base, and then use smaller pieces to cover the top.  Think I can just bend paper clips to keep them together?  ;)

Thanks for the pic!  This will help a lot in strategizing how to do this in a couple hours...

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
There are only 3 separate pieces of lath on there.  Twist ties, string, anything will work, it just needs to hold it long enough to get the mud on it.

Offline z-man

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
A quick update and a question for folks...

Picked up my trailer yesterday, and the process was fairly smooth with a few hiccups here and there but nothing too significant to be concerned with.

Mounted the oven, wrapped it in insulation, wrapped on foil (I really need to get a staple gun to make the foil stick better... used a regular stapler, and it just came off a lot...)

Any one have advice on working with wire mesh?  The product I'm using is really resistant to anything short of a 90 degree bend, and I'm having trouble wrapping this around oven.  Do people use thinner gauge wire (chicken wire) with bigger holes typically? 

Going to give it another go when I get home today... hopefully this fiberglass in my forearms will stop itching soon...

Thanks that last part made me lol ahhh I hear ya brotha finally finishing my build what we do for pizza :P

Offline derricktung

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »
Been a bit MIA lately due to the craze of oven building, work, and celebrating my wife's bday (in which she celebrated by staying up until 4 AM helping with stucco...  :P)

A few pics of where we're at now:

Offline landras

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
Looking good!
You are lucky, if I have to work on something like that until 4 AM my wife will bot even go to the garage and ask if I want cafe!  >:(

Offline csafranek

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Looking great!

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
Looks great so far.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
Nothing on the garage walls!

Ha!

Just wait.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 06:44:52 AM »
Alright ladies and gents of the forum... I'm turning to all of you for advice/help again...

I fired it up last night for my first run of 10 pizzas. No pics, because the pizzas got eaten waaaaay to fast!  =(  (I'll remedy that today with our session of 30 pies...)  My wife did snap one shot of the 2nd to last pizza in the oven, which is below...

I fired my oven for almost 2 hours, and wasn't able to get the floor up to 800 degrees... the highest I ever hit was 650 on the floor close to the fire, and 850 on the dome.  Anything farther away from the embers was registering about 450ish...  I had four logs going at the same time in the back corner, but couldn't seem to push the temp any higher.

A few things that might be an issue:

1.  My chimney hasn't been delivered yet, so I'm likely not getting as much venturi effect as I'd like.
2.  I still don't really know what I'm doing to pull in at a higher temp. 

Any advice on what to do to push the temperature more?  I'd like to hit at LEAST 800 on the floor with 1000 on top, preferably higher if possible...  Should I not push the wood back in the corner until later?  Do I need more wood?  Help?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:03:20 AM by derricktung »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 07:35:24 AM »
That bad boy's gonna need 3 hours minimum of a good hearty fire to even begin to saturate. Wood is cheap. I make my initial fire a raging inferno.

Then, try cutting some small pieces of wood, or get sawdust, or anything that you can throw on the embers that causes a flame to almost immediately start to roll across 1/2 to 2/3 of the dome. Then you'll be happy.

But you may be right about the chimney.

Good Luck!

John K

Question:    Did the dome of your oven clear (black soot burned completely off) in 2 hours? That would be really quick. That's pretty much the sign my oven's ready. I actually don't even measure initial floor temp much anymore!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:40:15 AM by Serpentelli »

Offline derricktung

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »

Question:    Did the dome of your oven clear (black soot burned completely off) in 2 hours? That would be really quick. That's pretty much the sign my oven's ready. I actually don't even measure initial floor temp much anymore!

John,

The oven soot started to go white at the end of an hour.  Per Antoine, I'm supposed to be able to hit temps within an hour?  (per his website as well: http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/frontpage/products/oven-1030-c)

Perhaps I was too stingy with the wood from the start?  I definitely didn't have a raging inferno, and could easily fit in another four stack or so...

I'll try again tonight with more firewood to start and see how it does.  In good news, it retains heat well (350 this morning) but we'll see what it's at at 4:00 when I start refiring.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
John,

The oven soot started to go white at the end of an hour.  Per Antoine, I'm supposed to be able to hit temps within an hour?  (per his website as well: http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/frontpage/products/oven-1030-c)

Perhaps I was too stingy with the wood from the start?  I definitely didn't have a raging inferno, and could easily fit in another four stack or so...

I'll try again tonight with more firewood to start and see how it does.  In good news, it retains heat well (350 this morning) but we'll see what it's at at 4:00 when I start refiring.

I see where it says firing time 1 hour.

Someone also told me once that it takes 4 hours to drive from Wilmington NC to Atlanta.  :)

Use so much wood at first that you think you're going to melt the concrete. And plan on 3 hours fire up time. Use this time to get your pizza face on. Once you see how hot you are able to get that baby, then you can dial it back to your preferences. It was like an epiphany for me when I got my oven hot enough for the first time.

BTW I am assuming your oven is fully cured. If not, ignore everything I just said. You'll crack your dome!

Good luck!

John K

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Agree on the large fire to start. Is your wood very dry?  I've gotten my oven (1030c also) to 800 plus in a 90 min but find the norm about 2 hrs. If its cold or windy etc a bit longer.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
So I did cure it, but likely a bit faster than I'd like... here was the schedule:

Day 1: 200 degrees.
Day 2: 350 degrees.
Day 3 (yesterday):  650 floor, 850 ceiling.
Day 4:  (Today):  will be going all out and blasting it.

Before I even did the 200 degree cure, I halogen lamped 8 hours a day for a week.  (About 150 degrees). 

Think the moisture is driven out yet?

Alright... I'm going to pack that baby full of wood tonight and see what happens...

Offline derricktung

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »
Alright, so I got the oven temps right this time around...

Oven started at 240 when I began firing at 3:30 PM.

Loaded it with the "Top down" fire theory, with two super dried logs from the night before on the bottom, smaller logs on top, kindling, newspaper, Weber starter cube, etc.  The pile lit pretty much immediately.  Three big logs on the bottom, two medium logs on top, and newspaper throughout.

By 5:00, the oven was running 800+ on the floor close to the fire and I was unable to get reading on the ceiling (my gun only goes to 1022).

Threw in one log around 8:30 PM just for good measure to keep the temp up, but otherwise, most people were done eating.  We got one picture off last night, but the rest were eaten too fast by neighbors, backers of the project, and volunteers.

I'm going to put on the final finish stucco layer this morning (and the veneer stones) so I'll check the morning temp

Early pizzas were easily 90 seconds a bake, while later in the evening, closer to 2 minutes...  the dough was an emergency dough (too many pizza parties this weekend to do a multi day ferment), so I'm looking forward to seeing how the browning improves when we take our time to ferment the dough instead.

Still need some work on getting great roundness, partially because when I stick 20 doughs in the dough box, they all eventually merge together and they come out a bit square...  am I overcrowding the box?  Dough are between 7.4 and 7.7 oz...

Offline derricktung

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
And here's what I've been doing for the last 8.5 hours... time for a break... 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
Derrick, cut a hole in the middle of a cheap Harbor Freight tarp and slip in over your dome to protect that beautiful trailer!  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline derricktung

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Derrick, cut a hole in the middle of a cheap Harbor Freight tarp and slip in over your dome to protect that beautiful trailer!  :)

Doh!  Wish I got the advice earlier... I'm already done with my stucco work!  =)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
Doh!  Wish I got the advice earlier... I'm already done with my stucco work!  =)
Sorry man...I can only call 'em as I see 'em!  :-D

Looks like you were pretty neat though...5x's better than I'd probably rush through an end up with. :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:51:15 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan