Author Topic: First Pie  (Read 1087 times)

Offline z-man

First Pie
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
Finally got the time to fire my first pies tonight. Started a little rough as the first pie almost flopped across the entire deck  :'( which the peanut gallery that attended found ohhhhh so amusing! By the end of the night I was getting into a nice rythm but still have a lot of work to do. Went with TXCraigs NP dough recipe which was great! I made 3 different doughs changing yeast% and Hydration% and ball temps. It is amazing to me how each one feels and cooks so different when making such subtle % changes. The overall winner for this hot night was 62% hydration and 1% culture and 73 degree dough balls. I want thank TXCraig for posting his recipe as it will save many of us newbies countless hours just to get to this point and truly a great baseline recipe.

I also purchased tools from John C which worked like a dream. Cant say I would ever imagine changing one thing about em and will try to get some pictures next time of them in action. Thanks John!

The pies were cooking in around 75-80 seconds without having to dome any of the pizzas but still couldnt figure out how to keep the basil from burning. Maybe i will try soaking them in EVOO before as other people suggest. I know I can jsut put it on at the end but the research I do it appears they put the Basil on before it goes into the oven?

Anyway, here are a few of the photos and any advice would be greatly appreciated as always. I did forget to take under the crust photos wihch I will make sure to take next time.

Offline z-man

Re: First Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Just looked that that first pie photo again and it kind of looks like Italy. Must be good karma  :P

Offline ridr44

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
What exactly are the tools from John C that I have been hearing about?  Thanks  Dan

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
Z-Man, congrats on your 1st. If you wanted you could put your cheese more on top of the basil, I believe it would help keep it from burning. I put mine on after it is out of the oven, perhaps less traditional, but I like it that way.
Can't wait to see your 2nd cook. :chef:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Yes. Is there a link for john c tools?
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline z-man

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
Send him a pm he will hook you up. Everything he recommended seemed like just the right tool for the job.

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Cant find a john c on the site.   
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »
Cant find a john c on the site.   

try this:JConk007
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
They are supposed to Taste like Italy, not be shaped like them...  Nice pies!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
Those look great, Z!!  Did you find Grande or go with something else? 

I always put my basil on just after sauce, then cheese and oil over it, and that seems to work for me. 

I have to just say, looking at pics of your oven makes me go "Awwww" because I feel like it's family.  I know that's weird, but I can't help it.  They lived together for a long time  ::) :-D 

Offline z-man

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
Those look great, Z!!  Did you find Grande or go with something else? 

I always put my basil on just after sauce, then cheese and oil over it, and that seems to work for me. 

I have to just say, looking at pics of your oven makes me go "Awwww" because I feel like it's family.  I know that's weird, but I can't help it.  They lived together for a long time  ::) :-D

Hi Robyn-

Still looking for Grande and after a few stops around town came up empty. Still haven't had the time for my 2nd bake as I am still in the process of finishing my outdoor project which the wife is ohh so nice to keep reminding me about  :P Do you feel Grande is worth it? How does it freeze/keep?

Thanks everyone for the advice about the basil seems like such a simple solution of putting it under the cheese a bit which I never would have thought about. Cant wait to experiment with some other pies next time.

Cheers

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
Very Nice Z Man!
Glad the tools worked out! thanks for the review  ;) Its  hard not to like such a feel good, look good, work good tool. sounds like a few $bucks at  intitial investment  but they Last forever! I have literally 1000'S of pie off my launch peel and still going along just Fine.
Pizza pointer  would be use fresh mootz. or Fiore D latte and to chunk/tear by hand , slice like a french fry , or cube you mozz. That will give youa better look and a small bite  of cheese with most bites.  :P
The Four Grande Mere 950B is  looking great as well !
John
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:55:34 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com