Author Topic: Anyone tried Sarpinos yet?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Anyone tried Sarpinos yet?
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »
This franchise is starting to pop up all over the Midwest.  They use a blend of Mozz/Edam.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Anyone tried Sarpinos yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
We had one move in to our neighborhood late last year.  I decided to give it a try a couple months ago.  The best way I can describe it is a close cousin to Papa John's, but somewhat better than PJ's.  As a reference, of all of the major chains, PJ's tends to be the one I will be willing to eat, but I found in recent years PJ's quality is very haphazard and unreliable, at least from the locations near me.  So, Sarpino's would work for me if I need something cheap and delivered, but generally speaking, it is also still a chain pizza in quality, as one would expect.  I have not physically visited a Sarpino's location, so I cannot convey any comments about their process or ingredients.

-ME
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:35:43 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Here is their dough formulation.

100% - Hi Gluten Flour (primo gusto)
56.5% Water
Virgin Olive Oil - 1.5%
Vegetable Oil - 1%
Sugar - 1%
Salt - 1%
ADY - 1%

Proof yeast with 95F water and sugar for 10-15 min.   Add oils, salt then yeast.  Knead for 12 minutes.  Ball and let rise at room temp for 1-1.5 hrs.  Press doughball into a greased (oven spray) non perforated aluminum pan (American metal craft). Let rise again for 1 hr then press out again and put into 35F cooler for 8-24hrs.    They use a 3 to 1 ratio of WM mozz and Edam cheese.

Bake at 435F for 6 mins.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:33:23 PM by pythonic »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
Here is their dough formulation.

100% - Hi Gluten Flour (primo gusto)
56.5% Water
Virgin Olive Oil - 1.5%
Vegetable Oil - 1%
Sugar - 1%
Salt - 1%
ADY - 1%

Proof yeast with 95F water and sugar for 10-15 min.   Add oils, salt then yeast.  Knead for 12 minutes.  Ball and let rise at room temp for 1-1.5 hrs.  Press doughball into a greased (oven spray) non perforated aluminum pan (American metal craft). Let rise again for 1 hr then press out again and put into 35F cooler for 8-24hrs.    They use a 3 to 1 ratio of WM mozz and Edam cheese.

Bake at 435F for 6 mins.

Is this the place you work at part time Nate?
I like the sound of dough management....especially the going back into cooler aspect, interesting.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
Yes it is.  I however think their pizza isn't too good.  Papa johns is WAY better and this is the company they are trying to replicate.   Their crust is too sweet and lacks flavor.  The cheese blend is very odd as well.  The company is European/Russian owned and I just don't feel they know what pizza should taste like.