Author Topic: Those using Tomato Magic, what ingredients do you add?  (Read 2595 times)

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
Those using Tomato Magic, what ingredients do you add?
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:44:18 AM »
I've been using 6 in 1 for quite awhile and picked up a can of Stanislaus Tomato Magic to try something new, and am unfamiliar with its properties. I am hoping that some users can post their recipes of what they add to Tomato Magic make their pizza sauce.

Thanks in advance 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Those using Tomato Magic, what ingredients do you add?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »
orangeman1,

As you can see from the cross-reference chart at http://www.pizzamaking.com/escalon_stanislaus.html, the Stanislaus Tomato Magic product is considered to be the counterpart to the Escalon 6 IN 1 peeled ground tomatoes. Escalon also sells a retail level counterpart to the 6 IN 1 peeled ground tomatoes under the Classico brand, as shown at https://tomatoes.classico.com/products/. The Classico product is sold in most Wal-Marts. If you compare the Nutrition Facts for the Tomato Magic product with the Classico product, you will see that their ingredients are not the same, nor are the nutrients the same for the two products. However, they are perhaps close enough so that you can use the Tomato Magic product much like you would use the 6 In 1s or the Classico version. Escalon does not routinely disclose the Nutrition Facts for its 6 IN 1 product but it sometimes shows up on nutrition websites, such as at http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=2723848, where you can see that there are not major variations between the 6 IN 1 product and the Classico product.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
I use both 6 and 1 and tomato magic a lot.   They are indeed VERY similar.   6 in 1's are a little thicker and dont have the "tang" you get from the citric acid in tomato magic.    Some might lead you to believe that citic acid is a bad thing, but I actually think it can help in some instances.     If I am using a sour dough culture I definitely go for 6 in 1's because the dough will provide a little tang.    If I am using commercial yeast I like that the tang tomato magic has beacuse it combines with the fatty cheese ant toppings in a nice way that I think is desirable.   

All I add to either of these is fresh basil, and a touch of olive oil,  but you could of course do the standard "american" pizzeria thing of using garlic powder, oregano, etc....   I feel like I get enough salt from my crust/cheese that I dont need to add salt to either of these products.     I do ad salt to Italian tomatoes, however, which are usually packed with much less salt than california tomatoes.

good luck!   

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
scott r,

How much fresh basil do you use for a #10 can?

I've never added fresh basil. Do you chop it up finely?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:44:40 PM by orangeman1 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
Its hard to measure fresh basil, but I mince it as finely as I possibly can and put in a handful.   

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. I tried it tonight, and while I really liked the flavor, I was very surprised that the citric acid bothered me significantly such that I won't be continuing with it. It is rare that I experience this, but it just didn't agree with me.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. I tried it tonight, and while I really liked the flavor, I was very surprised that the citric acid bothered me significantly such that I won't be continuing with it. It is rare that I experience this, but it just didn't agree with me.
Hmmm, I thought 7-11 had the extra citric added. Maybe you got a mickey can orangeman...did you taste it before use and decide if it needed any adjustment(sugar or salt)?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
I didn't try to make any adjustment, I just added, salt, sugar, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese at the beginning. The citric acid didn't hit me until a couple of hours later. I'm thinking that maybe I have a low threshold for it, since nobody else has reported this problem for Tomato Magic

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »
Adding salt and parm will do that to you if the sauce's salt level was originally balanced.

Just wait till you get older.... :-D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:09:33 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »
I use Tomato magic all the time, it needs a good amount of sugar id say about 2.5 ounces for a #10 can. I came to this conclusion because I use 2 cans of full red pizza sauce and 1 can Tomato magic I put about 8 ounces of sugar and 2 ounces of salt in the whole thing there is also oregano, black pepper, oil, basil, and pecorino romano in it. First time i ued Tomato magic I didnt use enough sugar tasted really tomatoey and acidic.
Jamie

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
I just opened a #10 can of Tomato Magic today to use for my meatballs and pasta.  It tasted great right out of the can - nice and sweet with just the right amount of salt for my taste with a bright tomatoey flavor!  All I added was two minced fresh basil leaves and a crushed clove of garlic and then hit it with the boat motor (I mean the immersion blender). Then added the meatballs. The next time I'm at RD, I will definitely buy more to use on my pizza too.  It's a good backup for me when I can't find my Sclafani crushed tomatoes  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I prefer the 7/11 over tomato magic.  I like the skins in the sauce.  I tried the Sclafani  NJ tomatoes (bought a case) and still prefer the 7/11's.  That was tough to admit because I am a NJ native and love the NJ homegrowns.  I add some grated DOP Romano Pecorino, a tad of dried oregano, tad of fresh crushed garlic, and a bit of EVOO, to the 7/11's.  I add the same to TM when I have used it.  Walter

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
Canned plum tomatoes, tomato magic, italian peeled tomatoes, saporito super heavy pizza sauce, sugar and water and voila! Cheap, simple, easy made pizza sauce.
Dough, stretch, sauce, cheese; check.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »
I prefer the 7/11 over tomato magic.  I like the skins in the sauce.  I tried the Sclafani  NJ tomatoes (bought a case) and still prefer the 7/11's.  That was tough to admit because I am a NJ native and love the NJ homegrowns.  I add some grated DOP Romano Pecorino, a tad of dried oregano, tad of fresh crushed garlic, and a bit of EVOO, to the 7/11's.  I add the same to TM when I have used it.  Walter

Glad you shared all that, Walter, because I was curious if there was a little oregano in your sauce. I thought I tasted just a hint of oregano, and that's what I thought gave your sauce a whole different dimension than when I've made NY style pizzas with 7/11. I've never really cared much for oregano in NY style sauce, but you changed my mind yesterday because your sauce had just the right amount. The right amount = just enough to make me wonder if there was oregano in the sauce.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Glad you shared all that, Walter, because I was curious if there was a little oregano in your sauce. I thought I tasted just a hint of oregano, and that's what I thought gave your sauce a whole different dimension than when I've made NY style pizzas with 7/11. I've never really cared much for oregano in NY style sauce, but you changed my mind yesterday because your sauce had just the right amount. The right amount = just enough to make me wonder if there was oregano in the sauce.

Ryan:  I have had NY style pies back home with a bit of oregano in the sauce and with it sprinkled on the sauce once it is on the dough.  I have also had lots of sauces back home that seemed to have nothing in them but the ground tomatoes (too bland for my taste) and straight mozz (also to bland for me).  Thanks.  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »
Every time I see the title of this post I think the same thing: that Tomato Magic sounds like something sold to be added to tomatoes and not the other way around.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
A friend that works at a restaurant uses this recipe for pizza sauce.

3 Cans Tomato Magic
1 1/2 cups Oregano
1/3 cup Salt
1/3 cup Fine Black Pepper
1/4 cup Granulated Garlic
1/4 cup Chopped Garlic

I am sure that they are using three #10 Cans of Tomato magic, so you will have to do the math to reduce the recipe to make it work for one # 10 Can.  You might even want to scale it down to a 1/4 amount of the #10 can Tomato magic and see if you like it or not?

TomN
PS
I would be interested in your feedback.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Here is the link to Stanislaus Foods Recipes (the company that makes Tomato Magic)

http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-search-result?page=1
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:39:27 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »
Here is the link specifically for recipes that use Tomato Magic. NOTE:There are two pages.

http://www.stanislaus.com/family-recipes/recipe-search-result?page=1