Author Topic: A nice 27 minute interview and story on Anthony Mangieiri  (Read 1763 times)

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
A nice 27 minute interview and story on Anthony Mangieiri
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
The Pizza Purist

I enjoyed it.  :)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: A nice 27 minute interview and story on Anthony Mangieiri
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Enjoyable...Perplexing...Thought-Provoking Interview.

I like the question "Don't you get bored?" Its a hypothetical that I often ask myself when I am daydreaming and thinking about having pizza play a bigger role in my life than it currently does...

John K

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
Yes very cool interview.  I would like to try his pizza sometime.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
Very interesting interview, thanks for sharing.

$20 for a 9" 12" pizza? Is that Cali' pricing or is it really worth the $? I haven't frequented many Neapolitan joints but the ones I have were $10-$15.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:18:06 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
JD,

My recollection is that at the time Anthony closed UPN in NYC, he was charging $21 for a basic Margherita pizza. And he always defended his prices. In fact, I think that in one of the videos about Anthony he said that he didn't charge enough for his pizzas, or words to that effect.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
Very interesting interview, thanks for sharing.

$20 for a 9" pizza? Is that Cali' pricing or is it really worth the $? I haven't frequented many Neapolitan joints but the ones I have were $10-$15.

I remember them being larger than 9" fwiw.

That's pretty subjective. I know people that feel strongly on bothe sides-I've had his pizza a few times and would again. I'd pay that all day vs $10 for a large crappy pizza chain or otherwise.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
I believe Anthony's pizzas as listed on his menu were always 12".

Peter

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
The 9" reference was in the interview.... unless I was hearing things?  <--- I was hearing things...

I agree it's subjective. I'm trying to compare apples to apples, as in other Neapolitan restaurants. I'd pay the $20 if it were worth it, but it would probably be very infrequently (special occasions). Seems like he is very successful so obviously the $20 is worth it in his demographics.

Anyhow, I'd still love to try it.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:18:47 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »

At the 00:50 mark in the interview, the interviewer (not Anthony) says: "$20.- for a 12" pie"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
Mangieiri's model (doing 100% of the work 100% of the time) does NOT support the theory that he is "in it for the money".  He is motivated by something other than the greenback.  Anthony has not called me recently for business advice ..... But if he did, I'd tell him to charge as much as he could!  ;D

Frankly, I think most purveyors of artisan Neapolitan-style pizzas (including the incredibly talented pizzaiolos here) undercharge for their products! I say charge whatever the market you are in will bear!

John K

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
I guess I need a vacation. Not sure where I came up with the 9" size.

Carry on
Josh

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »
Wow, I thought the interviewer did a fabulous job!!!  He brought out the best of Anthony Mangieri!

Thanks
John

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
$20 isn't too far off from the prices other Neo places are charging for their pizzas in SF - maybe $2 more expensive?

Last time I was at UPN, it was Anthony making all the pizzas but he had at least two other folks taking orders and seating folks.  Sure, it's a little bit more $ for the pies, but you're also seeing him at work so you can think of it performance art as well.  His prep table is right out there for you to see, and you can see him making every pie from start to finish.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
Regarding the size of Tony's pies.

I'm in SF this week with the family.  We ordered 4 pies last night all of which were oblong and seemed small.  I measured the longest diameter-about 10 inches, short diameter 9 inches; they definitely would not fill an Alessi plate.

As per the rest of the pie:
Mozz was slightly sour, good tooth, sparse as expected but still the right amount.
Tomato sauce-mildest and most under stated sauce I've ever had.  No acid and minimal
     seeds.
Olive oil-best I ever had.
Dough and bake-the Chaunicione was light and pillowy; the dough was moist which was fine for the rim but when it joined the base of the pie it was gummy(more than a gum line). Slight sour flavor but nothing like SF bread.  The bake was slightly uneven although it had nice char points. It was not heavy in the belly.  For what it is worth my frame of reference for an evenly perfectly baked pie is 00 also in SF (a wfo place with hybrid pie).
Price wise $20 may seem expensive elsewhere but this is SF.

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »

As per the rest of the pie:
Mozz was slightly sour, good tooth, sparse as expected but still the right amount.
Tomato sauce-mildest and most under stated sauce I've ever had.  No acid and minimal
     seeds.
Olive oil-best I ever had.
Dough and bake-the Chaunicione was light and pillowy; the dough was moist which was fine for the rim but when it joined the base of the pie it was gummy(more than a gum line). Slight sour flavor but nothing like SF bread. 

Bob

Sorry folks...that don't sound like a small, individual $20 pie that I would ever return for. And as far as this...
Sure, it's a little bit more $ for the pies, but you're also seeing him at work so you can think of it performance art as well.  His prep table is right out there for you to see, and you can see him making every pie from start to finish.
Are you serious?  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 04:47:16 AM »
Chicago Bob, I can understand what ccgus means when saying we can consider it "performance art". With regard to Neapolitan Pizza, it is considered "artisan" by nature, and that very word implies "art" or something that appreciation is sought after by the artist, and artisan. There are many of us that are willing to spend good money to travel to see some of the best NP artists where they perform. Many of us here on the boards are perfectly capable of producing Neapolitan pies, but I would venture to say that having a chance to visit Naples, for example, and see some of the most famous pizzaioli in person, doing what they do, would be something we'd love to do. I recently visited Nagoya to see probably one of the most famous pizzaioli in Japan. It cost an arm and a leg for Shinkansen tickets and the hotel for my family, but I wanted to go there to, not only try his "Champion" pizza, but to see him make it. Unfortunately, he was not at the restaurant when I visited so I was fairly disappointed. The pizza was great, and the prices are unbeatable for VPN pizza. But it wasn't the same without the artist performing. :(

When I'm in San Francisco next year, I want to visit UPN and see Anthony Mangieri in action. As a NP enthusiast, heck, I could just hang out all day and watch him work; from the dough in the morning to the firing of his oven, to the baking of his first pies. But it's not just the bigger named pizzaioli who make a living selling pizza, I think many of us would love to drop in for a couple days at TXCraig1's house to watch him work and then enjoy eating his artistic(artisan) creations, many of which we've all seen in his art gallery. And if we did, don't you think Craig would feel as if he's performing under the lights? I sure do, when I have guests over for pizza.  :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »
For more of Craig's artwork (and the handiwork of other members), see Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7799.msg67003.html#msg67003 .

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »
I found the interview inspiring, reasuring, and I hope to meet the man someday.  I have lived my life exactly how  he has but with 3 passions - playing music, teaching special education, and making piizza/breads.   I have walked blindly with my passions and with no regard for money.  Money will always follow.  Maybe not enough to own the big house and big toys but they pale in comarparison  to being excited about ones life.   He is right on with following his heart.  He walked blindly and it all worked out.  I have made no plans to be a musician, teacher, or pizza maker.    They all came to me and were way more exciting to explore than sitting down with a calculator and figuring out the best way to be finacially comfortable. 

I spontaneously create all my words and music as I go along and call it Spontobeat.  I am the only person in the world doing this and record about 300 full length cds a year in my recording studio and the music industry told me for decades I couldn't do this.  Yet I played 200-300 dates a year around the world via booking myself, creating my own record label.   I  have been a  one man show with creating my bakery/pizzeria within our high school, and will only make pizzas/breads/baked goods  that interest me.  When I retire I will have a shop similar to his in concept- the 1 man show.  If we all followed our  hearts instead of $ the world would be a much more loving and  hopeful place.  I have no interest or real respect for these pizzerias that make nine  million topped/types of pies, and all other kinds of side items and hype campaigns to bring in customers.  I will make 1 basic pie when I retire and open my own shop and a few toppings.  Why?  Because that is what I like and if one does what they love others will love it to. 

One has to lay it all on the line when running on passion.  That is what it is all about.  This puts you right in the radar for people that are frustrated with their lives and they will attack you as an egomaniac and such.  It is a reflection on how sad they are about their lives and the fears that keep them from letting thier passions blossom.  Learning to deal with this is also a life time journey.  I am 56 and can hear myself in Anthony big time.  Life is all about learning to master something for me and as he says it is a lifetime journey.  I still have a long way to go with this journey as well as dealing with  the critics of  my music, teaching, pizza/baking.    Conversely, one will find joys and hopes/dreams that the frustrated souls will never know.  Anthony is a fellow NJ boy and I am proud of him!  Walter

our bakery/pizzeria
http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032

my music;

200 most recent songs in a streaming format

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

bio/0ver 5,000 songs

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:27:24 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
Walter,

This Mangieri video has been cited on the forum before but it is always fun and interesting to view, and you can perhaps relate to it more than most:

Obsessives - Pizza

This is also an interesting and very nicely done Mangieri video, with a haunting and mesmerizing soundtrack and without a single word spoken:

NATURALLY RISEN

Peter

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »
Bravo Walter!

Great take on the interview!

John K

pizzapan