Author Topic: A nice 27 minute interview and story on Anthony Mangieiri  (Read 2488 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: A nice 27 minute interview and story on Anthony Mangieiri
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
+1 Very well said Walter. This, along with that second video Pete posted, makes me understand a little better why he charges $20/pizza.

He's got some ego though... I would assume he's saying (in the first video) that there are no good Neapolitan pizza restaurants in NYC, and not discounting all styles.

Bravo Walter!

Great take on the interview!

John K
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »
Walter,

Can you tell me where your music can be accessed at the abovereferenced link?

Peter

Peter,

I think Walter posted links to his music at Reply 576 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21797.msg232462.html#msg232462

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
...He's got some ego though... I would assume he's saying (in the first video) that there are no good Neapolitan pizza restaurants in NYC, and not discounting all styles.

Yeah. He's got an enormous ego, from what I've seen. But has there ever been a renowned artist, famous musician, or elite athlete who didn't have an over-sized ego? I think it's prerequisite for success to some extent. Heck, as much as I know that I have a lot to learn about dough and pizza making in general from you guys, I'm incredibly confident when I have guests over for my pizza...almost to the point of warning them to "get ready for the pizza experience of your lives!". But I would sense the same atmosphere from many other members here as well. :)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
He seems like the kind of guy who would be fun to have some beeeeeeeeers with.

And also, the kind of guy, if he was your friend, who would have your back if some big dummy was getting in your face and threatening to beat you to a pulp.

If that's the kind of situation you were getting yourself into.... :angel:

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
hey everyone... I just want to point out that buffalo mozzarella is $13 a pound WHOLESALE at foodservice providers here in southern MA.  Being as anthony is another 6 hours further by plane from italy, I have a feeling he is paying at least that, if not more for his buffalo mozzarella.    Be careful when comparing his prices to other neapolitan pizzerias because almost all of them use cows milk mozzarella.    around here the highest quality cows milk mozzarella is 4.50 a pound wholesale.   I also happen to think that anthony's pizzas are amazing, and blow away what I have had at just about every other neapolitan pizzeria, but thats besides the point.   His food costs are HIGH.   What does it cost to ship your own family olive oil from italy?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:40:23 AM by scott r »

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
Sorry folks...that don't sound like a small, individual $20 pie that I would ever return for. And as far as this... Are you serious?  ::)

Yep- I'm mostly serious.  When I was there, people were just standing and watching him make pizzas- it can be an education for the right person.  Look at how this post started- an interview with the guy.  People really like his work and are willing to pay to see it.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
Yep- I'm mostly serious.  When I was there, people were just standing and watching him make pizzas- it can be an education for the right person.  Look at how this post started- an interview with the guy.  People really like his work and are willing to pay to see it.
"right" being the operative word. I can see that.
But for me to be just going out for a good pizza...if the $20 price tag only gets me a pie that Bobino reviewed, well, I don't care who is making it because I'm not there to be watching him/her.

I should get a discount, right?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Walter,

Can you tell me where your music can be accessed at the abovereferenced link?

Peter

Thanks Norma!  I see you have followed your passion as well!

Peter:   Here are some links.  My old computer doesn't always copy the link right and the cursor jumps all over the place so please excuse my many typos.  Someday I will buy a new computer......  thanks for those video too. I can relate to it all.  I hope I get to meet this guy someday.  Walter

my music;

200 most recent songs in a streaming format

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

bio/0ver 5,000 songs

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137

Ego is often misued in a bad way in our culture.  When one feels they are the best they are.  Whatever others think is really of no consequence in this.   When the passion is driving your life you understand this.  Most don't have such strong passions and see the " I am the greatest" statement as a boastful thing because they have been broken by our cookie cutter society and no longer feel that unique 1 of a kind spirit they really are.  Instead they fear walking blindly into the unknown and feel more secure, but often frustrated, following the safe, tried and true path.  My friend told me today of his father who once almost bought the empire state building and today is penniless.  He has no regrets because  he follows his dreams.  Unfortunately his biggest dream turned into a bust with clam farms in Florida.  He also said "don't worry about the zeros after a number. If you go bust you go bust.   If we are following our dreams we always take the most joy out of our journey and would never trade it for another persons.  That makes you the greatest! 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:17:37 PM by waltertore »

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
There is a lot of talk about Tony's ego but from my encounters with him he is soft spoken, smiles a lot and does not have an in your face pizza diva attitude.  Although not the best pizza ever he has a right to be proud of his product. 
For those of you who have not visited his SF restaurant allow me to describe the layout.  Upon entering you see Tony's workstation which is surrounded by a railing so the riffraff i.e. you and me cannot get within ten feet of him.  This is so pretentious it is silly but you can approach.    Like the rest of us he has good and bad doughs, good and bad bakes.  It is hard to have a big ego when the dough is the boss.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 02:56:35 PM »

Thanks Norma!  I see you have followed your passion as well!

Walter,

I like your philosophy.  You are following your dreams and have achieved much along the way. 

As for me, I never will be rich either, but I enjoy what I do.  I never will be like Tony Mangieri, but that is okay with me.  I just fell into making pizza and never really planned on it.  I do enjoy watching videos of Tony and being able to hear what he has to say.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
Upon entering you see Tony's workstation which is surrounded by a railing so the riffraff i.e. you and me cannot get within ten feet of him.  This is so pretentious it is silly but you can approach.

Here's a good picture of his place showing the layout: http://www.unapizza.com/sf/normal/normal_inside.jpg

If he didn't have the railing, I'd image folks would be crowding around trying to get close to the oven and such.  I know I'd try :)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »
There is a lot of talk about Tony's ego but from my encounters with him he is soft spoken, smiles a lot and does not have an in your face pizza diva attitude.  Although not the best pizza ever he has a right to be proud of his product. 
For those of you who have not visited his SF restaurant allow me to describe the layout.  Upon entering you see Tony's workstation which is surrounded by a railing so the riffraff i.e. you and me cannot get within ten feet of him.  This is so pretentious it is silly but you can approach.    Like the rest of us he has good and bad doughs, good and bad bakes.  It is hard to have a big ego when the dough is the boss.

Bob

That's odd, I was talking to him right over his prep table while in line in SF. I noticed zero pretentiousness just functionality.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
Jeff

Perhaps you misinterpreted my comments.  I too approached the work area to talk to him; as I stated "you can approach."
The presence of the railing is pretentious, if not what function does it serve?  No such railing exists at other well known SF places such as A-16, Tony G, or 00. There was no rail to separate Chris in the prep area from the customer at Biancos or Roberto at Keste.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Jeff

Perhaps you misinterpreted my comments.  I too approached the work area to talk to him; as I stated "you can approach."
The presence of the railing is pretentious, if not what function does it serve?  No such railing exists at other well known SF places such as A-16, Tony G, or 00. There was no rail to separate Chris in the prep area from the customer at Biancos or Roberto at Keste.

I guessed it was to help with where the line should form since it is near the entrance. Different perceptions I suppose.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »

Bob

Bob, at Tony's, it is not a railing. It is a bar type area with seats. Guests can sit at the bar and watch Tony cook.
He was very busy the day I was there, but also very cordial.

Mark

These pics were not upside down on my iPad. Don't know how to fix?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:44:30 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »
Mark

You are right that there is a bar type area where one can watch and eat at Tony Gemignani's place in North Beach .  This thread refers to Tony Mangieri of Una Pizza Napoletana in SoMa (South of Market).

Bob

pizzapan