Author Topic: how to measure IDY  (Read 1424 times)

Offline judyDenver

how to measure IDY
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
I cannot figure out how to accurately measure IDY.  My scale does not measure amounts below 1 gram.

I have 2 different recipes which call for .5 and .74 grams of IDY.   Since I cannot weigh the yeast should I use measuring spoons?  I do have a mini set of measuring spoons called
a dash (which is 1/8 tsp ), a pinch and a smidgen.  does 1/8 tsp  equal .5 grams?  can I add a pinch and a dash to equal 3/4 grams?

Measuring by pinches between the forefinger and thumb doesn't sound very reliable to me. 

thanks

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: how to measure IDY
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
Judy,
Take a look at this chart...I have it set up for converting .5 grams of active yeast.....http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Bob

.08 teaspoons
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:37:35 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline judyDenver

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
wow--your calculator really did the trick.  I learned that my dash (1/8 tsp) is .75 gr, pinch 1/16 tsp is .37 gram and smidgen 1/32 is .189 grams

For .5 grams I can use my pinch and smidgen and be really close to the target amount.   

Thanks!

Judy

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »
wow--your calculator really did the trick.  I learned that my dash (1/8 tsp) is .75 gr, pinch 1/16 tsp is .37 gram and smidgen 1/32 is .189 grams

For .5 grams I can use my pinch and smidgen and be really close to the target amount.   

Thanks!

Judy
Where did you learn of the weights for your micro spoons Judy?

Offline judyDenver

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
I copied this from www.accuracyproject.org  It's easy to verify the dash because 2 dashes equals 1/4 tsp. 

SMIDGEN - A smidgen holds 1/2 pinch or 1/32 teaspoon. 2 smidgens = 1 pinch

PINCH - A pinch holds 1/2 dash or 1/16 teaspoon. 2 pinches = 1 dash
A pinch has historically been defined as "an amount that can be taken between the thumb and forefinger" but without any definite equivalent in other units of measurement.

DASH - A dash holds 1/8 teaspoon. 8 dashes = 1 teaspoon
A dash was originally considered a liquid measure, a small but indefinite amount. More recently the term has been used as both a liquid and dry measurement.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »
OK great....does your pinch and smidgen combined look close to this.....
.48 gram

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:46:43 AM »
Judy,

Dissolve 10g yeast in 90g water. The solution is now 10% yeast or 0.1g yeast per 1g solution. For .5g yeast, use 5g of the solution. Be sure to lower your formula water by the amount added with the yeast. In the case of this example, it would be 4.5g water. If you want to get to 0.01g accuracy with your yeast, dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water. It's now 1% yeast or 0.01g yeast per 1.0g solution.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Judy,

Dissolve 10g yeast in 90g water. The solution is now 10% yeast or 0.1g yeast per 1g solution. For .5g yeast, use 5g of the solution. Be sure to lower your formula water by the amount added with the yeast. In the case of this example, it would be 4.5g water. If you want to get to 0.01g accuracy with your yeast, dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water. It's now 1% yeast or 0.01g yeast per 1.0g solution.

Craig
Should this not read 1 tenth g yeast per 10g of water?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »
Should this not read 1 tenth g yeast per 10g of water?

No. I'm pretty sure it's right the way it wrote it.

.1/1 = 10%

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
No. I'm pretty sure it's right the way it wrote it.

.1/1 = 10%
Sorry and thanks.....my ratio is the same(sorta);just x10 and you are showing Judy how to work with smaller amount to reach her .5g goal.
Darn Icehouse!  :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
Sorry and thanks.....my ratio is the same;just x10 and you are showing Judy how to work with smaller amount to reach her .5g goal.
Darn Icehouse!  :)

A scale that only goes to 1g is really only accurate to +/-0.49g. That is, when it it says 1g, it could really be anything from 0.51g to 1.49g. Your way is probably better. The larger the quantity you weigh, the smaller the error relative to the quantity measured. Unless you're making a really small batch, it probably is better to put 10g yeast in 990g water for 1% yeast or 0.1g per 10g solution. You would then use 50g of the solution for 0.5g. This would reduce the possible error by one order of magnitude.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

Offline thynyc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
My Sur La Table spice measuring spoons are as follows:

Tad = .2 tsp

Dash = 0.15 tsp

Pinch = 0.10 tsp

Smidgen = 0.050 tsp
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
My Sur La Table spice measuring spoons are as follows:

Tad = .2 tsp

Dash = 0.15 tsp

Pinch = 0.10 tsp

Smidgen = 0.050 tsp

They missed one.

Gnat's Ass = 1 individual grain of IDY.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:59 PM »
A scale that only goes to 1g is really only accurate to +/-0.49g. That is, when it it says 1g, it could really be anything from 0.51g to 1.49g. Your way is probably better. The larger the quantity you weigh, the smaller the error relative to the quantity measured. Unless you're making a really small batch, it probably is better to put 10g yeast in 990g water for 1% yeast or 0.1g per 10g solution. You would then use 50g of the solution for 0.5g. This would reduce the possible error by one order of magnitude.
Craig.
Would you please take a look at the screen shot below. There is something that troubles me and I didn't want to scare Judy off on this measuring situation of her's if it's just something I can't wrap my head around.

The screenshot won't download!  >:(

Please plug .5 into converter   you need to select "yeast" from the drop down ingredient list first.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Notice in the right metric box I entered .5g for conversion     the left US convert box kicks out 0.08247 tsp.
Can that be rounded off and just call it 8 hundredths of a tsp. for convenience sake?
Now, if a "smidgen" spoon is 0.050 tsp.  1 and 1/2 smidgens would get you close, correct?
When you look at the amount of yeast in the ramakin on my scale....how come that amount looks waaay more than 8 thousandths of a teaspoon? 8 thousandths sounds like it should only be a few grains sitting inside of a big ol teaspoon. no?
Am I doing something wrong here Craig; thanks for the help!

Bob
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:16:37 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
Craig.
Would you please take a look at the screen shot below. There is something that troubles me and I didn't want to scare Judy off on this measuring situation of her's if it's just something I can't wrap my head around.

The screenshot won't download!  >:(

Please plug .5 into converter   you need to select "yeast" from the drop down ingredient list first.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Notice in the right metric box I entered .5g for conversion     the left US convert box kicks out 0.08247 tsp.
Can that be rounded off and just call it 8 hundredths of a tsp. for convenience sake?
Now, if a "smidgen" spoon is 0.050 tsp.  1 and 1/2 smidgens would get you close, correct?
When you look at the amount of yeast in the ramakin on my scale....how come that amount looks waaay more than 8 thousandths of a teaspoon? 8 thousandths sounds like it should only be a few grains sitting inside of a big ol teaspoon. no?
Am I doing something wrong here Craig; thanks for the help!

Bob

You mean 8 hundredths, not 8 thousandths right?

In any case, I think that website is off by a factor of about 100%. Last time I checked, 7.0g ADY ~ 2.25tsp. So, 0.5g ~ 0.16tsp (not 0.08 tsp like the website says) ~ 3 smidgens ~ 1 dash.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
You mean 8 hundredths, not 8 thousandths right?

In any case, I think that website is off by a factor of about 100%. Last time I checked, 7.0g ADY ~ 2.25tsp. So, 0.5g ~ 0.16tsp (not 0.08 tsp like the website says) ~ 3 smidgens ~ 1 dash.
yes hundredths  :-[
Thanks, glad to see someone else thought their amount seemed really small.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
yes hundredths  :-[
Thanks, glad to see someone else thought their amount seemed really small.

It doesn't just seem small. They definitely have a significant error in their yeast weight-volume relationship.

pizzapan