Author Topic: New limited offer wood fired oven Pizza Party  (Read 4386 times)

Online David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
Re: New limited offer wood fired oven Pizza Party
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
JD, how many pieces of wood did you burn to make the pizza and do you wind up splitting a "normal " fireplace log sized piece to burn in the oven? (A pic of the fire you use would be great assuming you can take one. And a brief explanation of the process. That is, do you start in the middle, move to the side, add wood, etc.  I've seen videos but curious what you did.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »
JD, how many pieces of wood did you burn to make the pizza and do you wind up splitting a "normal " fireplace log sized piece to burn in the oven? (A pic of the fire you use would be great assuming you can take one. And a brief explanation of the process. That is, do you start in the middle, move to the side, add wood, etc.  I've seen videos but curious what you did.

I wasn't really keeping track, but if I had to guess it was between 4-6 "normal" log quarters in about an hour and a half.

I started the fire in the middle but towards the back. I did split the quarters into smaller pieces so it would burn hot & fast, and technically the floor was up to 800+ in like 20 minutes, but I went a full hour to saturate the hearth with heat. After about 30 minutes I moved the fire to the left and kept feeding it relatively small pieces. By an hour the hearth was 950+ opposite of the fire, so I stopped feeding and let it even out for 20 minutes. The floor got to 850 and I threw a handful of very small pieces (think kindling). I made the pizza while the kindling took off and by the time I was ready to launch the entire ceiling had rolling flames. I had to turn the pizza almost constantly because it was very hot in there. That's about it.

Remember, this is the first time I ever fired it so take everything I say with a grain of salt. 

Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
I wasn't really keeping track, but if I had to guess it was between 4-6 "normal" log quarters in about an hour and a half.

I started the fire in the middle but towards the back. I did split the quarters into smaller pieces so it would burn hot & fast, and technically the floor was up to 800+ in like 20 minutes, but I went a full hour to saturate the hearth with heat. After about 30 minutes I moved the fire to the left and kept feeding it relatively small pieces. By an hour the hearth was 950+ opposite of the fire, so I stopped feeding and let it even out for 20 minutes. The floor got to 850 and I threw a handful of very small pieces (think kindling). I made the pizza while the kindling took off and by the time I was ready to launch the entire ceiling had rolling flames. I had to turn the pizza almost constantly because it was very hot in there. That's about it.

Remember, this is the first time I ever fired it so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Don't you like the BS oven JD?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »
Don't you like the BS oven JD?

Bob,

Fire in itself has entertainment value. I wasn't just looking for an oven, but the full Neapolitan experience.  Think gas vs charcoal when doing BBQ.
Josh

Online David Esq.

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 05:21:32 AM »
Thanks JD. The first time experience is important is good to know. I will be curious about the results from shorter burn/less fuel when and if you try that route. I probably should not be thinking WFO given the work involved, but I am drawn to it and the idea of having it in my kitchen would make it a lot more convenient than going outside to a black stone. Still, buying, splitting and storing wood and then having to light a ms manage a fire is a tall order given the available time and would seem to limit use to the weekend. Good enough for me if it didn't take too much time. Right now I turn the gas on and as it preheats I do other stuff until time to shape and top the pizza. When done the oven is ready and I cook.

But ... FIRE, that just seems like a lot of fun. 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 06:10:34 AM »
Beautiful Josh
Deb

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired oven
wood fired oven Pizza Party
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 07:29:04 AM »
Congratulations Josh!
Ignition video
http://youtu.be/M6X4Oj3CPVU?list=UUyc93kGKtR9hcyD2xxW6nrA
more info oven and ignition mkevenson Method
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,32167.0.html

other info Pizza Party wood fired oven
Wood fired oven Pizza Party UK/US
Forno a legna Pizza Party IT
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:50:27 AM by pizza party »
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 08:00:41 AM »
But ... FIRE, that just seems like a lot of fun.

I mentioned it before but fire has that "wow" factor. I wouldn't be so quick to assume making and maintaining a fire being that difficult, it's not when you do it a little while (I've always had a fireplace in my life). I'm definitely going to try the 20 minute heat-up in the next couple weeks.
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 08:01:51 AM »
I guess you can't "like" posts on a vendor's page? Anyway, thanks everyone, this is going to be fun!
Josh

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 10:37:43 AM »
Congrats, I wanna see more!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired oven
wood fired oven neapolitan pizza
« Reply #70 on: Today at 11:04:18 AM »
Only 70 second to cook original neapolitan pizza, Massimo Currņ live
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Online David Esq.

« Reply #71 on: Today at 12:10:54 PM »
Is the blackening at the tip of the door inevitable for a WFO? My concern when seeing this is that it indicates a lot of smoke exiting the oven rather than running out the chimney. Not terribly important, perhaps, if firing outdoors. But indoors is another matter.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #72 on: Today at 12:34:22 PM »
Is the blackening at the tip of the door inevitable for a WFO? My concern when seeing this is that it indicates a lot of smoke exiting the oven rather than running out the chimney. Not terribly important, perhaps, if firing outdoors. But indoors is another matter.
In my experience using this oven, the blackening occurs when leaving the door off. Of course it is important to maintain a good chimney draft.

Mark

Online David Esq.

« Reply #73 on: Today at 12:50:27 PM »
I am sure that is the case! Just worried about blackening the kitchen walls and ceiling as well as generally about adding smoke to the indoors. Not sure how to maintain a good chimney draft. Seems like you either have one or you don't.

Last question that comes to mind is, I see directions for closing the chimney to keep heat in the oven. But that can't be done if you have it connected to a brick chimney, can it?  And if you could, would smoke become a problem? And if you can't, is heat loss a problem?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: Today at 12:55:03 PM »
I am sure that is the case! Just worried about blackening the kitchen walls and ceiling as well as generally about adding smoke to the indoors. Not sure how to maintain a good chimney draft. Seems like you either have one or you don't.

Last question that comes to mind is, I see directions for closing the chimney to keep heat in the oven. But that can't be done if you have it connected to a brick chimney, can it?  And if you could, would smoke become a problem? And if you can't, is heat loss a problem?

The company sells a damper that goes in the oven chimney before the connection to the home chimney. As far as smoke when using the damper, I believe you would leave the damper fully open if you have flame in the PP and only close it once the flame is gone, to maintain heat inside the oven. I have never used the PP to bake anything but pizza , however.

Mark