Author Topic: Lenz' Best Pizza Flour?  (Read 484 times)

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
Lenz' Best Pizza Flour?
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »
I was at restaurant Depot today and they had a flour by the name of Lenz' Best Pizza Flour. I never heard it mentioned on the board before. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Steve

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Lenz' Best Pizza Flour?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »
Good question.  My local RD has the following three Lenz's Best
76069500295   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST ALL PURPOSE FLOUR 25LB   
76069500015   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST GOOD FOR PIZZA HI GLUTEN FLOUR 50lb
76069501826   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST HI-RATIO CAKE FLOUR 50LB BAG

I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a specification sheet or manufacturer's web site to no avail... so I too would be interested in a critique of this flour.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
Good question.  My local RD has the following three Lenz's Best
76069500295   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST ALL PURPOSE FLOUR 25LB   
76069500015   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST GOOD FOR PIZZA HI GLUTEN FLOUR 50lb
76069501826   F/S FOODS   LENZ BEST HI-RATIO CAKE FLOUR 50LB BAG

I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a specification sheet or manufacturer's web site to no avail... so I too would be interested in a critique of this flour.

I'm surprised there was no info. I thought for sure one of the forum members would have tried it.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
This is from the RD flyer.

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
The last of my AT flour sprouted weevils so i ran over to the RD and the only high-gluten flour they had was the mysterious Len'z Best. Desperation won out over confusion and I'll be mixing up a batch of dough tonight using this bag.
There is no information on the bag other than that it is bleached, bromated, enriched and Canadian. I think someone is just re-branding some canadian mills product?

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
The last of my AT flour sprouted weevils so i ran over to the RD and the only high-gluten flour they had was the mysterious Len'z Best. Desperation won out over confusion and I'll be mixing up a batch of dough tonight using this bag.
There is no information on the bag other than that it is bleached, bromated, enriched and Canadian. I think someone is just re-branding some canadian mills product?

Anxious to hear your results.

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
I prepared four doughs last nite and made one tonight and was pretty disappointed with the results. Really no oven spring to speak of, no browning and no taste.  I'm guessing it works better for same-day pizzeria recipes. I'll have to eat the others while i wait for a penn-mac delivery and will follow up if there is any improvement.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
I prepared four doughs last nite and made one tonight and was pretty disappointed with the results. Really no oven spring to speak of, no browning and no taste.  I'm guessing it works better for same-day pizzeria recipes. I'll have to eat the others while i wait for a penn-mac delivery and will follow up if there is any improvement.

Thats disappointing. Thanks for trying it out and reporting back.

Offline caymus

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »

Up until that time did you see any difference in your bakes with AT? I keep my flour for more than a year and wonder if the quality declines.

Thanks

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
My AT was getting to the year old mark too. I had originally repacked it into 5lb portions and stored in vacuum bags, but not frozen. It tasted great, no problems there, after the first Lenz pizza i was tempted to make some buggy AT dough…

I should do another attempt tonight with the new stuff (day 3), but i'm really not looking forward to it.

Offline caymus

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
I recently bought a bag of General Mills Full Strength From RD.  Since it has been below freezing, I left  the bag in my car for 5 days in an attempt to kill any potential bugs.  I did not have any bugs in my last (14 month old) flour but I took advantage of the weather as an extra precaution.

Thanks

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
I have been buying GM Full Strength also for about a year and a half now.  It takes me about 6 months to go through a 50 lb bag.  I store it in large Cambro containers in the pantry and have not had any bug problems either.

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
The second dough gained a little fermentation flavor over the first attempt, but still was disappointing overall. The crunch was powdery, not crisp and the chew was mealy and dense. I now know one of the secrets to making bad pizza.

Fortunately my monday Pennmac order resulted in AT at my door this morning, so all is now right in my world and pizza is back on the menu!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:17:28 AM »
For a few dollars more, you can buy a 50lb bag of Pendelton POWER flour or Pendleton Mondako flour.  Why take a cut in quality to save a few bucks??

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:44:07 PM »
For a few dollars more, you can buy a 50lb bag of Pendelton POWER flour or Pendleton Mondako flour.  Why take a cut in quality to save a few bucks??

I'm not sure which you are referring to, the lenz or the AT? In either case, it is a matter of availability and taste. The Lenz sack was available locally and purchased for that reason in a pinch, not price.  The AT is what my taste buds grew up on, and the purchase is made for that reason alone. My stomach is never on a  budget… lol

pizzapan