Author Topic: King Arthur Flours  (Read 222 times)

Offline dithb

• I Love Pizza!
King Arthur Flours
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
So I'm sure many of you are aware that King Arthur has their own version of "Italian Style" flour that is supposed to mimic tipo 00. I thought about giving it a try, but I saw many of the people on here had commented about how it doesn't work too well because of the low protein content (8.5%).

However, the "French Style" flour that KA carries seems like it might be more like what tipo 00 should be. It's protein content is about 11.5%, and it's advertised as having a more complex flavor than their regular bread flour. Any thoughts on whether or not their French style flour would work on pizza?

Best,

dithb

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Re: King Arthur Flours
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »
French bread makes good pizza in my opinion. In fact, bet any great bread dough will work well for pizza.

Offline dithb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Thanks david!

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
Don't be afraid to experiment. It may not resemble what you get in the restaurant but that doesn't mean it won't be better.  There are those who don't want their pizza to be anything like bread. To them, I say, make a cauliflower crust and your wish will come true.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
dithb - what are the characteristics that you are trying to mimic?   Caputo is probably as cheap as ordering from KA  (i haven't checked the KA price but they generally also charge shipping) but isn't the correct flour in all situations.

Don't be afraid to experiment. It may not resemble what you get in the restaurant but that doesn't mean it won't be better.  There are those who don't want their pizza to be anything like bread. To them, I say, make a cauliflower crust and your wish will come true.

I used to make pizza that was like bread.  It was very good.  Then I learned more about pizza, my tastes evolved and now i'm in that group that doesn't want my pizza to taste like bread.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:53:35 AM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
assuming that Caputo is appropriate for what you are doing :

King Arthur with shipping 9.95 plus 6. = 15.95

Amazon - 5 lb Caputo Pizzeria repack  14.99 free shipping http://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Pizzeria-Flour-Repack/dp/B006XL9W7W/?tag=pmak-20
Deb

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
King Arthur Flours
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
"The crust should deliver the flavour of well- prepared, baked bread."
So if that is not how you like your crust these days, how do you describe it?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:16:18 AM by David Esq. »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »
"The crust should deliver the flavour of well- prepared, baked bread."

who's the author
Deb

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
King Arthur Flours
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
Couldn't tell you who the author is, but it is how the folks that seem to regulate the "true" Neapolitan pizza describe what they are after.

How do you describe the crust you favor?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:31:33 AM by David Esq. »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
dithb:

I have a couple of questions.  You had previously posted about trying to get a Neapolitan in your home oven (not really possible).  You were having problems getting your pizza browned.

It looked like it was because you were over-yeasting the dough and depleting the sugars, etc.  Now, you started looking for 00 flour from King Arthur.  00 flour (I do not know about KA's although I do know, as you said, it has a terrible reputation here because of the low protein) has no malt and low damaged starch and is much more difficult to brown than flours with malt.  Considering you started out having some trouble browning, this is like going from the frying pan into the fire.

So, in your inquiry about the KA flours, "What is the problem you are trying to solve?" 

If you want a flour that is most like Caputo 00 but will actually work very well for you in the home oven, it will likely be King Arthur All Purpose.  And, it is much cheaper and readily available in local stores.

My other question is "did you improve your pizza browning?"

I think this will help anyone here understand better what to reccomend.
Mitch

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
King Arthur Flours
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
$3 a pound for refined flour is quite expensive so it is no surprise that they ship for free.  The 20 pound re pack for $38 is a much better deal. If you make pizza regularly that isn't terribly much flour.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:26:05 AM by David Esq. »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
Couldn't tell you who the author is, but it is how the folks that seem to regulate the "true" Neapolitan pizza describe what they are after.

it's from the vpn regs and is only one sentence from a paragraph and it is describing "flavour" not the crust as a whole

back to topic at hand, I think we need to wait for the op to respond to mitch

Deb

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
My bad. You said you didn't want it to taste like bread. I quoted a quote that concerns taste. But I obviously missed your meaning.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
My bad. You said you didn't want it to taste like bread. I quoted a quote that concerns taste. But I obviously missed your meaning.

my bad, I did type taste but had total crust in my head

Deb

pizzapan