Author Topic: Cornmeal question  (Read 227 times)

Offline PizzaBoy719

• I Love Pizza!
Cornmeal question
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
Do you guys use cornmeal on your pizza stone before putting a pie on? I feel many times the pie will get stuck to the stone.

Also the same for the peel. Do you put some cornmeal under your dough so its easily slid onto the stone?

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Cornmeal question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »
Never...I hate cornmeal like poison.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline parallei

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
Typically, folks do not put any cornmeal or other substance directly on the stone.  Unless your skin has a hole in it, so the toppings leak through, it will not stick to the stone after it has baked for a bit.

I just use a bit of flour on the peal.  Others use rice flour, really finely ground semolina flour, and I guess some use corneal.

If you are just starting out, and are a bit worried, you can build your pie on baking parchment paper.  When you are ready to go, slide the topped pie and parchment paper onto a peel, load the parchment paper and pie onto the stone, then slide the parchment paper out from under the pie after it has cooked for 3 or 4 minutes.   

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
A light dusting of flour and semolina flour on the peel is used by many folks.  I like to dust my peel and put the stretched skin on the peel.  I often give the peel a couple shakes right then to let the dough slide around on the peel.  Then add the sauce  and toppings rather quickly.  Time is your enemy here as the longer it sits the more likely it will start to stick to the peel.  Give it a couple more shakes to make sure it is loose before heading to your oven.  If there is just a small area sticking, you can often lift up the edge and add a little bit more flour.  If it is sticking a lot, try unloading it to a second, floured peel or large cutting board.  You need to make sure it is moving freely before attempting to launch to the oven.

Hope this helps.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
Do you guys use cornmeal on your pizza stone before putting a pie on? I feel many times the pie will get stuck to the stone.

Pre-heat your oven longer. If you pizza sticks to the stone it's not hot enough. If you stone is hot enough, you could put Elmer's glue on the bottom of your pizza, and it wouldn't stick to the stone.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
Never have stuck a pie to the stone, but have stuck them to the peel when folks start talking to me and my prep takes too long.  I use a mixture of about half flour and half semolina as a dust on the peel.  Important to "jiggle" your pie on the peel as you go to the oven.  If any part is stuck to the peel, I blow under the pie and it lifts off the peel... amazingly effective to "unstick" it prior to launch in the oven.  ...another tip I learned here on the board! :D

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
If any part is stuck to the peel, I blow under the pie and it lifts off the peel... amazingly effective to "unstick" it prior to launch in the oven.  ...another tip I learned here on the board! :D

It works really well - sometimes too well! Don't blow too hard. It's surprisingly easy to blow your pizza right off the peel. They float like a hovercraft!
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:52:53 PM »
You could try a mixture of flour and cornmeal.