Author Topic: Aromatic Yeast Products from Lallemand  (Read 3591 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Aromatic Yeast Products from Lallemand
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »

You are correct.  I don't know why I tried to make a starter out of the Lallemand aromatic yeast. 

It's because you didn't want to pay premium pricing for the Lallemand yeast. If your starter worked, you would have free Lallemand aromatic yeast for life!

Maybe it does not follow a "typical" starter fermentation schedule, but that doesn't mean it will never work. You mentioned it looked good the night before, so maybe it just needs less time to ferment compared to other starters. I'm a bit surprised you're giving up so easily  >:D
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
It's because you didn't want to pay premium pricing for the Lallemand yeast. If your starter worked, you would have free Lallemand aromatic yeast for life!

Maybe it does not follow a "typical" starter fermentation schedule, but that doesn't mean it will never work. You mentioned it looked good the night before, so maybe it just needs less time to ferment compared to other starters. I'm a bit surprised you're giving up so easily  >:D

Josh,

Lol!  I know that maybe it will not follow a typical starter fermentation schedule.  The dough did look good the night before the bake.  You are probably right that maybe it just needs less time to ferment compared to other starters.  I did not give up yet.  The Lallemand starter is still on the counter, but it is not feed.  I have to think over if I want to go through another experiment.  If the taste of the crust is no better when using the Lallemand starter it is getting thrown out for sure.  I don't know if I want to put myself through this again, especially since it should be used as a preferment.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #262 on: Yesterday at 07:12:37 PM »
This photo really belongs on the thread of shame, but I will post it here.  I have been feeding the Lallemand aromatic starter every 3 days while it is sitting out in the kitchen.  It seemed to be doing fine.

Last night I went to feed it and the Lallemand starter turned to mold.  Did it ever stink.  :-X  It went into the trash.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!