Author Topic: Miller Milling  (Read 34 times)

Offline Zensojourner

Miller Milling
« on: Today at 01:26:03 AM »
Last year ConAgra sold 4 of its mills - 2 in CA, one in TX, and one in MN - to a Japanese firm, Nisshin, which uses the brand name Miller Milling in the US.  One of the CA mills was in Fresno, the other in Oakland.

http://millermilling.com/products/

Costco in my area now carries 25 lb bags of flour from Miller Milling.  I found this out looking around at Costco a few weeks ago.  Today I picked up a bag of the AP.  I'm not out of my last batch of ConAgra bread flour yet, plus I have 25 lbs of KAF AP and 5 of KAF bread flour.  But I am down to the dregs of my last bag of ConAgra AP flour.

Costco here doesn't carry the high gluten.  I think what they do carry is equivalent to the Bay Area Patent flour though it is not labeled that way - I think its labeled bread flour with the word "patent" on there somewhere.  I should have snapped a picture I guess.  The AP flour is labeled Miller Milling Hotel & Restaurant AP flour.

Does anybody have any experience with these flours since the mills were sold?  Are you seeing this brand in your local Sam's or Costco?  The AP flour I got is coming out of the MN mill, though I am closest to the CA mills - perhaps they don't mill AP flour there.

Oddly, the flour is packaged in big plastic bags, sort of like bagged mulch.  I suppose there must be advantages for storing and shipping vs paper bags, but these bags are a lot harder to handle IMO.  And they just don't LOOK right, LOL!

pizzapan