Author Topic: My Pizza Progress  (Read 2042 times)

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
My Pizza Progress
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
Here's the last pizza I made. It's my third time using my pizza steel and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I have a 3/8" x 15" x 16" piece of steel I picked up from a steel supplier. I preheated at 550 degrees for a half hour. Then I broiled the pizza the first 2 minutes and baked it another 3 minutes. It was about a 5 1/2 minute cook time. I probably should have let it bake another 30 seconds.

It is topped it with a thin later of parmigiano reggiano, then chunks of mozz, spots of pesto, then there is a layer of thinly sliced apple and chunks of artichokes. It turned out that the pesto was really salty so next time I'll probably use less. The salty pesto flavor did match well with the sweet apple.

The dough recipe I used is below. I haven't really experimented a lot with different dough recipes and making my own, but this recipe turned out well. I let it cold ferment for about 40 hours, then I let it rise at room temp for about 3 hours before I baked it. My biggest problem was probably with stretching the dough. I always stretch out the middle too thin. I may go back to using a rolling pin, but I feel that I would get a flatter end crust if I press all of the air out of the dough. I have 2 more balls of dough from this batch so I'll probably try a rolling pin on one of them.

This went well with one of my homebrews. Nothing like enjoying pizza and beer at the same time when you made both yourself   :chef:

Flour (100%):
Water (65%):
ADY (0.5%):
Salt (2.25%):
Oil (5.5%):
Sugar (1.6%):
Total (174.85%):
Single Ball:
479.97 g  |  16.93 oz | 1.06 lbs
311.98 g  |  11 oz | 0.69 lbs
2.4 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
10.8 g | 0.38 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.93 tsp | 0.64 tbsp
26.4 g | 0.93 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.87 tsp | 1.96 tbsp
7.68 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.93 tsp | 0.64 tbsp
839.23 g | 29.6 oz | 1.85 lbs | TF = 0.095
279.74 g | 9.87 oz | 0.62 lbs
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:04:44 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My Pizza Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
Your crust looks good to me. The cornice rose nicely, color is good. PLEASE do not use the pin  :o .
If you want a thicker middle use more dough or decrease the size of the pie.
It looks like you opened the dough ball nicely. ^^^

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
My biggest problem was probably with stretching the dough. I always stretch out the middle too thin. I may go back to using a rolling pin, but I feel that I would get a flatter end crust if I press all of the air out of the dough. I have 2 more balls of dough from this batch so I'll probably try a rolling pin on one of them.
mttfrog13,

Until you are able to master hand stretching and want to use a rolling pin, you might try the method that Tom Lehmann recommends for that purpose in his post at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6410&hilit=#p41080.

Peter

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »
Here's another try with mozz, pepperoni, and bacon and a little bit of feta cheese just because. I rolled it most of the way with a pin and stretched it by hand the rest of the way. I'm starting to realize just how bad I am at stretching dough. I preheated at 500 degrees for a half hour, then I broiled for the first 2 minutes and baked the rest of the way at 500 for a total cook time of about 7 minutes. This is probably the best overall pizza I've ever made.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
Congrats on your best yet! The pie looks nice. I would eat it! ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline petertl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
I like the apple and pesto idea, sweet and salt.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
Both look good, so does the homebrew.

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to share what has become my standard dough recipe. I formulated the recipe to come out close to the percentages I want, but with easy to measure teaspoon measurements for the salt, yeast, and oil. I use a scale to weigh the flour and water. I use 100% king arthur bread flour. I don't do a preferment or anything fancy. I just hand knead it and let it cold ferment for at least 4 days. The pics below are from 6 and 7 days. I think this dough is ideal at 5 days.

I've made this recipe a lot now and the only thing that might fluctuate anymore is that I might do 3% oil sometimes depending on my mood.

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
ADY (0.395%):
Salt (2.62%):
Oil (1.88%):
Total (167.895%):
Single Ball:
478.51 g  |  16.88 oz | 1.05 lbs
301.46 g  |  10.63 oz | 0.66 lbs
1.89 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
12.54 g | 0.44 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.25 tsp | 0.75 tbsp
9 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
803.4 g | 28.34 oz | 1.77 lbs | TF = N/A
267.8 g | 9.45 oz | 0.59 lbs

Here is my tried and true sauce recipe that I use. I usually simmer it for about 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes I don't, depending on my mood. If I used the onion rather than sugar, I always simmer it.

1 (28 ounce) can of hand crushed san marzano tomatoes
1 finely minced garlic clove or 1/2 tsp of garlic powder to substitute
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 small finely minced onion OR 1/2 tsp sugar to substitute
a few turns of fresh cracked black pepper
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:11:25 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
This pizza looks great but I was a bit disappointed with it. I used wegmans italian hard salami. It didn't really taste pepperoni-like and was not what I was looking for. Also I used too much flour that covered the bottom of the pizza and dried out my tongue when eating. These pics are from a few weeks ago so I've improved my technique since then.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:54:18 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
This is the same dough the next day, at 7 days old. I switched back to margherita pepperoni and also added some crumbled pre-cooked breakfast sausage onto the pizza. I pre cooked the pepperoni a bit and had to pull the pizza out early so that the pepperoni didn't burn, so the crust didn't get as much color. I was much more careful with the flour though so the bottom of the crust isn't covered in it. Nowadays I slice and then freeze my cheese before topping the pizza so that it doesn't burn. You live and you learn.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:26:49 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline DeanS

• Pizza Esistenzialista
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
Beautiful pizzas, I like the toppings you are using.

Can I recommend that you not cut the pizza on the peel? It looks like that's what you're doing. I did that for a month and one day the thing split right down the middle. I was able to use wood glue & sanding to get it operable again - but I'm on a budget and I'll be upset / screwed if the glue starts to disintegrate.

Now I always transfer to a pizza serving tray before cutting. The 4$ ones from WalMart rust so don't get those. The 5$ 16" ones from Pennsylvania Macaroni Company are ideal - I got 2 of the 14" ones yesterday and so far no rusting or corrosion. They also have pizza cutters that don't seem to rust / bend.

http://www.pennmac.com/page/27/pizza-baking-supplies

Offline Jamesmorrison

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
Hey Frog, Great looking pizzas. I was wondering if you could give me the recipe? I do not understand the chart with percentages. Could you tell me how much of exactly what you are using in proper measurements. I am new here btw.

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »
Beautiful pizzas, I like the toppings you are using.

Can I recommend that you not cut the pizza on the peel? It looks like that's what you're doing. I did that for a month and one day the thing split right down the middle. I was able to use wood glue & sanding to get it operable again - but I'm on a budget and I'll be upset / screwed if the glue starts to disintegrate.
Thanks for calling me out on that. I knew I shouldn't of been cutting on the board but I was lazy about it. I have plenty of aluminum pizza pans or pizza screens I can transfer the pizza to while cutting so I'll do that in the future.

Hey Frog, Great looking pizzas. I was wondering if you could give me the recipe? I do not understand the chart with percentages. Could you tell me how much of exactly what you are using in proper measurements. I am new here btw.
I recommend, and I'm sure most other people on this forum will recommend getting a scale to weigh your flour. Depending on humidity, your brand of flour, and how packed your flour is, you could end up with a lot more or less flour in a cup than myself. I use king arthur bread flour, sometimes a 50/50 mix with king arthur all purpose. I've weighed a cup of the bread flour before and it was around 140 grams. 1 cup of water is about 236 grams of water. So, assuming you're using bread flour and your flour is also at about 140 grams per cup, a simplified version of my recipe would be.....

3 1/3 cups of Flour
1 1/4 cups of Water
1/2 tsp of ADY
2 tsp of Salt
2 tsp of Olive Oil

That should give you 3 dough balls a little over 250 grams each. Honestly though, good dough has to do more with technique rather than the amount of salt, oil, or even the hydration really. Anything between 2 - 3% salt, and 1 - 3% olive oil is acceptable for a ny style pizza, or neo/ny style if you cut the olive oil. The key to my recipe is just the long cold ferment.

In my opinion, if you have a recipe that falls within the guidelines above, the most important things are, in no particular order...

-oven temp...go as hot as your oven will allow
-cold ferment duration...cold ferment at least 3 days, make sure you use a dough recipe that's meant to be cold fermented...it will use less yeast. I could probably even use less yeast in my recipe.
-baking surface...if you have just a regular home oven, then you need to get a pizza stone or preferably a pizza steel. I got my pizza steel from a local steel supplier for $25
-fresh cheese...use fresh mozz that comes in blocks, not the pre-shredded kind. I'm sure that some people might not think this is worth the trouble, but I was pleasently surprised at how much this improved my pizza. It melts a lot better as well and it's just as cheap per pound as the pre shredded kind, so why not.
-play around with your broiler, and freeze your cheese. Depending on your oven, you may benefit from using the broiler. I usually use the broiler the first two minutes, and then bake the rest of the way. Using the broiler the first two minutes helps me get oven spring. Freezing the cheese helps it to not burn from the broiler.

There's another level of technique beyond what I do which could involve slow knead, using a food processor for quick kneading, or some people do what's called a poolish. I'll probably experiment with those things at some point, but if you do what I pointed out above, your dough/pizza should turn out pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:18:51 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »
I stopped using parchment, started using cornmeal, improved my pizza peel skills and this was the result.  ;D  I'm getting more charring.

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »
Here's a pretty good pizza that I added to my rotation recently. First I heated 2 finely crushed garlic cloves in 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, only enough that it released the flavor and only barely started to brown. I used that garlic oil mixture as the base of my pizza. Then I added fresh mozz on top of that. I then added some ground sausage that I pre cooked beforehand. I cooked it only enough that only enough that there was still a bit of pink on the meat. Baked this for about 7 minutes. Took it out and immediately topped with red pepper flakes and honey. It wasn't my favorite pizza at first because I used too much garlic and oil and didn't precook the garlic. It was a oily, raw garlicy mess. I reduced the amount of garlic and oil and now it's definitely something that I will make every now and then.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:05:21 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline Jamesmorrison

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 04:55:49 AM »
THanks for all the advice and your recipe. It looks like a good pizza dough. Whats ADY? I just started using corn meal myself. It makes the bottem cook just right and give it the right texture. You should try using butter.  I use it intstead of olive oil somtimes and it makes the crust have that nice butter taste that dominos has. but i guess that depends on what kind of pizza your making.  How much yeast are you using and whats ADY?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »
Jamesmorriison,

For a list of abbreviations, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.0.html .

Also, you might want to check out the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html .

Using the forum's search engines is also a good way to find things.

Peter

Offline Jamesmorrison

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
THanks pete