Author Topic: Brand new to this, looking for advice!  (Read 440 times)

Offline cerone

Brand new to this, looking for advice!
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've made it one of my personal goals in 2015 to make a neapolitan (or neo-neapolitan) style pizza at home. I first discovered the pizza style in 2009-2010 when Antico Pizza opened up in Atlanta, GA. Since then, I've moved to California and have enjoyed many more neapolitan pizzas. I love science (I'm an engineer) and cooking, but have never really attempted to make homemade pizza (other than buying pre-made dough).

I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few days and plan to make my first pizza next weekend. I've been gathering information from a variety of resources and wanted to put together my plan in writing, both for myself as a guide and to hopefully get some advice before I start.

I will be cooking on a Big Green Egg (large size). I've had the egg for a few years now and am pretty comfortable with it. I don't think I'll have much trouble getting it up to about 700-800 degrees. I plan to use a modified setup to raise my pizza stone above the standard surface level. I'm hoping this will allow me to get a better balance between pizza stone surface temperature and dome temperature. Ideally this will allow my top to brown before the bottom burns. I have attached a photo of a similar setup below.

Now on to what I'm most unfamiliar with, the dough. Below is what I pieced together as a starting point from my reading...

25 oz Bread Flour | 100%
15.25 oz bottled water | 61%
0.5 oz salt | 2%
0.125 IDY | 0.5%

I plan to dissolve the salt in room temperature water (~70F). I'll mix the flour and IDY in the mixing bowl. Next, I'll pour the salt/water in to the mixer and set it to speed 2 for about 10-15 minutes (until smooth and relaxed).

Next I'll put it in the fridge for fermentation.

I'm planning to do a cold bulk fermentation, mainly because time should not be an issue for me and I'm hoping this will allow me to get consistent results time after time. I have two refrigerators and can adjust the temperature of my garage fridge anywhere from 32-55F. Was planning to CF for 3-6 days at 45F in an airtight container.

Next, I'll carefully remove the dough about 2-4 hours before cooking and form dough balls (~250g each). I'll put the dough balls in a proofing box and cover it.

I plan to fire the egg up to about 700-800 degrees.

I've always struggled transferring pizzas on/off the peel. Maybe it is because my dough was not right, I'm not sure. I am strongly opposed to cornmeal as I really dislike the taste/ texture. I suppose I'll use a little flour to help the transfers but I'm open to any advice or techniques.

Last, pizza goes on the egg, maybe I'll rotate it once after about a minute. Depends how things are looking.

That said, a few questions came to mind:
1. After mixing the dough, should I allow it to sit out at room temperature before CF? If so, how long?
2. Any special water or IDY recommendations?
3. A friend recommended I start with Giusto's bread flour, which I can buy in bulk locally. Does anyone have any experience with this flour?

I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to read this and help me out. I look forward to your responses.
Joey

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Brand new to this, looking for advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
I prefer tossing in my salt last after like 5 minutes in the mixer it gives something for the yeast to feast upon even if you don't have to activate it with water.

my process is IDY & Water -> flour divided up evenly throughout the mix --> hope that helps
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline cerone

Re: Brand new to this, looking for advice!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
I prefer tossing in my salt last after like 5 minutes in the mixer it gives something for the yeast to feast upon even if you don't have to activate it with water.

my process is IDY & Water -> flour divided up evenly throughout the mix --> hope that helps

Thanks for the input! I'll make that adjustment.
Joey

pizzapan