Author Topic: Pizza from France  (Read 20768 times)

Offline Seb

Re: Pizza from France
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
350g flour
200g water
6g salt
0.08g frozen fresh yeast (still too much for a full room temp  maturation)

Made 36 hours ealier.

Own critic :

- nice topping.
- big pie (bigger than usually).
- poor leoparding.

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
Hi Seb,

Thanks again for the info on PZ3 flour. I will buy some at the Metro in Toulouse next time I come to France.

BTW, your pizzas look very good. I agree - the most recent pizzas did have slightly poor leaparding. Do you think this is a function of changing the amount of yeast, or a cooler oven?

Kind regards

Barry

Offline Seb

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
Hi Seb,

BTW, your pizzas look very good. I agree - the most recent pizzas did have slightly poor leaparding. Do you think this is a function of changing the amount of yeast, or a cooler oven?

Hi Barry,

My electric oven always delivers the same temp. I think it's only due to the shorter maturation.

Offline Seb

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
From the same dough batch than yesterday.
Two slight differences, though :
- the dough was 24h older ;)
- the ball was about 30g lighter

Offline Barry

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Hi Seb,

Wow - what a difference! The longer fermentation time makes a huge difference to the leoparding.

I have noticed that when I go too long, the bubbles become very large, and the blistering is not good. Thanks again for posting.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline Gurun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »
hi Seb, very nice looking pies. :pizza:
Could you describe your technique of mixing the dough? Are you using a mixer or by hand?

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Impressive Seb. I got a quote from Effeuno of about 481 Euro for the P134H + 484 Euro for shipping (!!) to Australia. Thinking about it. I like the WF route and messing with it but my wife doesn't really....and it does rain a lot here, for days on end when it does....Got a baking steel made up but I think the P134H works better. It has a big footprint though at roughly 600mm X 400 mm (24" X 15.5") , no?

Offline Seb

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Mine is 2.45kW.

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »
Thanks for the specifications Seb. It is big! About 1 standard 600X600 kitchen base unit footprint. It will fit into a kitchen design if I were to retrofit one. Hmmmmm.....

Offline Seb

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
350g flour.
200g water.
7g salt.
0.04g frozen fresh yeast.
3 days in my fridge.
240g dough ball.
32cm pizza.

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »
mmmmmmmmmm. :drool:

Looks like a perfectly balanced bake. How was the undercrust?

-Peter

Offline Seb

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
It was as usually, pretty much like this :
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25011.0;attach=121203;image

I'm diying to try Caputo flour, I think the results are differents from my PZ3 flour.

Offline Seb

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
The dough was a little dry.
Hydratation was 57%.
Next time, it will be 62%.

Offline Barry

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Hi Seb,

Those pizzas look great!

Barry

Offline sub

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2013, 02:09:37 AM »
I'm diying to try Caputo flour, I think the results are differents from my PZ3 flour.

Nice pies as usual,

You should buy a 25kg bag I'll be easily gone before the self life.

And I think you've done experimenting with the cold rise, try lo learn something new in the Summer with the ambient temperature like the real pizzaiolos in Naples

Offline Seb

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
Nice pies as usual,

You should buy a 25kg bag I'll be easily gone before the self life.

And I think you've done experimenting with the cold rise, try lo learn something new in the Summer with the ambient temperature like the real pizzaiolos in Naples

I think about buying one of those everyday... !  :)
I've tried room temp maturation several times recently but even with 0.25g of frozen fresh yeast for 1L water, it rises too much.

Offline schneich

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
hi seb,

i am torsten, we are going to open a neapolitan pizzeria in winter here in cologne. i followed your thread closely since i am also still working on my dough formula and i am also confined to an electric oven, in my case a "hacked" ikea pyrolyse beast ;-)  since i want to do the "real mc coy" i am trying to find the right parameters to cope with summer temp. and so on. at the stage i did at a pizzeria in naples in may, the dough guy tought me to mix the water with yeast  AND salt. in all my trials i always did it this way. when it was very hot a few days ago (30c) i tried my already good working formula of 1000 flour, 600 water, 30 salt, 1g frozen fresh yeast. it of course went totally sidways, the dough was just unusable too far. in the last two days i experimanted with 0,3g fresh frozen yeast and 18c water, and find that even at hotter temps quite working well... maybe its because of the salt, water, yeast mixing, but maybe its also the flour, iam using pizzeria caputo...  maybe a thing to try....  anyhow it would be a pleasure to meet you, i love paris maybe i could come over for a weekend and we could bake some pies, i could get you a 25kg bag of caputo from my wholeseller..... ;-)

keep on the good work.....

cheers

t.

scott123

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »
You have to ask for the modified version.
The classic version is 1000W up & 1000W down.
The special version is 1750W up & 700W down.

It's taken me some time to catch up with this topic, but, I finally got a chance to plug these numbers into my oven wattage calculator and compare them with other brands.  With a broiler (upper element) strength of 8 watts per square inch, from a top element perspective, this is the strongest electric pizza oven in the world. The next closest, at 5.6 watts, are the Swedish Pizzamasters, and those, I believe are close to a couple thousand dollars.

Seb, the Baker's Pride P22s, just as a comparison, clock in at 2.8 watts/sq. inch. As you can see, that's incredibly pitiful compared to 8.  I have to give your friend a lot of credit for modifying his P22, but that's not really a very viable option for most of the members of this forum.

In other words, you struck gold with this oven- and have something that the rest of the world can only imagine, at a pretty amazing price.

Btw, if you wanted to play around with this oven a bit, you might be able to intensify the top leoparding a tiny bit by raising the bottom stone about a half inch to an inch (15 mm to 30 mm).  This will let the heat from the bottom element escape, so you'll need to cover the hole with some thin gauge steel, but the closer you get to the broiler, the more leoparding you'll get. Not that you need it  ;D

Also, forgive me if this has already been discussed, but what tomatoes are you using? Is this passata?

Offline sub

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
at the stage i did at a pizzeria in naples in may, the dough guy tought me to mix the water with yeast  AND salt. in all my trials i always did it this way. when it was very hot a few days ago (30c) i tried my already good working formula of 1000 flour, 600 water, 30 salt, 1g frozen fresh yeast. it of course went totally sidways, the dough was just unusable too far. in the last two days i experimanted with 0,3g fresh frozen yeast and 18c water, and find that even at hotter temps quite working well... maybe its because of the salt, water, yeast mixing, but maybe its also the flour, iam using pizzeria caputo...  maybe a thing to try.... 

He's right seb, put in one litre of water 50-60g of salt and 0.5g fresh yeast, cold water to end the dough mixing at 23,  form the balls when you see little bubles forming in the bulk dough.

By the way, I've ordered some Caputo pizzeria from Ebay

In other words, you struck gold with this oven- and have something that the rest of the world can only imagine, at a pretty amazing price.

Btw, if you wanted to play around with this oven a bit, you might be able to intensify the top leoparding a tiny bit by raising the bottom stone about a half inch to an inch (15 mm to 30 mm).  This will let the heat from the bottom element escape, so you'll need to cover the hole with some thin gauge steel, but the closer you get to the broiler, the more leoparding you'll get. Not that you need it  ;D

Hi scott,

You're right for the stone, italians owners of the oven have achieveid great results, and there is also the bypass of the thermostat to do...  >:D

Offline Barry

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
Hi sub,

This is really fascinating!  So if I managed to bypass the thermostat, what would the temperature rise to, and is there any risk that the oven could overheat and explode (for example) ?

Hi Seb,

Did you pay any extra for the "special"version 1750W up & 700W down?

Kind regards.

Barry

pizzapan