Author Topic: Those of you who own pizzerias...  (Read 5615 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: Those of you who own pizzerias...
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »
Thanks Gaba. It's great to have someone with real world experience who is generous with that experience.  Very helpful and interesting. I bet you have a book in you! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Thank you so much, tin.....
it is very nice of you to say that...im glad you got something out of it.....really.  I don't remember reading any posts from you a while back......it seems like all the posts i remember are from recent times.......I appreciate your contributions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:19:40 PM by gabaghool »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »
Thanks for that insight and info! Where are you and your places located? Website? Would love to check them out. Thanks again man!

Thank you Chaze.......

You can check us out at "joey garlics"....NOT JOHNNY GARLICS....We already got sued for that....that is DDD guy fieri's place.  It is what it is....a basic chain.......I know what I am, and what Im not.........someday......when I can sack enough money away.....I would like to open a place near and dear.

But, thank you for y our response, I really appreciate it.  I've read a ton of your posts.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Thank you Chaze.......

You can check us out at "joey garlics"....NOT JOHNNY GARLICS....We already got sued for that....that is DDD guy fieri's place.  It is what it is....a basic chain.......I know what I am, and what Im not.........someday......when I can sack enough money away.....I would like to open a place near and dear.

But, thank you for y our response, I really appreciate it.  I've read a ton of your posts.

Thanks man. I'm just a rookie in this whole business. Starting out as a weekend warrior with a mobile set up and go with the flow with wherever this takes me. I enjoy it but it is a lot of work....especially with a full time job mon-fri :-)
Chaz

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Thank you Chaze.......

So is Joey Garlics your place? If so what do you mean by you would like to open a place?

Also, I've never seen someone with so much of an affinity for ellipses  :-D

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »
So is Joey Garlics your place? If so what do you mean by you would like to open a place?

I think he meant he would like to open a place near Johnny Garlics.
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »

I think he wants to open a small mom/pop shop where he can be involved with the entire show vs. the large set up he now has.  I appreciate gabaghool's sharing.  He is a wealth of information for people like me that can run a shop and make the products but have no idea of the buying/renting end of things.  I use to live in Santa Rosa CA for 15 years.  Johnny Garlics was popular till it burned down.  That was the time when Guy made it on tv.  He came to the high school I taught at in a limo and talked to the kids.  I never met him.   Walter

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
My whole life I've always know I would end up with a restaurant. Now that I'm in a position to actually do it I am definitely looking at the alternatives. My German GF is nearing retirement and I just might wait until we go over there for good and then open a guest house(German for family style restaurant/tavern)...at least I'll be able to live upstairs and have a roof over my head if business gets slow.  :)

Hey Bob, where to Germany do you wanna move?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »

Joey Garlics is Nick's place, he was saying not to confuse it with Johnny Garlic's. here is the link to his website   http://www.joeygarlics.com/   

I have been there and it's very good but I can't wait for the future place, that's where I want to eat

Deb

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
I know what I am, and what Im not.........someday......when I can sack enough money away.....I would like to open a place near and dear.

Nick,

You may also have to sock away a few shekels for the taxing authorities in Connecticut  ;D:

http://wills.about.com/od/stateestatetaxes/a/stateestatetaxchart.htm

The states not listed in the table have no state estate taxes. The 5+ million numbers in the table is the current Federal estate tax exemption (which is adjusted annually).

Peter

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
Nick,

You may also have to sock away a few shekels for the taxing authorities in Connecticut  ;D:

http://wills.about.com/od/stateestatetaxes/a/stateestatetaxchart.htm

The states not listed in the table have no state estate taxes. The 5+ million numbers in the table is the current Federal estate tax exemption (which is adjusted annually).

Peter

Peter:  I could never live where I grew up, Essex County NJ.  That area is insane with taxes.  I have no idea how a small mom and pop pizzeria could start up there today.  My brother owns a home similar to ours in OH.  We pay about 2k a year in property taxes which is more than double the amount most pay in our county.  Our village is an island of 6 figure income households. Most in our county pay well under 1k in taxes for a house like ours and my brothers.  My brother pays 13 k a year in taxes.  Anything inside or touching NYC borders has become a place for the rich or  living in a ghetto.  I still can't figure out why the rich haven't moved the ghettos of NYC/NJ/CA (LA/Bay Area) to inland wastelands because these ghettos take up prime realestate zones.  Walter

Top 15 Counties in Median Real Estate Taxes Paid, 2010

1. Westchester County, New York: $9,003

2. Nassau County, New York: $8,711

3. Hunterdon County, New Jersey: $8,523

4. Bergen County, New Jersey: $8,489

5. Rockland County, New York: $8,268

6. Essex County, New Jersey: $8,117

7. Somerset County, New Jersey: $7,801

8. Morris County, New Jersey : $7,707

9. Passaic County, New Jersey: $7,544

10. Union County, New Jersey: $7,443

11. Putnam County, New York: $ 7,331

12. Suffolk County, New York: $7,192

13. Monmouth County, New Jersey: $6,917

14. Hudson County, New Jersey: $6,426

15. Lake County, Illinois: $6,285
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:56:22 AM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Hey Bob, where to Germany do you wanna move?
My gf is from Siegelbach.....just outside of Kaiserslautern.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
I think if I  ever opened a pizzeria  I would stick to pizza, knots, strombolis and calzones. I believe when you starts adding pastas and all these other dishes your Quality decreases. Some say one would lose business this way but it's kind of a catch 22.

I remember growing up I would go to CT every summer and there was this little hole in the wall pizzeria that sold only pizzas. No bread, no salads, nothing else. But by all means they were packed all day every day and had the best pizza I ever had in my life. The owners retired and moved over seas but they did so much business by just selling a fantastic pie.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
 ^^^

CB

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

Ellipses??? Does that mean using caps??  I know....im trying to break the habit, it buggs people, i know.........Im just stressing certain words......but, yeah, ive been yelled at before!!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
What I meant was that I would open a small place where profit wasn't so much of an emphasize......where the action isn't so fast that I can't keep up....which is the case here.........

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
Ellipses??? Does that mean using caps??
Nick,

It is the series of little dots between what would ordinarily be sentences. I personally like whatever you write, however you write it. It is the content that counts. But it helps that it be readable. Some members write in a way that I can't always follow.

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
Ellipses??? Does that mean using caps??  I know....im trying to break the habit, it buggs people, i know.........Im just stressing certain words......but, yeah, ive been yelled at before!!

I was just joking. But Peter explained what they are.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Jeff
Believe me, no offense taken.....I've been told the way i write isn't exactly everyones cup of tea....and i understand why.....a bad habit, i know.......

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
.I've been told the way i write isn't exactly everyones cup of tea....and i understand why.....a bad habit, i know.......
Your writing style is unique, and your content always interesting. I appreciate your generous info sharing about the realities vs the romance of your business. I checked out your website, and they look like fantastic places. Well done.

Clay

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »
thank you so much clay...it REALLY is appreciated.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
Your writing style is unique, and your content always interesting. I appreciate your generous info sharing about the realities vs the romance of your business. I checked out your website, and they look like fantastic places. Well done.

Clay
^^^

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »

Clay

I hope you don't think I was in anyway saying I don't appreciate what you do here. The response from other members seems to me they were defending you because of my comment. My comment was merely a joke. I appreciate the contributions you make to this forum very much.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
Jeff
no, i understand.  I know you from your posts.....and what you said IS true.  SHoot, there i go again.

pizzapan