Author Topic: My first attempt  (Read 753 times)

Offline CPARKTX

• I Love Pizza!
My first attempt
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
First attempt at Neapolitan today. Made dough using Same Day Dough recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. Cooked on Big Green Egg at 700-725 dome temperature, stone was somewhere over 600 based on the last reading I remembered to take with IR thermometer.  Cook time was about 4-5 minutes each.

Cooked two pizzas, slightly different toppings. Pleased with results, though could have used a few more seconds or slightly higher temperature.

Any other suggestions from the more experienced members?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
My first attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
Very nice for your first attempt. For Neapolitan pizza, you are looking for a bake time around 90 seconds. So if you can, get your BGE up to 800 degrees and see the difference in your pizzas.

It is good to see you are using room temp fermentation.

John
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:04:39 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline f.montoya

Re: My first attempt
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:22 AM »
First attempt at Neapolitan today. Made dough using Same Day Dough recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. Cooked on Big Green Egg at 700-725 dome temperature, stone was somewhere over 600 based on the last reading I remembered to take with IR thermometer.  Cook time was about 4-5 minutes each.

Cooked two pizzas, slightly different toppings. Pleased with results, though could have used a few more seconds or slightly higher temperature.

Any other suggestions from the more experienced members?

Hi CPARKTX,

Your pies visually look beautiful and artisan 100%. When you ask for suggestions, may I ask if can you post an image or video, etc. of something out there that represents your ultimate goal? I know my goal is slightly different than others and I have gotten very pertinent advice so far on these boards toward that goal. :)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
CPARKTX, Man those pies are ROUND. Congrats, my 1st were, uh, less than round. Visually, you might try smaller pieces of cheese, not too close to each other. This will give a nice definition to the toppings. Your cornice looks nice in color, try to place the toppings up to the cornice but not on top of it. Better spring and cleaner look.
Overall you done GREAT!!!!!!!! :pizza:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CPARKTX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »
MCKEVENSON - I was having trouble getting the round shape eyeballing it, so I put my stone on parchment paper, traced the outline, then inverted the paper (so ink facing away from the dough); that let me have a visual target for size and shape as I formed the pie. It's probably cheating, but I want skilled enough doing it any other way.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
MCKEVENSON - I was having trouble getting the round shape eyeballing it, so I put my stone on parchment paper, traced the outline, then inverted the paper (so ink facing away from the dough); that let me have a visual target for size and shape as I formed the pie. It's probably cheating, but I want skilled enough doing it any other way.

Great idea! When I started, I drew on my wooden prep table cause round just wasn't happening.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan