Author Topic: Stone placement  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Stone placement
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »
I had been using my pizza stone on the top rack of my oven. The logic was that heat rises and I wanted the pizza to be cooking in the hotest spot in the oven (plus the broiler could be turned on to quickly finish off the top of the pizza.)

Last night I made three NY style pizzas for my son's school class. For some reason I decided to move my stone to the bottom-most rack in the oven. I must say that all three pizzas browned beautifully and cooked faster than before. And, there was very little rebound time for the oven since the pizzas were cooked back-to-back. Yet the last pizza turned out just as good as the first.  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Stone placement
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
Good to know.

I moved my tiles to the bottom of the oven last night. I think I'll try them now. ;)

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:22:18 PM »
Steve, I think that when the stone is as close as you can get it to the heating element , the hotter it gets,
In my oven at the moment the t stat shuts things down at the selected temp, the stone is close to 40║ hotter than the oven and selected temp. So I time the pie placement so I put it in just after t statá shuts down heating element...(i checked it w/ an i/r thermometer) .
Bud

BTW I like your new catagories!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 02:36:59 PM »
Steve, I think that when the stone is as close as you can get it to the heating element , the hotter it gets,
In my oven at the moment the t stat shuts things down at the selected temp, the stone is close to 40║ hotter than the oven and selected temp. So I time the pie placement so I put it in just after t statá shuts down heating element...(i checked it w/ an i/r thermometer) .
Bud

BTW I like your new catagories!

Bud, I believe you are correct. I checked my stone (with IR thermometer) and it was close to 600 degrees F. (oven was set to its max of 550 degrees F.)  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:48:48 AM »
I was reading in the the 60 pizza recipe book they place their stone in different places depending on the pizza.

I've always put my stone in the middle just because it was easy to do it that way.

Never really thought about it, until now.

Thanks a lot! Something else to worry about! LOL!!

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Elior

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »
i put my stone on the highest place, then i turn to grill mode when i enter the pizza

pizzapan