Author Topic: "Buy one, get one!" - trend  (Read 3702 times)

Offline dhorst

Re: "Buy one, get one!" - trend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
No take out dhorst? Doesn't seem like that should be a big detractor of time spent on the dine in guests...

I think that the oven is too small for them to successfully do a take out business and still be able to turnover 75 seats four times a night, which is their goal.  I think they should open their minds to doing some limited take out--sometimes a dine in customer will order one to go to bring home to their kids or whover.  I'm just not sure if they've figured out the best business model yet.  And hey, these guys seem to focus more on motorcycles than the food/business of late, and I think it may be hurting them.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
I think that the oven is too small for them to successfully do a take out business and still be able to turnover 75 seats four times a night, which is their goal.  I think they should open their minds to doing some limited take out--sometimes a dine in customer will order one to go to bring home to their kids or whover.  I'm just not sure if they've figured out the best business model yet.  And hey, these guys seem to focus more on motorcycles than the food/business of late, and I think it may be hurting them.
Gotcha....I hear ya though; if one(or 20) of those diners asked me if I'd fix 'em a 'lil somth'in to go I'd be all about the "Yes I sure can; thank you!"
Is this a WFO restaurant Diana?  I'm sure they'll get the bugs worked out...maybe one will blow up their sycle motor and get back to business.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dhorst

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
Gotcha....I hear ya though; if one(or 20) of those diners asked me if I'd fix 'em a 'lil somth'in to go I'd be all about the "Yes I sure can; thank you!"
Is this a WFO restaurant Diana?  I'm sure they'll get the bugs worked out...maybe one will blow up their sycle motor and get back to business.  ;D

Yes, Bob, it is a WFO business.  I think that sometimes they are a bit persnickety as the customers go.  With some of the specials they will say no changes allowed, and sometimes it's just so easy to leave off one ingredient.  I don't understand the mentality there.  If we're not busy, why not send out a pizza to go when someone requests?

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
I don't understand the mentality there.  If we're not busy, why not send out a pizza to go when someone requests?

You make a good point. In the recent Saveur, there is an excellent photo of Starita in Naples, and you can clearly see to-go boxes ready.

Offline bjshaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »
IMO, when you buy quality goods/services, you only cry once.

Offline steven.fisher

• How to make pizza
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
Hi, guys....I just want to write down what i saw last week. In city where I'm living right now is Domino's Pizza branch. The guy who's running business trying so hard that he hired someone in costume of piece of pizza dancing on the sidewalk with sign "Get free slice of pizza today!", inside the branch was guy with video camera filming every customer and making interview with them. I felt like that is some kind of the joke. I mean...whoring for piece of pizza in exchange for interview(if you're hungry or you struggle that's fine doing this). But I probably not going to buy anything from there.....what is important for me as a customer - food is good & the fact that I'm felling good (nice personal,    ambiance which let me enjoy the food). What do you think? Do I exaggerating?

Steven.   

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »
Nope you're not exaggerating...I'd pass up that circus too. But it does go to show you what some clowns will go through just to get something that's practically worthless for free.  ;D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
@Steven- If it's not your thing then that's fine. But obviously this guy is just trying some guerrilla marketing and giving out free slices of pizza. Nothing wrong there IMO.

Offline TonyK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
A topic close to my heart :) In the late 80's I developed the first 2-4-1 pizza shop in our city. We basically just added the food cost of the second pizza to the first. Everyone else in town was waiting for us to go broke, we never did and expanded to 11 stores and had the largest market share within 30 months. The pizza was very good though.

What was once  an unimaginable "deal" is considered very gimmickey today through the customers eyes. Everyone knows how it works. The one drawback is that in many cases, people do not want two pizzas and do not want to pay 30% more for a secomd one that they do not want. That is why many/most menus today have a price for one and a separate price for two - kinda defeating the whole gimmick.

I don't think price wars cheapen the brand if your in the fast food version of this business, it's "d'rigeur". But at the end of the day, couponing is and will always be a short term solution to a long term problem - repeat business. It's all about value and convenience - that's the goal.

Offline Demce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »
There should be no type of deals or coupons at all , your only under cutting yourself and business ... I hate that so many pizzerias now followed in the foot steps of Dominos and Pizza Hut with their stupid coupons. We all should be making money not cutting our pockets .

Gas is expensive but we all still pay for it , people need to eat , pizza is very cost friendly to feed a family.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
There should be no type of deals or coupons at all , your only under cutting yourself and business ... I hate that so many pizzerias now followed in the foot steps of Dominos and Pizza Hut with their stupid coupons. We all should be making money not cutting our pockets .

Gas is expensive but we all still pay for it , people need to eat , pizza is very cost friendly to feed a family.
And in a perfect world that is exactly what would be.
But when you slinging inferior product you need a tickler...it's funny to watch how they try to tickle each other to death. It is amazing how many folks will go for quantity over quality....a very sad state of affairs in many, many regards actually.