Author Topic: External oven thermometer  (Read 4119 times)

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: External oven thermometer
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
I purchased one of these for my current project and am very happy with it.

http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-primo-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
Thanks!

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
I got one of these from Cooper Atkins:
http://techinstrumentation.com/products/2225%252d20-Flange-Mount-Pizza-Oven-Thermometer-with-Dual-Scale.html

I'm a little uneasy about drilling a hole in my oven to accept this, but this might be a pretty good solution.  Thanks!
--pat--

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:12 AM »
Not sure what type of oven you have, but you could simply get the prob right between the oven and the insulation. That way you don't compromise the oven dome by drilling it and you well a good idea of the core temperature of your oven.

It is were you will see there is always a 30 minutes delay between when you slow down the fire and when the needle stops climbing  :-D

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »
I think you're talking about a wood fired oven.  I have two Bakers Prides and a Castle oven, so I'd be drilling through the metal sides.
--pat--

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
I went with the 1000 degree Cooper flange mount thermometer for my Blodgett.  I'm real happy with how it works but if I could do it over again I would have changed where I put it.  I put it dead center thinking that would be the most accurate.  While it likely was the best spot for it performance wise, the sensor probe sticks up just enough when the oven door is open to get in the way of my peel a bit.  I'm already used to it but it does make getting the peel in and out a bit awkward.  If I could do it over again I would move it to the left or the right.  I suppose if I wanted to get creative I could shim the outside with something to raise the thermometer display 3/4" or so off the door so that much less would be sticking into the oven. 
Oh well, live and learn!!
Works great though and it's nice to know what the heck is going on with the temp in the oven without opening it.
Will attach some pics.