Author Topic: External oven thermometer  (Read 3906 times)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
External oven thermometer
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
I'm trying to find out if there's an oven thermometer out there that will give me the oven temperature without having to open the door.  The only types I'm aware of are either the simple dial type that sits in the oven, and you have to open the door to see it (I'm talking about an oven without a window).  Or the infrared type, and you have to open the door to measure the deck.

What I'd really like is something more along the lines of a probe meat thermometer - something with a component that stays in the oven with a wire connecting it to a digital readout outside of the oven.

Or is there any other option?  Opening the door always seems to invoke something like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  If my target temperature is 700 degrees, I open the oven to look at the thermometer.  It says 600, but the act of letting in that cool air has actually lowered the temperature to 550.
--pat--

Offline TXCraig1

Re: External oven thermometer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:46:21 AM »
What I'd really like is something more along the lines of a probe meat thermometer - something with a component that stays in the oven with a wire connecting it to a digital readout outside of the oven.

There is no shortage of these available. I have this one. It cost $20 and works just fine. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=11720307&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CM3zq6rpgbcCFQVU4AodASYA6w

I'm sure a search would turn up all sorts of other options.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline enchant

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »
That one IS a meat thermometer.  Those typically have a high temperature below 400 degrees, which is no use to me.
--pat--

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
Get a multimeter that accepts a type-K temperature probe. Something like this: http://www.valuetesters.com/extech-mn15-minitec-autoranging-multimeter.html

The probe that comes with it is probably only good up to 400F or 500F, but you can get type-K kiln thermocouples good up to 1300F or so on ebay for $10.

Offline enchant

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
That's interesting.  I'll do some research on that one. Thanks!
--pat--

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
I use a Maverick remote by Maverick industries. Have for years they are great. 100-300 ft wireless remote reading station, high heat probe wires and great customer service.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline enchant

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
I use a Maverick remote by Maverick industries.
Can you tell me what model you have?  I checked the website, and they've got a couple gajillion different thermometers.  I didn't see any oven thermometers with remote readouts.
--pat--

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
Can you tell me what model you have?  I checked the website, and they've got a couple gajillion different thermometers.  I didn't see any oven thermometers with remote readouts.

I have the ET 732. Check around cause prices vary.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline enchant

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
I have the ET 732. Check around cause prices vary.

Yeah, that one has a high temperature of 572.  Better than some, but I need at least 700.

I'm leaning toward this:

http://www.brainydeal.com/Dual-Two-Channel-Digital-Thermometer-2/M/B0084JQL1Q.htm

Sadly, the two sensors that come with it only go up to 250C, so I'd have to buy special sensors separately,  But the unit and the separate sensors are cheap enough that this isn't that big a deal.
--pat--

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Sadly, the two sensors that come with it only go up to 250C, so I'd have to buy special sensors separately,

They run $10-$20.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
Inexpensive multimeters with the turn knob like the one I posted tend to last longer than the ones with buttons. Extech is a good brand. It's owned by FLIR.

Offline enchant

--pat--

Offline TXCraig1

Offline enchant

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks! ;D
--pat--

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
I gotta ask, what oven are you using that hits 700F with a closed door?  Something modded?
-Jeff

Offline enchant

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 05:55:02 AM »
I have two Bakers Pride electric models that go to about 650, and a Castle that goes to something over 700.  My current infrared has a high temp of 700, so I'm not sure what the temperature reached. If it sounds like I must own a restaurant, it isn't true.  I spend my summers at a campground, and a few times during the summer, we have pizza night and a handful of us bake 100 pizzas for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:56:50 AM by enchant »
--pat--

Offline WaterDog

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
I added one of these to my LBE for monitoring temps. Response is a bit slow for what I was trying for but it does go to 1000 degrees. May need to drill a hole to mount it but it's cheap and well made for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-Flange-Mount-Thermometer-200-1000/dp/B00C0U8RTO/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline petef

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
Check this out....

http://www.amazon.com/M-Digital-2in1-Oven-Thermomete/dp/B0085IRYOE/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Maverick Digital 2-in-1 Oven Thermometer Most ovens will be off from the set temperature. With this unit you can see the actual temperature that your oven is registering then make adjustments to ensure that you cook or roast at the proper temperature. Two-in-one probe measures food and oven temperatures Preset temperatures for all types of meats - beeps at set times and temperatures Easy to program set your ow n temperature Count up / 99 -minute count down timer Timer works while temperature is monitored Large-digit LCD Easy-clean touch control pad 99-minute countdown timer Folds flat for easy storage Stainless steel thermometer probe with long (45) cable - probe stores in holder on side Choose Fahrenheit or Celsius - 32 F to 572 F One AA battery included Low battery warning

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
I personally use a 16" long prob thermometer that takes the core temperature of the oven. The nice thing is that they go up to 1000 F if you need to even I don't recommend using it above 800 F.

It needs to be installed before the oven is finished or you will need a very long drill bit.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
I'm actually looking for the exact same thing as the original poster - being able to see the temperature (higher than 550) of an oven without opening the door.  Thought there would be more options.
I have a small Blodgett gas pizza oven I use that goes higher than 550.  Would love just an analog dial display and a probe on a wire I could get inside and install wherever I want.  I think the fixed probe type such as breadstoneovens uses could work but I doubt I could go in from the front.

pizzapan