Author Topic: crazy pizza month  (Read 781 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
crazy pizza month
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
 i have not had much time to report on my favorite subject of pizza. i was able to do a lot of fun stuff related to it last month. don't know if anyone cares but here goes.
 first stop john conklin at the home of the mobile pizza business  flirting with fire, and johns permanent wood stone oven. i took along a good friend of mine that is my main wood oven cook and best friend arturo gallo a first generation of naples italy. pizza is in his blood, he has cooked over three thousand pies for me this year!! john had met arti at the expo and the two domineering personalities hit it off from the start. along was a invited guest the controversial scott 123.
 my day started at 1 am making 8 dough balls for johns house,a few hours of sleep than a drive of 6.5 hour to John,Val,and Kelley's beautiful home. we arrived early afternoon toured johns pizza work area,opened some vino and made 10 pounds of cheese out of grand curd. scott 123 arrived and we started making pies and talking pizza.scott 123 is a realy nice guy and fun to talk to.this is not my first meeting and he has always been very nice and asks a lot of questions relating to pizza. he seems to always be trying to better understand others views and methods for what they do.
 i was able to attend tony g session in vegas and gave him my opinion of tony, which is with all of his success he still treats pizza as a craft and with respect. he was the was very approachable and certainly didn't let success go to his head. his methods seamed very sound using poolish and biga to enhance his dough, seems like a good tip to us 150 operators that attended his seminar. i know scott is looking at the new york style pies with respect to certain methods that are practiced by the better operators, and his consulting is based on these methods. i can see scott selling his services based on that premise,i know i would want to learn the old school method .
 back to johns pizza cookout we made a oven load of pies using my dough and johns. john had home field advantage and his dough was great. he adds a little twist to his sauce that was very good. adding fresh made mozzarella to them made this a great pizza eating experience. made a lot of different pies which were all very good. the only pie that i didn't love was the Vermont smoked pepperoni. this is just a personal thing in that i like a less greasy pepperoni, it reminded me of a beef stick. we finished with some outstanding dessert pies. the day ended with a concert from johns father-in -law and johns wife playing a  concert on some special Russian musical instruments,and some catch with their daughter kelly who is a little league softball player. john had me in stitches with his aggressive jersey ways. every time he walked by his mobile oven he would say" this baby is a little money machine" we passed it about 15 times that day!! pictures.  next our visit to paulie gees, patsys,and nicoletta
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:46:53 PM by thezaman »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: crazy pizza month
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
Sounds like a fun fun time.  Would love to see some more pizza pictures and less pictures of the guys.  Thanks!  :-D

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »
Nice write up za! Im sorry I couldn't make it up there. It would have been nice to meet you guys.
Chaz

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
Thanks Larry, great stories!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
 part 2 of pizza week was a visit with Paulie g at Paulie gees. this was pizza question asking crew. john conklin and scott weiner were eating dinner along with the four in my group. we started off with that famous lemon aid paulie is know for. we tried five pies plus a pie not on the menu. they were all delicious. the hell boy, and the pie with bacon sauce mixed with tomato sauce and dressed with mozzarella was quite tasty also. we did not try a margherita as paulie advised us not to. my thinking is he does not want the neapolitan label on his joint. he has very creative pies and want people to enjoy them vs. a margherita that is similar in taste to other margs.i questioned him on his sauce and he is tight lipped on it. he did say he was trying to label it in Italy for sale here.so paulie gee sauce may be on it way. i got one picture of a pie at paulies, not a great picture as it is quite a dark joint. also scott weiner is doing a book on pizza boxes we talked about a box from italy that has a beautiful italian girl holding a pie. he remarked that samantha my sons fiance look like her.the funny thing was last visit ti NYC i saw that box and took a picture of here holding it. pic enclosed.
  the next day we hit patsy's in Harlem, sorry only a pic of me in front. it was a good pizza, i do not understand how it gets so much notoriety. they use a good crushed tomato sauce, shreaded cheese but the dough is swimming in flour. they stretch three to 4 pies on top of each other. lot of flour and that yellow bottom that is not desirable in neapolitan pizza.it did not make the dough at all bitter. it is hard for these places to live up to their hype unless you are tasting it with the hype influencing you. or i just do not understand this type of pie.
 out last visit was to Nicolette's to visit my son at work. we hung out and help make a batch of focaccia,and stretched a few pies. i told him i wanted my dough to proof at room temp a couple of hours before i made my pie. we also tried their gluten free which was delicious. thet use the thomas keller gf flour what ever it is called. we ate three pies plus the gf. my pie was the sausage made with the swirled sauce on top. i ate a cut before i snapped the pic, i was weak and needed a slice to get energy. he featured a pie that day that took some components from his visit to paulies.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Larry,

Thank you for sharing your travel stories. And pictures. There is probably no end to the amount of time those of us here would be willing to read about these places and people.

It would have been much easier for you NOT to have shared, so I thank you!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Thank you Larry...ya'll are my kind of folks.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
It only took me a mere two months to gather my thoughts ;) but I finally got a chance to say a few things about our amazing time together at John's:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24674.msg260978.html#msg260978