Author Topic: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
The fridge is $199 at Costco
Temperature Range is 39F - 65F

Bulk proofing trays are $4.97 at Walmart
Dough Ball proofing trays are $3.49. Each one holds five 275g balls. They do not hit the top during proofing.
I use a scraper to get the balls out. Not too difficult.

The fridge will hold 4 bulk containers, or 7 ball proofing containers.

John K

Sorry I don't know how to un-rotate the pics!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:35:36 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
what's the make and model of the fridge please?

would you mind explain how you proof the dough?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:20:13 PM by terryfisher09 »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
Sorry bout that!

Here's the model.

As far as proofing please look at TxCraigs pivotal post on how he proofs. And more recently, I have been trying to perfect my version of bakeshack's dough. Both are NP style.

John K

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
thanks for sharing this with us John  : )

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »
John,  are those food grade?  Marc

Offline lennyk

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:36:55 AM »
how is the cooling power of that unit ?
it make take some time for the dough to be brought down to temp as they would be insulated by air in the plastic boxes

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »
John,  are those food grade?  Marc

No sir, home use only!

I have a party for 50-60 people this weekend so that's what I'm using it for.

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »
how is the cooling power of that unit ?
it make take some time for the dough to be brought down to temp as they would be insulated by air in the plastic boxes

I will let you know on Friday how long it takes to get the temp to stabilize! Good point!

John K

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »
No sir, home use only!

John K

Please be careful about using non-food-grade plastic for fermentation and proofing. Many non food-grade plastics contain nasty compounds that can be absorbed by your dough. You have no way of knowing the extent of this risk. I wouldn't take the gamble.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »

Please be careful about using non-food-grade plastic for fermentation and proofing. Many non food-grade plastics contain nasty compounds that can be absorbed by your dough. You have no way of knowing the extent of this risk. I wouldn't take the gamble.

Bill,

I will look into this. I can't imagine that the extent of leeching, if any, in the absence of heating/microwaving, etc. would cause any ill effects. If you, or anyone else has any specific info (especially to the contrary!) that you could shoot my way I'd appreciate it.

Additionally, the "food grade" containers that I've purchased are "almost perfect" in terms of fitting in the fridge, but not quite... I'll continue the search ;)

I am not really sure what "food grade" plastic is, in fact. Does it refer to the chemicals used, ability to resist scratching, ability to not harbor bacterial colonies???

It is important for people to know that I am not recommending these as a commercial solution.

Thanks,

John K

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
Hah...I use a 28 bottle wine fridge by Wine Enthusiast to bulk proof in Rubbermaid clear polycarbonate food storage containers.
I keep it at 55F. When not proofing I keep a gallon jug of water in it, so it runs less. 
Picked it up on Craigslist for $150 a couple years ago..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:34:42 AM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
Hah...I use a 28 bottle wine fridge by Wine Enthusiast to bulk proof in Rubbermaid clear polycarbonate food storage containers.
I keep it at 55F. When not proofing I keep a gallon jug of water in it, so it runs less.

JJ,

That's a graet idea with the water jug. Esp as we get into the weather we're "supposed to be having"...
I need to check on the type of plastic containers I got here. Looking forward to this weekend!

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »
When not proofing I keep a gallon jug of water in it, so it runs less. 

After it reaches a stable temperature, how much is runs is a function of how much heat can sneak in through the insulation, window, etc. - not what is inside it.

It may not run as frequently with a gallon of water in it, but it will run longer when it does run.
Pizza is not bread.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
After it reaches a stable temperature, how much is runs is a function of how much heat can sneak in through the insulation, window, etc. - not what is inside it.

It may not run as frequently with a gallon of water in it, but it will run longer when it does run.

Very true.

A better idea would be to freeze that gallon of water, and put it in the fridge along with the proofing trays to help take some of the load off the fridge in the beginning stages of cooling. You may need to remove it after a while to prevent over-cooling though.
Josh

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
If you, or anyone else has any specific info (especially to the contrary!) that you could shoot my way I'd appreciate it.

A google search on "toxins in plastic" will turn up a bunch of stuff. Here is one example:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_plastics_leach_toxins

Acidic food can be more easily affected and fermented dough is definitely on the acidic side. I once had a conversation with Hal McGee about this very subject. This was maybe 15 years ago, so things may have changed, but he was particularly concerned about the health risks of Cadmium which was common in non-food-grade plastic back then.

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »
I know someone who puts the dough in oiled disposible clear plastic containers. able to find through any restaurant supply company. He washes the containers after each use.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

A google search on "toxins in plastic" will turn up a bunch of stuff. Here is one example:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_plastics_leach_toxins

Acidic food can be more easily affected and fermented dough is definitely on the acidic side. I once had a conversation with Hal McGee about this very subject. This was maybe 15 years ago, so things may have changed, but he was particularly concerned about the health risks of Cadmium which was common in non-food-grade plastic back then.

Bill,

Thanks so much for that. I will check the bottom of the containers. I wonder what the adhesion of dough to parchment paper would be, if I lined the bottoms of the containers with it. Come to think of it there are probably a lot of "liner" options that would mitigate the amount of contact the dough has with the containers.

Well thanks again. Not asking you to do my work for me, but in my search for "food grade plastic and leeching" I had not encountered that concise answer you provided!

BTW, I keep a copy of McGee's "On Food and Cooking" on my nightstand at times! Its fascinating. He must be a very interesting guy in person.
John K
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:35:22 AM by Serpentelli »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
John,

Any idea how well that will hold at 65-F temp?  I've looked at various wine fridges a few times, and most of them seem to want to run cooler than 65 and/or will just do a range that varies by external temp.  If I could find one that will actually hold a set temp of 65, I'd be very interested. 

Should I assume that the DoughMate trays (home-size) do not fit, or are you referring to other type of dough trays? 

Thanks!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
John,

Any idea how well that will hold at 65-F temp?  I've looked at various wine fridges a few times, and most of them seem to want to run cooler than 65 and/or will just do a range that varies by external temp.  If I could find one that will actually hold a set temp of 65, I'd be very interested. 

Should I assume that the DoughMate trays (home-size) do not fit, or are you referring to other type of dough trays? 

Thanks!

Robyn,

I will be placing a temp probe in the fridge to see how well it performs, and as others here have stated, the performance will probably vary based upon the load being placed on the compressor. I doubt that I will stress it ever again as much as I am planning on this weekend (pizza party for 50-60) so that will be a good test.

The trays are NOT true "proofing trays" They are just plastic containers that by coincidence fit PERFECTLY in the fridge. Whether or not they are suitable for food use is still questionable, but I am checking on that tonight.

John K

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

BTW, I keep a copy of McGee's "On Food and Cooking" on my nightstand at times! Its fascinating. He must be a very interesting guy in person.
John K

He really is a very nice and unassuming guy who has forgotten more than I will ever know. I had the good fortune of attending a class he was giving with Shirley Corriher - a veritable food science dream team.

pizzapan