Author Topic: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
I just checked the bootom of these containers and found the triangular shaped arrows encircling the number 5 with the letters PP below.

These containers appear to be polypropylene, and here is what I came up with:

<5>PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP. Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

Thanks Bill for raising the flag, but it appears as though these will be safe to use. :)

John K

Edit:  I mean to say that they will be safe enough to use for me, John K.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:49:03 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Sorry, John, I misread - I thought you said that actual dough trays didn't fit so you were using the others, now I see I misread that.  I'm trying to find a cooler that will fit my DoughMate trays. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
I just checked the bootom of these containers and found the triangular shaped arrows encircling the number 5 with the letters PP below.

These containers appear to be polypropylene, and here is what I came up with:

<5>PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP. Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

Thanks Bill for raising the flag, but it appears as though these will be safe to use. :)

John K
I think you would be hard pressed to find any item at WalterWorld that is made from the "bad" plastic.Think....about all those terribly cute ::) babies one see's at WW slobbering and sucking on something plastic while cruising around in their baby seats.
Oh, to be young again and have babies.... ::) >:( :angel: :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
I think you would be hard pressed to find any item at WalterWorld that is made from the "bad" plastic.Think....about all those terribly cute ::) babies one see's at WW slobbering and sucking on something plastic while cruising around in their baby seats.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but in any case, I don't know why you would want to create a liability for yourself by suggesting it is safe when you have no idea if it is or not?  ???
Pizza is not bread.

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
I bet the artisan trays by DoughMate / Madan plastics would fit nicely and the work beautifully 5 275 g work best but I do 6 250 g I can get em  quick !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but in any case, I don't know why you would want to create a liability for yourself by suggesting it is safe when you have no idea if it is or not?  ???
Exactly my point; Walmart's lawyers/buyers want to be double sure that any product in the house is safe. No matter how much you slobber on it, no?  They take the "maybe" out of the equation.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:26:25 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
Exactly my point; Walmart's lawyers/buyers want to be double sure that any product in the house is safe. No matter how much you slobber on it, no?  They take the "maybe" out of the equation.

No, I'm talking about Chicago Bob creating a liability for Chicago Bob by speaking out of his rear end. It's like waving someone on at an intersection. You should never do it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
No, I'm talking about Chicago Bob creating a liability for Chicago Bob by speaking out of his rear end. It's like waving someone on at an intersection. You should never do it.

I think is the operative word here.

Now we get to the gist of the legalities...Bob never suggested.

No, I'm talking about Chicago Bob creating a liability for Chicago Bob by speaking out of his rear end.

I do appreciate your concern about which end I am speaking out of though cause I have been known to mess up if given the chance.  ;D

Thanks!

Bobby

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »
Bob,

I'm sure that Wal-Mart does not want to sell something that is knowingly harmful when used for its intended purpose, or might be the subject of a recall, but otherwise it can't spend its time worrying about every possible harm that a product might cause. For those cases, Wal-Mart would rely on indemnity by its suppliers in the event someone sues or threatens to sue Wal-Mart for a perceived harm resulting from use of any product sold by Wal-Mart. Every supplier agreement will have indemnity provisions. Even a supplier might be spared liability if a product is used for other than its intended purpose.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:08:48 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
Bob,

I'm sure that Wal-Mart does not want to sell something that is knowingly harmful when used for its intended purpose, or might be the subject of a recall, but otherwise it can't spend its time worrying about every possible harm that a product might cause. For those cases, Wal-Mart would rely on indemnity by its suppliers in the event someone sues or threatens to sue Wal-Mart for a perceived harm resulting from use of any product sold by Wal-Mart. Every supplier agreement will have indemnity provisions. Even a supplier might be spared liability if a product is used for other than its intended purpose.

Peter
Indemnity can quickly turn unsplendidly. And I am not talking about intended use liability here (that too can become a can of worms, believe it).

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
I bet the artisan trays by DoughMate / Madan plastics would fit nicely and the work beautifully 5 275 g work best but I do 6 250 g I can get em  quick !
John
John,

Pls give dimensions (and costs) for those!

I cant go past 16 x 13 on the L x W  Prefer 3 on the height.

Thanks

John K
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:57:16 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

John, I love your idea of using your wine cooler for proofing.

I use small plastic container for individual dough ball, which I got from Walmart , they are stackable, and food grade.
Bert,

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
John, I love your idea of using your wine cooler for proofing.

I use small plastic container for individual dough ball, which I got from Walmart , they are stackable, and food grade.

Bert,

Can you take a pic of those, and give dimensions?

Thanks!

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
John,

Pls give dimensions (and costs) for those!

I cant go past 16 x 13 on the L x W  Prefer 3 on the height.

Thanks

John K

JConk,

I am unable to PM you re: the dough trays. If anyone is in contact with JConk, pls. relay my message!

Thanks

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
JConk,

I am unable to PM you re: the dough trays. If anyone is in contact with JConk, pls. relay my message!

Thanks

John K

http://www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com/
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
Bert,

Can you take a pic of those, and give dimensions?

Thanks!

John K

Will do tonight
Bert,

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
Thanks Craig!

Thanks Bert!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
Unless you are planning on storing wine, wouldn't it be easier to just add a second refrigerator to your garage, than converting that wine cooler? When the party is over, you will have extra fridge space. Just a thought.

TomN

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 02:30:39 PM »
Unless you are planning on storing wine, wouldn't it be easier to just add a second refrigerator to your garage, than converting that wine cooler? When the party is over, you will have extra fridge space. Just a thought.

TomN

Tom,

The combination of small size, price, and temp control on the wine cooler is what I was looking for. Originally I was going to get an external thermometer (Johnson Control, etc) and attach it to a small fridge, and I may still yet!

But we'll see how my setup works for now.

Most of the time I'm just doing about 10-15 dough balls anyways.

John K

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
Tom,

The combination of small size, price, and temp control on the wine cooler is what I was looking for. Originally I was going to get an external thermometer (Johnson Control, etc) and attach it to a small fridge, and I may still yet!

But we'll see how my setup works for now.

Most of the time I'm just doing about 10-15 dough balls anyways.

John K
Not to mention this has a very big cool factor.  :)
I know you are after control John...don't hurt to do it in style though. 8)

pizzapan