Author Topic: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Costco Proofing Fridge and Walmart Proofing Boxes
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
Really too bad.  I have similar experience with a small portable Samsung refrigerator.  It does not have a temperature display/setting - it has the old fashioned 0-9 dial.  If I want to keep it in the 60's it is very hard to regulate.  A small adjustment can move it 10 degrees.  Similar fluctuations when you open the door.

Currently, I ferment my doughs (TXCraig1 style) in the crawl space, basement part of my house.  This time of year it stays in a range of roughly 60-68.  We are in the process of kitchen update planning and are thinking of a small fridge.  I suspect my dough needs will be (appropriately) banished to a small fridge in the garage.  I was hoping your find would do the trick.

- Mitch

Mitch,

My next iteration will be a slightly larger fridge, preferably one at least 17.5 inches deep so as to be able to accommodate the Doughmate Artisan size proofing trays. I will attach it to an external temperature control device such as:

http://winestat.com/

Or one of the Johnson Control devices:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/keg-equipment/thermometers/A419ABG-3C___9161.shtml?CAWELAID=1372130435&catargetid=1553582284&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPWr3ea-oLcCFYVZ7AodBzwApg

Otherwise I am either constantly fighting ambient temp. Or fighting my wife about messing with the A/C!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
Mitch,

My next iteration will be a slightly larger fridge, preferably one at least 17.5 inches deep so as to be able to accommodate the Doughmate Artisan size proofing trays. I will attach it to an external temperature control device such as:

http://winestat.com/

Or one of the Johnson Control devices:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/keg-equipment/thermometers/A419ABG-3C___9161.shtml?CAWELAID=1372130435&catargetid=1553582284&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPWr3ea-oLcCFYVZ7AodBzwApg

Otherwise I am either constantly fighting ambient temp. Or fighting my wife about messing with the A/C!

John K
Cool!  8)  Those are PID controllers like what FeChef uses on his water bath cookers. Except he builds his own.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
Cool!  8)  Those are PID controllers like what FeChef uses on his water bath cookers. Except he builds his own.

Well I do not possess ANY electrical engineering skills so I am glad these things are not too expensive! :)

What does PID stand for, BTW?

John K

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »
Nice finds!  Will be curious how you solve the fridge solution... (I'm definitely out of space in my own fridge nowadays, and with the oven being built tomorrow, will need a solution for the future that will let me control my rises and store more dough balls...)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
John, if you are going to multi task your controller(sous vid)then you need to note that some of the ones in your link only handle up to 80 degrees. ;)

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
John, if you are going to multi task your controller(sous vid)then you need to note that some of the ones in your link only handle up to 80 degrees. ;)

Bob,

I hear ya on that. Thanks. Seems like I'd go for that JC A419 one since it goes to 212F.

If I were to be ordering one.

Which I probably shouldn't b/c the loveley bride said "No more stuff!!!" on our way home from church yesterday.

But thanks for keeping an eye out for me! ;)

John K

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Bob,

I hear ya on that. Thanks. Seems like I'd go for that JC A419 one since it goes to 212F.

If I were to be ordering one.

Which I probably shouldn't b/c the loveley bride said "No more stuff!!!" on our way home from church yesterday.

But thanks for keeping an eye out for me! ;)

John K
Sure thing!  Oh, and enjoy your new controller when it comes in.   >:D

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
Sure thing!  Oh, and enjoy your new controller when it comes in.   >:D

>:D

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:09 PM »
Yep, I've done a lot of research on wine cooler-type fridges, trying to find one that would allow me to use it for proofing at 60-65F.  None of them appear to be remotely reliable or accurately cooled.  Someday, someone will make one...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
I had a small one once; it was pretty accurate...made by "Magic Chef". We changed out the kitchen "stainless appliance look" so I gave it away.....that was before I got into this site; could sure use it now!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:03:36 PM by Chicago Bob »

pizzapan