Author Topic: lard in dough  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Condolini

• I Love Pizza!
Re: lard in dough
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
What's happened to lard? I haven't bought any since they started hydrogenating it and have not seen manteca (isn't liquid lard an oxymoron?)

Guess I'm used to the stuff we used to make at home. When the hog carcass is broken down bring home the fresh fat, cut it into chunks, heat slowly until the cracklings float to the top. Cool slightly, strain, and store in washed milk cartons (the waxy ones, not plastic.) Chill until solid, overwrap containers with freezer wrap, store in the freezer, thaw in refrigerator. This lard is white to ivory in color, solid, and relatively tasteless. We didn't render the skin, maybe that's where the color difference comes in. We used to fry pork chops or doughnuts in lard, some folks would use lard on their pancakes instead of butter. Leftover pancakes would be sprinkled with brown sugar, rolled, and wrapped in waxed paper for school lunch. Makes the best pie crust.

OK, enough about the olden days.  :-D That manteca from carnitas would find lots of uses at my house. All of this experimentation with pizza may find me canning tomatoes this summer!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
What's happened to lard? I haven't bought any since they started hydrogenating it and have not seen manteca (isn't liquid lard an oxymoron?)
Condolini,

For my latest research, see Reply 18 earlier in this thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25044.msg252936.html#msg252936.

Peter

Offline Petitroche

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
Has anyone tried using bacon grease?   :)
Pizza is to food what bacon is to meat.

Offline Canyon

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
Has anyone tried using bacon grease?   :)

Bacon grease could work, but would add undesirable flavors. Rendered leaf lard is a better choice, as it is snow white and virtually odorless.

For the record, when I worked at Sbarro back in '96 we used solid lard for the thin crust pizza dough. Unfortunately, today the lard has been replaced with olive oil and I'm sure improving the quality wasn't their goal for switching.