Author Topic: Talk me into or out of a Blackstone  (Read 935 times)

Offline ccpark0

• I Love Pizza!
Talk me into or out of a Blackstone
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
First - I have been a lone time lurker of the forums.  Thanks for all the help the past few years. 

Now I have a request, talk me into or out of a Blackstone Pizza Oven.

I have made some excellent pizza on my Big Green Egg at around 550 to 600 but now I want to make a true Neapolitan pie.  I can get my egg over 900 but it is too tricky to balance the stone and dome temperatures.  Not to mention the huge temperature loss you get when you open the top to load the pizza.   I would like a WFO but I don't think it is in the budget and space is a concern.  This will have to be up on my deck so I don't think I can build my own either. 

Let me know your thoughts

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
Re: Talk me into or out of a Blackstone
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »
Something I noticed yesterday, after making my first neapolitan in my new 2stone: some flavors I had been attributing to "wood fired" were actually the flavors of properly charred neapolitan crust. if you've been lurking on the forums for a while, you've seen the thousands of praise posts that have been dedicated to the blackstone.   based on the praise and the pizza pics, i have no doubts the blackstone is capable of far better than my first attempt in the 2stone, and as such is well worth the money.  i'll be recommending the blackstone along side the 2stone to my friends who ask about having their own setup.
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline halfprice

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »
I started making pizzas on my xlbge but it made inconsistent pies.  Stone and oven temps are difficult to maintain.  I got my bs and very happy I did.   It arrived In perfect condition and maked great pizzas.   I have no seconds thoughts about getting the bs

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
I found out about ceramic grills researching wfo. They claimed the BGE would make wfo pizza. So I got a great deal on a ceric grill.
Got tired of lump use when trying to cook real hot and breaking fireboxes and fire rings faster. 

Then I went with kettle pizza. I like pizza off that better than my ceramic. Still have fuel issue, goes through a lot of charcoal and in the winter it would have taken even more.

I got the Black Stone last October and none of my grills will see another pizza. Well maybe a deep dish or I just do those in the oven.
I highly recommend the B.S. You wont look back once you get it. Just my opinion.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Somebody said that the Blackstone is to pizza making what the digital camera is to photography.  I totally agree.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »
Somebody said that the Blackstone is to pizza making what the digital camera is to photography.  I totally agree.

A real easy way to take nudie photos without having to share them with the people at the photo hut? Not sure what that has to do with pizza?

Darn - I probably just dated myself with a photo hut reference.

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »
In.   I sat on the sidelines for about a month, then saw the pies that were coming out from posters on the first bake with a BS , and realized that the sky was the limit.  I only make whole wheat - usually a NY style, and there is no comparison to any other method ( other than a 2stone or an LBE)  I made VillaRoma's whole wheat recipe a few times in my oven and was not too impressed, then made it in the BS - wow.   I have a knock off of a BGE ( the Bubba Keg ) and there is no comparison. 

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »

A real easy way to take nudie photos without having to share them with the people at the photo hut? Not sure what that has to do with pizza?

Prior to the advent of digital photography, developing and editing was strictly in the realm of professionals who were willing to lay out significant sums of money.  Digital photography has democratized that and has put most of that power into the hands of anyone who wants to give it a go.

If that also helps your foreplay, who am I to judge?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ccpark0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I think you have confirmed what I already thought based on all the Blackstone treads I read. 

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

+1   excellent quote, hits the nail squarely on the head.

pizzapan