Author Topic: Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven, PZ90??  (Read 3404 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven, PZ90??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Dave,

Did you ever purchase the camp chef or get any feed back about it? I talked with a friend that is interestyed in buying one. After seeing it on the internet, I too am interested. It seems cost less than the Black Stone Pizza Oven. Can anyone commtent on this??? Thanks.

TomN

http://www.campchef.com/italia-artisan-pizza-oven-pz90.html

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
Dave,

Did you ever purchase the camp chef or get any feed back about it? I talked with a friend that is interestyed in buying one. After seeing it on the internet, I too am interested. It seems cost less than the Black Stone Pizza Oven. Can anyone commtent on this??? Thanks.

TomN

Dave I believe the Black Stone oven comes with its own heat source, propane burner.
This one according to the product info does not.

•Fits all Camp Chef 16" Cooking System stoves

That being said, I use a Camp Chef propane stove to heat my pizza oven and it works pretty well, as long as you use a 60K BTU/hr burner.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »
Mark,

Does the camp chef give you the same wood fires oven results? Obviously not exactly, but does the dough cook out nice? It seems so less expensive than the black stone or a WFO that cost $3000 or more to make. Do you have any pizza pictures that you made with the Camp Chef? Thanks

TomN
PS

The link show the camp chef pizza oven that looks like a grill. Just advance along in the photos. This has my interest.

Description

The Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven cooks the perfect pizza every time. Designed after the idea of a true, wood fire pizza oven, the Italia Pizza Oven takes your homemade pizza to the next level. A ceramic pizza stone promotes even heat and will give your pizza a delectable crust. Enjoy hot, fresh, flavorful pizzas cooked on your patio, in camp or where ever you take your Camp Chef stove. Great to cook breads, cookies, and pies too.
Features

Opened face pizza oven cooks like a traditional wood-fired brick oven
    Fully adjustable heat allows for cooking several styles of pizza including artisan, premade, and frozen pizzas.
    Ceramic stone pulls outer moisture off dough and promotes perfect crust, leaving the inside moist and fluffy.
    Pizza stone made of cordierite ceramic
    Cooking Surface Diameter: 15" x 20" (300 sq. in)
    Specially designed heat diffusion plates
    Built in temperature gauge
    Includes Italia Pizza Oven Cooking Guide with recipes
    Fits all Camp Chef 16" Cooking System stoves
    Temperature range: Temperatures can reach up to 700° F
    Overall Dimensions: 16" x 24" x 9"
    Front Opening Dimensions: 20.5 x 4.5
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:16:48 AM by TomN »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
Does the camp chef give you the same wood fires oven results?

Temperature range: Temperatures can reach up to 700° F

Perhaps if you never plan to bake anything resembling a NP pizza. This oven appears to be terribly limited compared to the Blackstone. IMO, this oven is a disappointment waiting to happen for anyone who appreciates pizza as much as you do.

Do you have any pizza pictures that you made with the Camp Chef?

If I remember right, mark has a 2stone on his Camp Chef stove - not a Camp Chef pizza oven.

It seems so less expensive than the black stone or a WFO that cost $3000 or more to make.

Unless you have a stove that will work already, add another $300+ to the oven cost.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
Thanks Craig,

I will do more investigating on the Black Stone oven. I still remember the pizzeria owner that told me about his Black Stone Oven that he got at Cabela's for half the price since I was the last one. My concern is all the comments from people that have had the wheel on the Black Stone. Over all, do you see this as a well working oven? Thanks again.

TomN

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Tom, Craig is right, I have a 2Stone that is heated by a 60K btu/hr Camp Chef burner. I have never had a WFO so can't comment on the comparison with propane ovens. At the Pizza Expo all the ovens were propane powered, they put out some great pies.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Over all, do you see this as a well working oven?

I've never used one personally, but I'm continually impressed by the pies I see members producing with their BlackStone ovens. For the money, I've not seen another option that comes close.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
I just got the PZ60 Camp Chef Italia Pizza Oven. This fits the 14" Camp Chef stoves. I got this to cook Pizza at Football games etc. I tested it out yesterday. Quick preheat for about 20 minutes or so brought it up to about 650 degrees (air temp). This was achieved using medium heat from my Camp Chef Expedition 2 stove. I made two pizzas which came out great imo. Cooking time was about 6 minutes ( I like mine crispy ). I only paid $119 for this pizza oven from Gander Mountain store. I would recommend highly for someone looking to make pizza while camping, tailgating or just in the backyard. Great deal for the price.

Offline rromeo923

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
Here are some pics of pizza cooked in the Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven PZ 60

Offline RacerX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »
Rromeo,

Your pizza looks great!  I was concerned if the top would get enough heat on the Camp Chef pizza oven and it looks like it does.  I picked up the Blackstone that I can't use until fathers day but I think I am also going to replace my home grill with a Camp Chef because I simply get get the heat I want on on my Webber and the versatility and BTU power of the Camp Chef is amazing.

Offline squadricus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
I picked up a Camp Chef Italia PZ90 on craigslist this week.   It had been used one time, and was being sold by its owner who received it as a gift but "isn't a pizza guy".  I was unaware of it, the LBE, and the other recent commercial and DIY pizza oven possibilities out there.  I have been making thin crust pies and strombolis on my GrillDome and my inlaws BGE for almost 10 years, at several ~30 pie pizza parties per year.  For the last year or so, I have been playing with a hearth oven built in a weber genesis gasser out of firebrick with a kiln shelf for a top.

I was anxious to try it, and made a poolish with One Degree sprouted organic wheat flour (couldn't wait any longer to try Peter Reinhart's suggestions on this), my well water, a little dry malt extract, and Saf-Instant yeast, and let it work for several hours.  I kneaded it briefly, using lots of all purpose flour, did some tartine folds, and rolled it out to about 1/16".

I set it up on a Camp Chef Expedition stove, but on the right side, since the left hand burner looks a little melted. The right had burner was producing a yellow flame I couldn't correct with the air adjustment, so I'm thinking there's a spiderweb partially clogging the orifice.  I gave it a good half hour to heat up, and got the dome reading as high as 700*F.  I had neglected to collect my IR temperature gun from the lab, so I'm not sure what the stone temperature was.

I did our usual BGE-too hot stone not hot enough dome cracker crust pre-bake, then topped and baked several pies.  I know I'm inclined to say this with almost every pizza made outside, but I thought these had the best cracker character I have experienced in hundreds of pies.  Not really happy with the low light photography of these, but I'll read the sticky and try to get them properly sized and posted.

These were cheeseless pies for shakedown purposes: jerk sauce with chicken, balsamic reduction with roasted red pepper, Bufalo chipotle sauce with cut corn, malt syrup, no topping.

Fired it up again and cooked some flour tortillas for grins, this time with IR temperature gun in hand.  The stone clocked at 475-500*F with this setup. 

I have a pretty good assortment of burners to try this out with, quite a few fish/turkey fryers burner stands, 32-jet wok burners, Chinese duck burner, banjo burner, Chinese Super Stove 3-ring, and Thai bucket stoves.  While reconditioning the Expedition, I am going to try it out on an old Dekane gasser with the lid removed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:36:26 PM by squadricus »

pizzapan