Author Topic: Urban's Special Flour  (Read 943 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

Urban's Special Flour
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »

Urban's Special Flour is a special spring patent flour made by horizon milling. Its protein is 13.5%. Its in between Spring King and Hummer flour. I thought Id give it a try my formula was

WATER: 58%
SALT:2.2%
SUGAR:2.5%
OIL:4%
IDY:.2%
 Mixed in a 60qt hobart for 6 minutes let rest for 20minutes finished dough temp was 80 degrees farenhight. The dough was divided into 10 dough balls 21 ounces each. I let them cold ferment 55 hours. I made one pizza at our store and another at my house the next morning both were used straight out of the fridge no temper period.
 Pizza tasted like my other pizzas with Spring king Flour I honestly noticed no difference.
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

Re: Urban's Special Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
Here are some others
Jamie

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Nice pies Kostakis, you may have solved a little mystery for me. I pass the port of Albany, NY on my way home and there is a large building there with the big "Horizon" sign on it, and I have always suspected that it was a flour mill. Now I will have to investigate further and see if they produce the same flour. I use a somewhat similar flour for most of my pizza baking, ConAgra occident, which is a patent spring wheat, unbleached, malted, bromated, but only rated at 12.4% protein. I like the slightly lower protein content, but to each his own. I will definitely give this a try if it turns out that they are milling it in my own back yard!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
I just noticed that the Urban flour is bleached, that is somewhat rare in high protein bread flours, kind of a cheap shortcut to get it to market.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
Thanks, I too like the lower protien flours, but the sales men wanted me to try it and I said why not Im going to get some pillsbury XXXX flour its nothing special but I really like it.

what do you mean by cheap shortcut?
Jamie

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Flour is not white when it is milled, it is a yellowish color which wouldn't appeal to the average consumer. When the flour is allowed to "age" for a while, it slowly turns whiter as the oxygen in the atmosphere "bleaches" the flour naturally. Bleaching is done so the producer doesn't have to wait for this natural aging to happen, it is done chemically so that the flour does not have to be stored and aged, two processes which cost the producer more to do.