Author Topic: pizzeria beddia in Philly, no phone, cash only  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Chaze215

pizzeria beddia in Philly, no phone, cash only
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Has anyone been here? Just read a favorable review on flipboard and yelp has given it great reviews.
http://pizzeriabeddia.wordpress.com/
http://www.citypaper.net/food/Pie_Aspirations.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:39:48 PM by Chaze215 »
Chaz

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: pizzeria beddia in Philly, no phone, cash only
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
It looks as though he is doing everything possible to avoid actually having customers, no matter how good his pizza is.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
It's a neighborhood business, with walk in traffic, so what's the point of answering phones and telling folks over and over that they don't sell slices and don't deliver.
He's bringing in some of the best Mozz in the East Coast, so it appears he cares a lot about his quality.
As for cash only...it won't cost him a single customer and he keeps the 3% in his pocket.

I'll bet he sights Anthony Mangieri as his inspiration.

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:13 AM »
Im assuming most people saw this, cool article - definitely need to make the trip soon http://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/beddia

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
He is running pretty much on the model I grew up with in NJ.  Cash only, limited menu, small staff.  The first pizzeria I worked in, Alfredo's, was run by Alfredo and that was it.  He was a recent immigrant and he told his wife the only way he would come to America was if he could open a small pizzeria.   He liked my band and would come by our gigs in his white outfit with lots of food.  His wife always had "the headache" and the girls loved him so he got lots of attention....  He also liked to shoot dice on the counter of his shop, spike the expressos with sambuca, and loved to chit chat all day.  I use to hang out there in all my free time and eventually ended up working for no pay just food.  That was fine with me.  He was way old school and even roasted his coffee beans in the ovens. These kinds of pizzerias were much more common 50 years ago.  The problem today is the rents/food costs/labor are so high that places are almost forced to do mega production.  Joe figured out if you only have 2 salaries and low rent then it is still possible. One has to be in a special place to pull this off because you are not going to send you 6 kids through college on the profits.  We will be opening in a similar style because we have no kids, are near retirement and can pull our pensions, and will be using the pizzeria as a social cause- training ground for people with disabilities to learn work and social skills.  Food trucks have been the other avenue to keep the small shop concept alive.  I am proud of this guy Joe and hope to try his pizza someday.  Walter

PS:  Norma of our forum is keeping this tradition alive as well :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:58:56 AM by waltertore »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »

This is an older article about Pizzeria Beddia, how long his pies bake and other things from Serious Eats. 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/first-look-pizzeria-beddia-philadelphia.html 

If I get the chance I would like to visit Pizzeria Beddia.

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:34:24 AM »
Not the best pizza in the country. Can we all come to the conclusion these articles are pretty much bunk?

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
Not the best pizza in the country. Can we all come to the conclusion these articles are pretty much bunk?

As they say - life is mostly about timing - being in the right place at the right time to get an article like this. IMO we are all equally qualified to rate any sort of pizza because if we like it we like and if we don't we don't.  The good news on these things is they tend to spotlight people that are making pizza like they use to in the sense of quality ingredients, small operations and skilled staff.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:36:58 AM by waltertore »

Offline Davydd

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
I worked in a simple pizza parlor like that when I was in high school. Same deal. No credit cards. Only credit cards didn't exist 55 years ago.  ;D

He's doing his thing and has a limited ceiling of 40 pizzas and a long line to eat them every day. Obviously he has a limited income you could probably figure out if you took the time. Success is what you define and make it. 

As for the article, it is one man's opinion it is the best pizza in America. The opinion could be legit if it hit his taste buds just right. The aura surrounding a pizza is just as legit in making it the best to someone's senses.

Technically there is no best pizza in America. 330 million people could not possibly taste them all or let alone agree. Heck, you could take the acknowledged top 10 food critics in America or the 10 most knowledgable people on this board and probably not reach a consensus if they had to choose, make a blind taste and make a blind submittal without the influence of others. Like in all ratings though there is always the influence following effect. That's how some pizza parlors stand out. Cable food features, magazine features, Internet rating articles, Google list placement, celebrity endorsements, etc. They all feed on each other and grow because everyone putting together such information has to initially research.

All such reviews are worthwhile. Most have to be legitimately good to get noticed and mentioned. With so many pizzas and so few opportunities they serve a purpose to winnow down choices to better odds.
Davydd