Author Topic: Petitroche  (Read 128 times)

Offline Petitroche

• I Love Pizza!
Petitroche
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »
Hello fellow pizza lovers

I've been reading the posts for a while, mainly about dough and equipment, and decided I'd best join if I wanted to ask questions.  I've been making pizza for at least 20 years, and the methods have changed over time.  My interest today is just small pizza for home and in finding better ways to do it.  I am on a quixotic quest for building a dough roller or press so maybe I can get some help there, or help someone.  If any of my pizzas turn out with thick crust, it's because I didn't manage to get it rolled out flat enough, because I prefer a thin crust.

Petitroche
Pizza is to food what bacon is to meat.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Petitroche
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
Petitroche, Welcome to the forum. I must have missed your previous posts. I am wondering with 20years of pizza making experience, why you roll your dough at all? I, like many, open my dough ball by hand and obtain a thin crust. I do leave a somewhat puffy cornice however and perhaps you prefer your crust thin to the edge.
At any rate, would love to see pics of your pies and learn the process you use.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Petitroche

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Petitroche, Welcome to the forum. I must have missed your previous posts. I am wondering with 20years of pizza making experience, why you roll your dough at all? I, like many, open my dough ball by hand and obtain a thin crust. I do leave a somewhat puffy cornice however and perhaps you prefer your crust thin to the edge.

Mark

Because I sold my Acme dough sheeter a year ago and now that I'm retired I try to do everything on the cheap.   20 years of experience is not exactly what I mean.  I've been trying to make pizza for 20 years.  I did open a pizza place back in 2001, but extraordinary events that year doomed my effort.  Making pizza at home is a different thing than making pizza in your own store with all the professional equipment that you need.  I think that if I can perfect some very cheap way to roll or press pizza dough, that other's here might benefit from my efforts.  I will say that I've learned more about making dough in the last year than I've ever know before.  This forum has helped a lot and Jeff V's website is good as well.
The dough press is more of a long term idea and in the short term, I'm working on growing my own starter and processing my dough with my quisinart food processor instead of the KA mixer. (the 60qt Hobart is but a memory) :'(

Offline Petitroche

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »

Mark

BTW thanks for the welcome.  I should have added that what I'm doing now is using a cup of my starter and 2 cups of KABF, 1 tsp of salt and 1/3 cup of water and about 30-40 seconds in the processor.  I added 1 tsp of oil in my last batch to see if it would be easier to roll or stretch or toss.  I think I also need to use more water for a wetter dough.   I let it age at least 24 hours but I didn't do a pizza today so tomorrow  will be 48 hrs.  I have a Sonoma stone in the oven and I run it about 500F.  It's good pizza, but it's not...perfect, and that's the goal.  I've been using a block of Baker's Pride mazzerella from Sam's and I like it.  The only tomato products I can get this far back in the sticks is Hunts or Red Gold.  There's no Stanislaw around here.

pizzapan