Author Topic: Stuck dough  (Read 974 times)

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
Stuck dough
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
Suggestions please members, I use Lehman's excellent dough calculator, am fastidious about accuracy to it. Using an aluminium tray, directly on the bottom element, 250 C, 8 mins cook, pizza always sticks to the tray. I don't oil the tray. Wonderful tasting dough, everything excellent, but I have to wrestle the pizza off the tray. Something I am missing ? Appreciate any suggestions !

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Stuck dough
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
Suggestions please members, I use Lehman's excellent dough calculator, am fastidious about accuracy to it. Using an aluminium tray, directly on the bottom element, 250 C, 8 mins cook, pizza always sticks to the tray. I don't oil the tray. Wonderful tasting dough, everything excellent, but I have to wrestle the pizza off the tray. Something I am missing ? Appreciate any suggestions !
Aluminum trays are usually used for serving the pizza on. Have you used this tray with success on other non- Lehmann dough pizza's?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:46:37 AM »
Bob, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used aluminium trays for many years to cook and serve the pizza. I have a new oven, same brand as previous, and since then I have this sticking scenario. The only thing new is the mine of information I have gleaned from this fantastic forum, ie the NY dough, which is  a marvel ! What is the common thing used, is it slid onto  a stone off a peel ?

Gus

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Bob, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used aluminium trays for many years to cook and serve the pizza. I have a new oven, same brand as previous, and since then I have this sticking scenario. The only thing new is the mine of information I have gleaned from this fantastic forum, ie the NY dough, which is  a marvel ! What is the common thing used, is it slid onto  a stone off a peel ?

Gus
Yes, exactly Gus...off the peel onto stone. If you have difficulty using a peel you can place a piece of parchment paper on your peel and assemble pizza on top of that. Snatch the paper out after a couple minutes of baking.  ;)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
DJ;
Is your aluminum tray well seasoned? If not seasoned, or one of the non-stick, dark colored finishes there is a high probability that the pizza will stick to the tray during baking unless the tray has been oiled.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

Gus

Gus, if your oven is the same brand as your old one, does it also heat the same as your old one. If the oven is the only variable that has changed, ie pans are the same, dough recipe is the same, cooking temp is the same, logically it must be the new oven. Perhaps the distance from the heating element has changed?
I would try adding oil as Tom has suggested, of course if the pan worked before unoiled.......?
Do you pre heat the aluminum tray before launching the pie onto it?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
I think you would probably like the Lehmann pizza better anyway if you would cook it directly on the stone.... :-\

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »
DJ;
Is your aluminum tray well seasoned? If not seasoned, or one of the non-stick, dark colored finishes there is a high probability that the pizza will stick to the tray during baking unless the tray has been oiled.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Hey Tom,
Thank you for the reply. I have used the trays for years and notice no seasoning on them at all, only the cut marks from the cutter. I suspect the oven, which may operate differently to the previous model. Since my post, I now use the stone which has eliminated the problem. Also, my appreciation to you for the excellent dough calculator.

Regards,
Gus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:37:16 PM by doughjockey »

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Gus, if your oven is the same brand as your old one, does it also heat the same as your old one. If the oven is the only variable that has changed, ie pans are the same, dough recipe is the same, cooking temp is the same, logically it must be the new oven. Perhaps the distance from the heating element has changed?
I would try adding oil as Tom has suggested, of course if the pan worked before unoiled.......?
Do you pre heat the aluminum tray before launching the pie onto it?

Mark
Hi Mark,

I think you are right about the oven. I use the three elements, top, bottom and the fan, and I think once the set temp is reached, the elements cycle on/off such that just at the time I sit the tray directly onto the bottom of the oven, that element is off. I confess not thinking the problem through, placing  blame where it doesn't belong. You know the scenario, "worked for years, now what !". In Australia, all pizza joints, excluding wood fired, use aluminium trays to cook them on, none use oil that I have seen, that said, I haven't set foot in a pizza joint for many many years, it could have all changed.

Regards,
Gus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:29:12 PM by doughjockey »

Offline doughjockey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
I think you would probably like the Lehmann pizza better anyway if you would cook it directly on the stone.... :-\
Absolutely right Bob, using  the stone since, sooooo much better ! Thanks ! That NY crust is just magic......Now, I am itching to fly to NY and do a pub crawl on pizza joints there.

Regards,
Gus

pizzapan