Author Topic: We need to generate some traffic for this site  (Read 811 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
We need to generate some traffic for this site
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
The members currently on and new threads/day is dwindling.

Nate
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:08:58 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: We need to generate some traffic for this site
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »

Nate
Nate,

Are you speaking broadly and generally or the recent posting rate? If you are speaking about the past few days, it is quite common for the posting rate to drop in the period from Friday through Mother's Day each year.

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
Nate,

Are you speaking broadly and generally or the recent posting rate? If you are speaking about the past few days, it is quite common for the posting rate to drop in the period from Friday through Mother's Day each year.

Peter

Peter,

I was talking about in general.  Seems pretty slow in 2013.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
Peter,

I'm not sure the data supports your hypothesis. YOY, growth appears relatively steady.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
Peter,

Nate,

I am always looking at the forum's numbers and I do not see anything out of the ordinary. For example, for the first four months of the year, here are the numbers of new posts:

Jan 2013: 5320
Feb: 5433
Mar: 5503
Apr: 5403

Extrapolating May's numbers from yesterday to the end of the month would put us at (31/11) x 1960 = 5524 new posts. On an annualized basis, that would place us at around 64,500 new posts. In 2012, there were 64,625 posts.

To be honest, the quality of posts is much more important to me than the quantity of posts. As a Moderator, part of my job is to look at all of those posts. So, anything that calls for me to spend more time at that task is something that I would rather avoid as much as possible.

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »
So are the new member threads up as well?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »
So are the new member threads up as well?

Nate,

Almost zero. Most of the people who join the forum are looking for something. And to find it, they have to register. They rarely become active participants. You can answer your question for yourself by going to the New Forum Members board at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,64.0.html. Look at several pages of names of new members and tell me how many of the names you recognize or posts that they have entered. I have done this on several occasions and maybe I found a few (mainly because they posted further) but after about six months they are invariably all gone from the forum. The core group of posters on the forum at any one time is quite small in relation to the total number of members.

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Yea that is what I was referring to.  New member posts (fresh blood).

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
Yea that is what I was referring to.  New member posts (fresh blood).

New member posts don't support your original observation either. New member posts/threads are not down to "almost zero." They have always been almost zero for the reasons Peter noted.

Using new posts as a proxy, growth has been consistent over the past 5 years with ~1,000 posts/month growth YOY.

To be honest, the quality of posts is much more important to me than the quantity of posts.

+1. The last thing we need is to generate traffic for traffic's sake - fresh blood or not.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Even tho the numbers show status quo. I suggest we start a give away. Free pizza lessons to all newbies posting 50 posts!

Wait! We may already have that???

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
While I can't prove it, I think that we lose some valuable members of fairly long standing because they can't keep up with the forum. They have jobs, families and a variety of other obligations and commitments and interests that keep them from looking at over a thousand new posts a week (or an average of about 180 posts a day). Also, there are some people who, when they feel they have lost control of a matter, will abandon it. I am like that myself and if I were not a Moderator and forced to keep up, I would most likely have left the forum long ago.

I don't want to leave the impression that we don't get any active members out of the crop of new members who join the forum. See, for example, Reply 98 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19767.msg195621.html#msg195621, where I mentioned some of the members who have gone on to become valuable contributors to the forum. But, they represent but a minuscule percent of the new members. I elaborated further on the matter of new members at the following Reply 99 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19767.msg195635.html#msg195635.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
I am like that myself and if I were not a Moderator and forced to keep up, I would most likely have left the forum long ago.

I

Peter

Peter/et al, An educational forum is a great tool for those who want to learn a skill. Once the skill is learned the tool becomes less used. Some will continue however in the forum for other reasons.
Some time ago there was a thread re posts that were more social in nature and less educational. There seemed to be some pretty strong feelings about that subject, even to the point that older members were assumed to have left because of too many social posts.

The chit chat section is probably one of those social areas that may keep the traffic going.
We all have our reasons for being here, I for one am glad The forum continues and more importantly glad the core core members are so kind and gracious in giving out help to those of us who need it.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
Mark,

You raise some very good points.

When I joined the forum in 2004, there were very few members, and the focus of the forum was to teach people how to make pizzas in their own homes that rivaled or bettered what they could get in pizzerias. There was no other place on the Internet that did that. And the social media did not exist. For several years, I spent a good part of my time on the forum teaching other members about pizza. I ended up posting a lot because we had very few "teachers" on the forum. In my case, I had spent a couple of years researching the subject so by default I became one of the members who "taught" those who were new to the subject. So, my mindset has always been on the teaching component of the forum.

Fast forward, with the advent and growth of the social media, it was natural that a social component would creep into the forum. I personally have chosen not to participate in social media, even though I know the pros and cons of doing so, but I have come to accept that a social component for our forum is inevitable. But I look at the situation as one of balance. As I see it, if there is too much of a social component, people may be confused about what the forum really stands for. As it is, we have days where the number of posts that are unrelated to pizza is close to the number of posts that are related to pizza. I also understand that there are members for whom social contact in even a virtual setting fills a need or void in their lives. The fact that we have so many members who are decent, smart (and in some cases, brilliant), talented and caring strengthens that social compact. Some of that social compact has spilled over into the real world where members who got to "know" each other on the forum have gotten together in real-life settings and formed friendships and bonds that would not have happened without the forum. So, the value of the social component should not be minimized.

The Moderators and Steve have discussed the changing role of the forum. We have also discussed the role of the Chitchat and Off-Topic Foods boards. The consensus that we have reached is that a social component has become part of the forum's fabric but that the forum shouldn't stray too far off of its longstanding role of teaching people about pizza such that it unduly dilutes the purpose for which the forum was formed in the first place. In keeping with this, we also decided to leave the Chitchat and Off-Topic Foods boards alone.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »

Nate
Don't worry Nate...I'm always here for you bruddah!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline derricktung

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
As a relatively new member, I like the community how it is right now.  We've got some very involved folks who are willing to lend advice to newer members, and some interesting discussion.

In today's day and age, I have to agree with above posts though... people are out to find information, and care less about building community.  You can't do much about that, unless you decide to restrict tools/information and force people to stay longer.. but that will only delay the inevitable leaving if they plan to leave.

Any particular reason why we're pushing for growth here?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
I just like seeing all the pizza pics really.  The more the merrier.

Nate

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
I just like seeing all the pizza pics really.  The more the merrier.

Nate
+1  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan