Author Topic: Tonights emergency pie  (Read 655 times)

Offline DenaliPete

Tonights emergency pie
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »
I've posted this recipe before in volume measurements, but because alot of our members like to use weight based measurements I figured I would actually measure it out tonight.  This recipe never lets me down for pizza, but it also makes an incredible french bread in a pinch.  These measurements will produce 2 loaves of french bread or 3 pizzas for me.  I don't really know how to convert to bakers percentages so I'll just list the weights.

796 g bread flour (I used KABF tonight)
600 g water (about 2.5 cups)
13.8 g sugar (About 1 tablespoon)
12.5 g salt (about 4/5 tablespoon)
7.6 g yeast (About 2 1/4 tsp)

Mix the yeast and sugar into the water and let the yeast bloom, then mix in 2 cups of the flour.  It will look like biscuit dough at this point.  I then stop the mixer and let the dough autolyse for 30-40 minutes

Start the mixer again on slow speed, add the salt and begin slowly adding the flour, about 1/4 cup at a time. 

When all the flour is incorporated into the dough I turn the speed of the mixer up to medium (I use a DLX mixer) and allow it to mix for 6 minutes.

Place the dough into an oiled container and allow to double in size.  After it's doubled I fold the dough several times and then split into balls.  Each ball is roughly 476 grams.

I'll post pics when the pizza is complete.

DenaliPete

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Tonights emergency pie
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
Flour 100%
Water 600g/796g=75%
Sugar 13.8g/796g=1.7%
Salt 12.5g/796=1.57%
Yeast 7.6g/796g=0.95%

Can't wait for the pics.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:47:46 AM »
Sorry for the delay in posting pics folks.  I discovered that it's much easier to load pictures from my iphone.

The dough performed well, it was the hands of the operator that uglied things up a bit.  Didn't turn out as round as I wanted, etc.

However, I was quite happy with the taste.

I made one dough ball for pizza, and the remaining to make a loaf of bread. 

The pizza was topped with whole milk mozzarella, some provolone, and monterey jack cheese.  No matter how much I try, I just have a hard time getting a taste for provolone.  Other toppings included thinly sliced mushroom and red onion, as well as some applegate uncured pepperoni. 

After the pizza was pulled from the oven it received a drizzle of calabrian chili oil.

I actually discovered that while drizzling the chili oil was a little messy on top of the pie, brushing it on the pizza with a pastry brush gives me a nice even coating of the flavor and heat I'm after without having to worry about any oil dripping off the pizza.

The bread turned out great as well.  Cooked at 450 for under 15 minutes.

I really enjoy the bread for toasting and sandwiches.  The sandwich pictured is a simple pepperoni sandwich with a touch of mayo and calabrian chili oil.

I've got a cracked tooth that has been giving me trouble, but it couldn't keep me from digging in.

The two loaves pictured are from a previous batch made with the same formula.  The loaf I prepared the night I made pizza had scoring I wasn't happy with, which I had hastily made with my pocketknife. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:08:14 AM by DenaliPete »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
Excellent results Pete...everything looks really great and thank you for converting your recipe. Good job!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steven.fisher

• How to make pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
Great texture and not half baked, well done :chef:

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
Nice pie and bread.  It is rumored that the Calabrian chili oil can heal most ailments, brobably chipped teeth too.  Use more of it when you can, lol.  :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »
Thank you guys for the comments.  I'll probably be making more pies and bread as time permits to try and re-acquire my feel for the dough.  I'll try and snap better pictures as well.  I'm not incredibly satisfied with how photogenic either product was, though the taste was still satisfying.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:48:36 AM »
Nice pie and bread.  It is rumored that the Calabrian chili oil can heal most ailments, brobably chipped teeth too.  Use more of it when you can, lol.  :chef:

You may be exactly right.

Well, I should clarify.  While the chili oil certainly hasn't healed my chipped teeth, it makes things so irresistible.  Pain be damned, I will be eating every last bite.

I think I'll stick with the basting brush method from now on though.  Less mess, same great taste.

pizzapan