Author Topic: Making the most of your home oven  (Read 5687 times)

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
Re: Making the most of your home oven
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 10:03:29 PM »
Here's a link to my most recent attempt at Nearlypolitans in my home oven.  Moved my steel plates closer to the broiler and preheated the oven at 550 convection for 2 hours.  For the last 15 minutes, I set the oven to max broil and the IR gun read 647.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35033.msg399563#msg399563

Most times I preheat the oven at 550 convection for an hour and the IR gun reads 607.  Bam!  NY pies in 4 minutes.  Love my steel plates and they're the only mod of my home oven.  It cost me about $65 and worth every dollar!
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
Hi Jackie! I wondering about the pictures of your pizza and it is really good! Unfortunately my english is not so good and can you explain for me something? What do you mean about to turn on broiler? Is it a special option in oven?

And can you give a recipe of your dought please?  :)

Thank you and yes the ovens here have a broil option. Once activated, only the top element puts out intense heat used for broiling or searing.   My recipes are like any typical recipe you find on this forum.  Any recipe will work.  If you need help with any part of dough making or pizza making, feel free to PM me and I will try to help as best as I can.  Good luck. 

Chau

Offline texmex

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
This formula makes about 2000 grams of dough.  I make 10 dough balls at roughly 200 grams each.
I like thin pizza with a fluffy cornicion to be cooked on my 12 inch round cordierite in 550 degree oven. Theres also a thinner square shaped stone of unknown origin in my oven. So I cooked this one on the square stone center of oven, with the round stone on the above shelf.
 It's a dough of Fazzari's that I copied and tweaked.
  It's got Mmmph's Cape Fear starter. I like to use up starter at feeding time rather than toss it out.
 We make smaller pizzas because my home oven is small and my mini black egg is also small. 
  Normally I can stretch this to 10 or 11" and leave the edge intact.
 I used this dough 2 days ago on my brother's green egg grill, at about 600 degrees for 6 to 7 minutes.

This particular pizza is a 250 gram dough ball (long story)
...but i baked it in my home oven at 550 for 8 mins.  It is crackling crisp and tender, and I definitely overload. the. toppings every.single.time! 

It's a versatile dough, and it has been in my fridge for 5 days. Actually, this batch was frozen immediately after the first balljng,  thawed yesterday for 5 hours at room temp, plans to bake fell thru so It' d been in the fridge 10 hours after that, then reached room temp 2 hours before stretching today.  Can anybody follow this? The dough is very forgiving!

Here's the workflow:

245 total grams preferment (all purpose flour)
1070 grams bread flour
615 grams water
24 grams each of sugar, oil, salt
2g ADY

Process :
preferment : 145g cold not quite ready starter (Cape Fear) added to Kitchenaid mixer bowl with 50g AP flour 50g tap water = 245g total preferment. Covered and left until bubbly approx 8 hours in my cold kitchen.

Using dough hook incorporate remaining ingredients and stir on low approximately 1 minute, until dough pulls away from bowl... Rest 5 mins.

Wet hands (adds hydration with each stretch/fold) stretched in bowl fully 5 times at 30 mins intervals, cover in fridge overnight.in the morning I turned out and fold the cold dough one last time, just to check smoothness (been awhile since I've made dough). then scale at 200 g per ball placed 8 balls directly to freezer, remaining 2 in fridge was going to cook them later that day but waited approximately 55 hours before i tried them out on my brother's green egg..

I have also used a variant of this dough in the mini black egg at lower temp to great success, but I was first attracted to it because it worked so well in my home oven right from the start.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:09:47 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline texmex

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »
I  just saw the below linked thread today, and have been trying to achieve better top browning in my home oven by using 2 stones http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41068

My oven is a gas wall unit with broiler compartment below the oven. The stove vents out the front and releases a lot of steam, and I  have considered covering the vents, but I'm scared.  I have taken my pizzas from the oven compartment down to the broiler for a minute or so of top browning, but that's just a pain, so I  keep trying to find the sweet spot within the oven itself.

My previous Nov 2015 post with pics of my pale pizza states that I baked on square stone with my round stone above.  Recently I added a cast iron lid underneath the bottom stone to lift it closer to the above stone. I decided to reverse the stone placement with square stone on top rack of oven, plus today I added a strip of foil along the back edge of the top stone to try and trap some heat.  I'm baking later and will post results. 

Including a few pics so y'all can see what I have to work with.
Reesa

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
I have been meaning to update this thread for some time to add additional information on the use of two stones. Better late than never.

I will begin by noting, as I did at Reply 53 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30759.msg346223;topicseen#msg346223, that our own Steve Zinski was one of the early users of the two-stone method, even before he started this forum.

Next, at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37578.msg375905#msg375905, I provided links to places that discuss the two stone method as used by Tony Gemignani, and by other members. If one has Tony's book, the Pizza Bible, and if one searches the Pizza Bible forum at http://www.thepizzabible.com/, it is likely that there will be additional information on the use of multiple stones, and also steel plates and combinations of steel plates and pizza stones.

Peter

Offline texmex

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »
I have been meaning to update this thread for some time to add additional information on the use of two stones. Better late than never.

I will begin by noting, as I did at Reply 53 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30759.msg346223;topicseen#msg346223, that our own Steve Zinski was one of the early users of the two-stone method, even before he started this forum.

Next, at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37578.msg375905#msg375905, I provided links to places that discuss the two stone method as used by Tony Gemignani, and by other members. If one has Tony's book, the Pizza Bible, and if one searches the Pizza Bible forum at http://www.thepizzabible.com/, it is likely that there will be additional information on the use of multiple stones, and also steel plates and combinations of steel plates and pizza stones.

Peter

Thanks for providing those links, Peter.  I have been using 2 stones ever since my mini black egg build  ;) but it was several years later that I acquired the second rectangular stone for my oven, and it's a stone that I'm always afraid will crack, but so far so good.

Today's pies were interesting. I used my usual dough, described above but at 550 the first pie appeared already done in 6 mins, but had a very distinct gumline, but nice coloring on top and bottom (I'm sure it helped to have that foil strip at the back). First 2 photos. My crumb/gum shots were too blurry.

I powered down  the oven to 500 degrees hoping for a slower more even bake, but the gumline is still there, even though the 2nd pie puffed up on one side within 3minutes and forced all the toppings to slide over. I grabbed it off the bottom stone, cracked an edge and deflated it, moved some toppings back to their respective side and continued the bake on the lower stone again.  Not sure what that gumline is all about. Sometimes it shows up, while others it is just not there. Frustrating.  Second pie went for 9 maybe 10 minutes.  It was much better than the first, but I'm  going to have to reexamine my dough issues, as the gumline just irritates all hell outta me, though I probably not replicate it qgain if I tried. It's phantom gum! :-D
Reesa

Offline texmex

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
I'm searching for bottom drawer broiler methods and found several more threads about baking in home ovens, using broiler,  2 stones, etc.
New York style:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21996.msg223980#msg223980

And nearlypolitan:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10024.125

Reply 42 baked in home oven on steel  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15856.25

Another New York using tiles
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19236.msg188110#msg188110

An interesting tiled broiler drawer and then oven bake using Chau's formula http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29924.msg299328#msg299328

Oven mod aka how hot can your gas oven get?  :o http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12692.msg125202#msg125202

I'll post more as I find them, but that's a lot of reading.
Reesa

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
Here's a pizza I made using just one pizza stone and a gas home oven.  The stone is about 3" from the broiler and the rack is set on the first rung. I used the broiler element to get the stone temp to 650F after the oven had preheated for 45m at 550f. Stone temp on launch was around 615F and the rest of the bake was done with the oven set at 550F.   This is a 6 min bake. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:28:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
That's beautifull Jackie. Once you lauched the pie what cooking element was heating the oven for those 6 mins was it regular bake mode, convection mode? thanks for your contributions.

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
Nice Jackie.  Did you oil that rim pre bake?
Jeff

Offline texmex

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
Damn, that's gorgeous!  Is this a RT dough?  Formula? On second thought, those micro bubbles on the cornicione scream CF.

I'm contemplating a high hydration baked solely in the broiler drawer...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:02:41 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
That's beautifull Jackie. Once you lauched the pie what cooking element was heating the oven for those 6 mins was it regular bake mode, convection mode? thanks for your contributions.

Thank you RB.  Once I lauch the pie, the oven is on Regular bake mode.  It's an old gas oven, so there is no convection mode.  I believe the bottom and top elements cycle on and off to keep the temp at 550F.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »
Nice Jackie.  Did you oil that rim pre bake?

Yes  I did.  I typically do for NY bakes. 

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
Damn, that's gorgeous!  Is this a RT dough?  Formula? On second thought, those micro bubbles on the cornicione scream CF.

I'm contemplating a high hydration baked solely in the broiler drawer...

Thanks TM.  The dough had an 8 hour RT bulk followed by about 33 hours of CF (from 40F-60F).  Do post up pics.  This is my new favorite way of baking in the Home Oven. 

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
Jackie, what size do you typically make for your NY style?
Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 03:20:40 PM »
I typically make about a 13" pie. 

Offline texmex

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
Thanks TM.  The dough had an 8 hour RT bulk followed by about 33 hours of CF (from 40F-60F).  Do post up pics.  This is my new favorite way of baking in the Home Oven.

I did a little experiment yesterday as documented here...http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14714.msg414156#msg414156
....but I didn't have proper time to fully committ to the process. I'm not sure how to proceed, and it's not something I plan on  giving up trying.
Reesa

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Reesa, I'll respond in that post.

Offline Nwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »

Jackie, do you happen to remember the exact recipe? I'm using a similar gas oven and want to try and recreate this-thanks!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
Jackie, do you happen to remember the exact recipe? I'm using a similar gas oven and want to try and recreate this-thanks!

I don't remember that exact recipe.  I tried looking through my old notebooks but I have so many laying around.  Most of my recipes are very similar.  The following was a typical recipe I was using at that time.

HG flour 100%
water     63%
IDY        0.4%
salt        2%
sugar     1%
fat         2%
LDMP   0.5-1%

All in home mixer.  Mix about 7-8min on spd 1.  Ball the dough up.  Let it rest covered 10-15m.  Do some S&F's and ball the dough up again.  Repeat this another time.  Let the dough rest for a few hours or until you start to see some fermentation activity.   Divide and ball up the dough tightly.  Put into oiled containers.   Let the dough sit out on the counter a few more hours until the balls have grown about 50% of its original size.  Place the balls into the fridge for at least 24 hours.  Take the dough out several hours before baking so that the balls reach room temp and finishes proofing if need be.  You want the balls proofed pretty well.  Nice and airy. 

You want to bake these with a stone temp of at least 600F.  See previous posts on how to do this in your home oven.  You are shooting for a bake time of about 6 minutes. 

Chau