Author Topic: Anyone have advice on a commercial deck they use at home?  (Read 380 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Anyone have advice on a commercial deck they use at home?
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:23:58 AM »
I have come across a Blodgett double deck that I think may be a deal.  I dream of buying it and then I would really have a real pizza oven to try and replicate some of my favorite Chicago thin crust pizzerias at home!! and I mean try try try.....im nowhere close!  but  I mean from the mom and pops in the burbs, we loved little Italian, genies, then to aurlelios, rosattis etc.   has anyone built a place for a commercial deck in a garage or in outside bbq?(I think that would be soo sweet! to have a built in Blodgett deck oven outside!). When you think about it really, one can get a WFO built for several grand!  several severals Gs!  or a used deck oven cheaper?  would you guys recommend stone lined as best case?  but if I find a steel? go with gas(propane)? or 220V?  I did back of hand calc for how much propane / pizza and I thought it was bad, so ive been leaning electric?  but shoot I forget the price of propane at the time!!  heh heh!  thanks for any and all insights and conversation!  love this forum!! 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Anyone have advice on a commercial deck they use at home?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »
Its not a Blodgett, but the price was right. its a steel deck compacta modular....got it home. got to now get it into the house!  gonna  need a new 220v outlet installed and a good electrician!  its 3 phase 220v and made in England so Its gonna need a little finesse in the wiring dept I think!  and then an exhaust hood.  its a long term project, but I cant wait to try and cook a Chicago thin crust pizza in it!!!  any advice??  thanks gang!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
Its not a Blodgett, but the price was right. its a steel deck compacta modular....got it home. got to now get it into the house!  gonna  need a new 220v outlet installed and a good electrician!  its 3 phase 220v and made in England so Its gonna need a little finesse in the wiring dept I think!  and then an exhaust hood.  its a long term project, but I cant wait to try and cook a Chicago thin crust pizza in it!!!  any advice??  thanks gang!
Here in Vancouver electric deck ovens don't require any exhaust. Might want to look into that. Will save you some money.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »

Your wife must be thrilled with your new acquisition.   

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »
Here in Vancouver electric deck ovens don't require any exhaust. Might want to look into that. Will save you some money.

thank you very much Tdeane!  I will check it out!!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:07:28 AM »
Your wife must be thrilled with your new acquisition.

My wife is the coolest!!!!! 

Look what she got me for my birthday!!   although she does want it off the dining room table.....oops......been there for a few months...its friggin heavy!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:44:12 AM »
mrmojo1,

That is cool what your wife got you for you birthday.   8)  I had one something like yours when I first learned to make pizzas.  I never could figure out how to use it right.  I will be watching to see how your dough press works out.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:22:10 PM »
mrmojo1, It is possible that three phase power may be a problem if you are located in a residential area. I would look into that first. There are converters available and that may drive up your cost.
Marty

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:09:24 PM »
mrmojo1, It is possible that three phase power may be a problem if you are located in a residential area. I would look into that first. There are converters available and that may drive up your cost.
Marty

I'm curious about this too. Getting 3-phase service at home is all but impossible. If you want to look at converters, they are called a VFD (Variable Frequency device). A VFD that can handle the wattage of that oven won't be cheap - maybe more than you paid for the oven. It's possible that you won't need one however. If there are no fans or other motors in the oven that run off 3-phase, it might be possible to rewire the oven, and you can always replace 3-phase motors with single phase. Hopefully you will be able to find an electrician that will be willing to take on the liability of modifying the oven. You might contact the manufacturer and see if they offer a conversion kit.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:01:09 PM »
The 3-phase is a complete deal breaker on this mojo.......thought you were gonna wait for suggestions man!   :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:45:38 PM »
CB I have an electrician that just installed the system for a 220v 3phase river pump at my cabin. talked to him and  he can do the same here for my house here wih the oven, already sent him pics and he says no prob.....  there is always a conversion to single phase as some others have done.  I'm not too worried! 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:55:59 PM »
The 3-phase is a complete deal breaker on this mojo.......thought you were gonna wait for suggestions man!   :)
the oven was free, and in working condition.  worst case it's going in my bar someday!

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:12:53 AM »
I must be a dummy but I can't figure this out?  Is it upside down?  Where do you put the pizzas? and what is the Bunn thing in the middle? How tall is it.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:51:39 AM »
it is upside down. strapped to a pallet.  the guy who owned it used it for bread baking.  that was a bun warmer sitting on it.   it's about 5 feet tall probably 4 feet deep.  5ft wide. 

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:11:02 AM »
So that is the front?  What are the 3 sections or doors?

pizzapan