Author Topic: The Blackstone and cold weather......your thoughts??  (Read 438 times)

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
The Blackstone and cold weather......your thoughts??
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
This has probably been discussed before but how about some discussion about using our BS's as we head in to fall and winter. What about firing up a cold soaked BS? Minimum temps? Durability of the stones? Using one in the garage with the doors open? Care and feeding of propane tanks in cold weather? Any and all thoughts appreciated.......

Bob

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: The Blackstone and cold weather......your thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
Last fall/winter (when it wasn't too cold) I made sure that I heated up the stone slowly to start without a big flame hoping that I wouldn't crack the stone by shocking it.  So far so good.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
So it stayed outside Deb? What kind of temps are we talking?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »
Bob,

I made pizza in my Blackstone oven even when it was snowing at Reply 453 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg298183#msg298183 and also when it was cold in January of this year at Reply 421 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg297500#msg297500 Another at Reply 400 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg296118#msg296118  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg296114#msg296114 and there probably were more. 

Like Deb, I just heated up the stone slower then when it is warm.

Norma
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:16:24 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
Thank you so much Norma!

Offline alconnell

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
I live in Maine and used mine all last winter even during snowstorms.  I was just realizing I've had it just over a year, and I must say it is holding up well.  During bitter cold weather, I do heat it slowly, but the stones do get less brittle as they are used more.  There is nothing like bringing a steaming, hot pizza in to serve when the weather outside is frightful!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
So it stayed outside Deb? What kind of temps are we talking?

CT temps, not your temps. Like Norma, some snow doesn't bother me, blizzard conditions would.   In the summer if i'm doing multiple pies I will setup a table and prep outside, not so much in the winter.

I cook on my pellet grill all year long.

Offline skipreid45

• It's always Pizza Night
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
I plan on removing the stones during the winter and storing them inside. Then just reinstalling them when I'm ready for a pie.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
I  am in Virginia, but we had a fair amount of snow last year, and I left my BS with stones in it out all year long, and used it every weekend with no problems.  YMMV.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »
MN, 30-40 below, not even a hiccup. No need to bring the stones in. In very extreme cold sometimes the propane valve can freeze up a bit, usually a couple cracks with a wrench fixes it, only happened to me a few times and I've ran my gas assist smoker for 14 hours at temps of 38 below a couple times. Hot, smoked pork butts taste really good when the weather gets that cold up here!! :drool:

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
I'm up in northern New England and posted these images of our winter (and now year round) set-up. Here's a link to my original post and the ensuing thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28911.0.html

Online Andy42

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:01:30 PM »
Thanks Jackitup and Moosebytes!!   I was wondering what "cold" meant to some but knowing you've been successful in single digits and even below zero, I feel much better.  I been dreading the onset of winter and extreme cold in Minnesota and not being able to use my Blackstone.  So much so that I cooked pizza 3 times in the last week to start making up for it!

Jackitup - are you using the original Blackstone stone?  I think I saw in another thread you might have a different, thicker stone?  I wasn't too worried about bringing the lower stone inside, but the upper will be more work and not enjoyable when 20 below.  It would be nice to know it was the originals that you heated up from those frigid temps. The good news is they've predicted we won't be as cold this winter!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input.......

Bob

pizzapan