Author Topic: Gas vs. Brick wood fired?  (Read 41 times)

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
Gas vs. Brick wood fired?
« on: Today at 01:54:36 PM »
Hello all. I'm a newbie and want to make sure I don't make a mistake. I'm thinking about getting a Blackstone oven based on what I have read here so far. But I'm wondering if you really loose any noticeable taste, or texture quality if you don't use a traditional brick wood fired oven? If the difference is negligible then I will definitely go with the Blackstone, but if the brick oven makes a very noticeably better pizza then I'll spend what I need to for a good brick oven. Thanks for any opinions.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Gas vs. Brick wood fired?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:37:16 PM »
It's an operators ability that matters even more than the oven. Mediocre pizza won't be changed to great pizza simply because of the type of oven it is baked in.  So what you need to decide is what you want to invest in, based on were you are with your product.  I've seen some stunning pizza coming out of electric, gas and wood ovens on this forum.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Totally agree that skill level is the most important factor in anything. But all things being equal with an experienced chef, is the taste of a brick oven pizza appreciably better than pizza from a Blackstone?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:30:52 PM »
Marty, heat is heat, no matter how you get it. Oven design difference is more impact full than heat source, IMO.
At pizza expo competition is done using gas powered ovens that look like WFOs. Mighty fine tasting pies are made.
I love using my WFO in part because of the whole wood experience.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles