Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 328474 times)

Cyondil and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1300 on: July 18, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
All this talk about damages ovens is somewhat disheartening. I may as well start working on my email to customer service.

Dear Black Stone Pizza Oven People:

I'm not always hungry enough to tuck into a 15-inch pizza so I canít tell you how much I appreciate the selection of different sizes my pizza stone was pre-separated into. Now, depending on my appetite I can make a tasty 3-inch appetizer pizza all the way up to a hearty 6-inch gut buster.
Dang Jay...you sure are gonna have a lot of choices.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1301 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
Dear Black Stone Pizza Oven People:

I'm not always hungry enough to tuck into a 15-inch pizza so I canít tell you how much I appreciate the selection of different sizes my pizza stone was pre-separated into. Now, depending on my appetite I can make a tasty 3-inch appetizer pizza all the way up to a hearty 6-inch gut buster.

Dear Jay:

Thank you for your email. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the many exciting features of your Blakstone oven. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any additional assistance in the future.

The Blackstone team
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:45:22 AM by slybarman »

Offline redox

« Reply #1302 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
Dang Jay...you sure are gonna have a lot of choices.  8)
I believe in being prepared. I've got a blacksmith on standby. (Thanks, Google!)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1303 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
« Reply #1304 on: July 18, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »
I think that is too expensive and i don't like the look.  And electric?  I don't know. 

I prefer my charcoal Weber (which is about 20 years old now).  I love the smell and taste you get from grilling pizza.  Done right there is nothing else like it. I have tried grilling pizza many ways.  It is not as easy as it seems.  And I grill all the time. I have grilled almost everything imaginable.   

But for some reason when grilling pizza I burn the bottom without cooking the top.  But in my last attempt, I was able to evenly (for the most part) grill the pizza.  I used lump charcoal and then put a quarter cut log in with the burning charcoal to create a flame.  I put my FibraMent D stone on the grill, which I really like because you can get the stone super hot and it is made from the same material you find in commercial pizza ovens.  I found that when I used less charcoal and more wood, the fire was less intense and more controlled. 

I think next time, I am going to sandwich to stones together and see how that works.  Maybe I will add some pictures too.
For the Love of Pizza

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1305 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
But for some reason when grilling pizza I burn the bottom without cooking the top. 

. . . which is why grills are not always the best choice unless really modded quite a bit.

Offline redox

« Reply #1306 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »

Dear Jay:

Thank you for your email. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the many exciting features of your Blakstone oven. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any additional assistance in the future.

The Blackstone team
Heh, heh, yeah that's how I'd handle it if someone sent me a snarky email like that.  ;)
I'm just hoping that mine won't arrive looking like it was used as a training device for the caber toss at the Scottish Highland Games

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1307 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Mine was shipped from Utah to Virginia,  took about 10 days and the box looked a little beat up, but neither stone was cracked. They did not put the stones in a cardboard box, but put them in place in the oven, and put in some squares of foam and then snugged in place with tape so they couldn't move around.  I did had a crimp in one end of a leg, but no problem fixing that.

Offline redox

« Reply #1308 on: July 18, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Mine was shipped from Utah to Virginia,  took about 10 days and the box looked a little beat up, but neither stone was cracked. They did not put the stones in a cardboard box, but put them in place in the oven, and put in some squares of foam and then snugged in place with tape so they couldn't move around.  I did had a crimp in one end of a leg, but no problem fixing that.
A lot of people here complain about UPS handling but my experience with them here has been very good (hear that UPS?).
When the dog starts barking I'll run out to the curb with my two wheel hand truck to lend a hand. We're near the end of the route and they usually arrive between 4:30 to 5 PM so I can be ready.

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1309 on: July 18, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
:) Well it goes like that... LBE breaks. I take a few months off from obsessive pizza making, then I get on the forum and I find about BS, which I bought the following day.

Now waiting is just painful especially since I had a BBQ planned for Sunday from a few weeks ago, which I had promptly converted into a BS pizza party.

I wish there was a store where people could just go and buy the damn thing...

I ordered one on Tues. they are saying it will reach me on this coming Tues. Smoke up a butt or two, that will take up 12-14 hours of waiting time. ;)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1310 on: July 18, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
The bushing temperature is approximately 200F during neo bakes so most any grease should do.  The I measured the underside plate temperature with the flame on high and the cooking stone at 865F.  So plus or minus a smidge, the bushing shouldn't get much hotter than the plate.
Dave

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1311 on: July 18, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
The bushing temperature is approximately 200F during neo bakes so most any grease should do.  The I measured the underside plate temperature with the flame on high and the cooking stone at 865F.  So plus or minus a smidge, the bushing shouldn't get much hotter than the plate.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Mine came with grease on it. Today I adjusted the collar down the shaft 3/4" to raise the stone higher. Before reinstalling the motor I checked and the platter spun very easily. I've not had one instance that caused the motor to stop spinning. (though I've only done 2 pies so far)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1312 on: July 18, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
Dave
The plate was 865?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1313 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:33 AM »
When the paint starts coming off after 90 days, is when the fun really beginsÖ custom painted Blackstones! I can visualize some with painted flames licking up the sides or painted in Italian flag colors., maybe even a white and black Acunto-look paint scheme. Those with the time could paint hundreds of 1-inch tiles with their name highlighted in front. The possibilities are endless.

I was thinking about leaving mine out (under a cover of course) during the winter, not so sure about that idea now.

Jim

This is the best idea I've ever heard and as much as I like being original, I will be doing it.. The tiled version.

You're a damned genius!

iRobertO

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1314 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
The plate was 865?

OOPs! Edit - I just looked again at the underside and realized I measured the lower plate with the bearing, not the upper plate with the bushing!  I'll be making another pie tonight, and will quickly shut off the flame to spot the temperature of the bushing plate.
=

C.Bob - To be more accurate, the underside of the metal plate that goes across the inside of the grill and holds the bushing was 200F.  The pizza stone was 865F.

As I thought about it overnight night, that bushing could be a bit over 200F as it receives heat conducted down the drive shaft.  I'll need a bit more courage to aim that IR Gun down into the shaft with that blow torch roaring.  (Ok, I'll just turn the flame down for the reading, assuming I can even hit that spot with the gun.)

In sum, this is a great science effort, but for those just wanting to know the answer: "the bushing doesn't get very hot".

Dave
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:04:27 PM by Tampa »

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1315 on: July 19, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
Couple rookie questions guys...

1.  Just got my unit on Tuesday.  No broken, bent or setup issues.  I have a redtop 10 PSI regulator that has a control knob on it (red).  Do I crank that think all the way up?

2.  I decided to test it and it got to 475, then there was a metalish smell and the bracket that holds the side metal cover was glowing hot so I shut it off before I fried anything.  The flame goes right over that bracket on the right hand side.

Can anyone comment on anything I am doing wrong?  I'm assuming that I need to crank that red top regular to get the heat higher but before I blow myself up I'd like to find out the real deal.

Thanks in advance.
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1316 on: July 19, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Red knob: back off one full turn from fully open. Yes that bracket glows a nice bright red. You're doing everything correct. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1317 on: July 19, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
You are doing it right,  I had the same results, and plan to cut off the middle part of the bracket tomorrow, it seems like in its current position it deflects some of the heat over the top of the top stone, instead of under, and I think the remaining parts should hold the heat shield in place.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1318 on: July 19, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
I noticed that they are back in stock on Cabela's website.  On sale for 359.99   

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #1319 on: July 19, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks guys, at least I know I'm not crazy.  Anyone else cut off that bracket or will we be the first guinea pigs?  I have to assume everyone's bracket is in the same spot and glows like ours.
Polack trying to make pizza

pizzapan