Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 345944 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1360 on: July 20, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Norma, I would bring a roll of packing tape and open the box there.  Just tell them you want to check the stones since you've heard the stones are thin and can break easily.  If they are broken, then you've saved yourself a trip.  If not then just retape and take your baby home. 

Chau
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:31:25 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1361 on: July 20, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
Deb,

Thanks for posting that Cabela's has the Blackstone Pizza Ovens on sale for 359.00.  ;)

Norma

your welcome, can't wait to see your experiments.   mine arrives on Tuesday, hopefully unbroken

Offline redox

« Reply #1362 on: July 20, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Oh, if this thread is more about the oven than the pies you can have Peter move the pics to the NY thread.

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1363 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
Here is the result of my first firing of my BS. This is an unmodified firing with the exception of the thrust bearing. My collar is on the top like the assembly video shows it. The biggest issues I had was the brain dead moment I had in my dough prep that caused it to develop a skin over the top while in the fridge. I know the cause and the solution to that. I did this without the modifications because I wanted to see the results from an unmodified oven then I would make one mod at a time to see how it works for my dough formula. The one thing I will say is the bake time was real fast at about 90 seconds. I wasn't able to time it due to the fact that despite what I read about the bake speed on here I was caught of guard by it and focused on watching the pie. The formula for the dough is

For Poolish:

1 1/2 C Bread Flour
1 1/3 C Room temp water
1 tsp IDY

Mix flour and yeast together in bowl, add water, mix well, cover with plastic and let ferment at
room temp for 4 to 5 Hrs.

For dough:
All the poolish.
1 1/2 C to 1 3/4 C bread flour.
1 Tbsp Barley malt syrup or Honey.
1 tsp IDY.
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt or 1 tsp table salt.

Method:

Put poolish in mixer bowl.
Add barley malt syrup or honey.
Add IDY.
Mix till blended well.

Add 1 1/2 C flour and Salt and mix well at low speed.
Gradually add flour a little at a time with mixer running at speed 2 or so.
What you are looking for is, for your dough to clear the sides of the
bowl, but not the bottom. When this happens, no more flour.

Knead at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Dough should freely drop off
dough hook. (almost run)

This is a very loose (high hydration) dough. Bill, SNFM has posted a video on
YouTube on dough handling, my dough appears almost identical to his.
You can find a link to it under "Neapolitan" section.

Ball into 2 balls and put in fridge for 28hrs.

The first 3 photos are from the first pie bottom stone temp was 745 and top stone was 900

The last two pics are from the second pie, bottom stone temp was 855 and top was 980
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1364 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
Redox - crumb looks good.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1365 on: July 20, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »
Norma, I would bring a roll of packing tape and open the box there.  Just tell them you want to check the stones since you've heard the stones are thin and can break easily.  If they are broken, then you've saved yourself a trip.  If not then just retape and take your baby home. 

Chau

Chau,

Thanks, I will unpack and see how the stones are.  I don't want to have to make a trip back.  That would take a couple of hours.

Norma

your welcome, can't wait to see your experiments.   mine arrives on Tuesday, hopefully unbroken

Deb,

Good to hear your BS arrives Tuesday.  I hope it arrives okay and in good shape.  I probably won't make any experiments until next weekend.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1366 on: July 20, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
 I took another photo showing the piece I added to the heat shield where I cut off the bracket - as you can see it is glowing.  Made a few pies tonight, pretty happy with the results.   The first one, I did not get enough heat to the rim, so I moved the two heat deflectors together with a steel bbq tool, and on the next one, got a better rim heat,  the pie on the left is the second one, it is a white pie with mushrooms - the mushrooms overwhelmed the cheese, so it isn't a keeper.  Used Scott's stainless steel washers as an air gap, and the bottom of the crusts came out great.  The pies are 100% whole wheat,   60 % white wheat  40 % red wheat.

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1367 on: July 20, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »
Redox - crumb looks good.

I agree, those pies look like they tasted real good.  :)
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #1368 on: July 20, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Cabelas is sold out again.

Does anyone know any other chain stores that carry them? 

Offline jgerardi

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven Extension to Heat Shield
« Reply #1369 on: July 20, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
Barry, what would you think about adding a little metal pocket above the burner where you could put in some damp wood chips to get a wood fire aroma?  I've been thinking that might be a nice addition.

TinRoof, I was thinking about wraping some wood chips in foil and placing the packet right in the middle of the burner.  Not sure if the dough will pick up any smoke flavor in su h a short cook period. John
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1370 on: July 20, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
Cabelas is sold out again.

Does anyone know any other chain stores that carry them?

I don't understand, why are people so set on getting them from Cabelas? Just buy straight from the manufacturer and save money.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1371 on: July 20, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
TinRoof, I was thinking about wraping some wood chips in foil and placing the packet right in the middle of the burner.  Not sure if the dough will pick up any smoke flavor in su h a short cook period. John

That flame is hotter than the melting point of foil I would bet.

Offline jgerardi

« Reply #1372 on: July 20, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
That flame is hotter than the melting point of foil I would bet.

It might be interesting to try.  Its been a while, but I have done the same thing placing the foil directly on a burner in my gas grill.  I don't remember how the foil held up.  However, If I understood Jackie correctly, the smoke won't add much flavor with the quick cook times.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1373 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »
It might be interesting to try.  Its been a while, but I have done the same thing placing the foil directly on a burner in my gas grill.  I don't remember how the foil held up.  However, If I understood Jackie correctly, the smoke won't add much flavor with the quick cook times.

Maybe, foil melts at 1220F. The blackstone gets much hotter than a gas grill. Also I agree about the smoke flavor- I was the one who posted that first :-D

Offline jgerardi

« Reply #1374 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Maybe, foil melts at 1220F. The blackstone gets much hotterr than a gas grill. Also I agree about the smoke flavor- I was the one who posted that first :-D

Jeffery, thanks for the info on melting temp of foil, this is really out of my area.of knowledge.  I was just trying to find out if this method may be possible. I appreciate you taking the time to post an explanation.  Also my bad, I did see your post regarding smoke flavor. :-X Thanks again, John

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1375 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
Jeffery, thanks for the info on melting temp of foil, this is really out of my area.of knowledge.  I was just trying to find out if this method may be possible. I appreciate you taking the time to post an explanation.  Also my bad, I did see your post regarding smoke flavor. :-X Thanks again, John

No problem. You're always welcome to come over and mess around with the BS at my house too. I live where the 10 and the 15 meet. So not very far.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1376 on: July 20, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
Anyone hungry? My cousin is coming over and we are going to put some time in with the BS. I have 9 balls almost ready and I think he is bringing 5... only it's just us as far as I can tell.

You know what they say I guess.. practice makes you fat!

iRobertO

Offline jgerardi

« Reply #1377 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »
No problem. You're always welcome to come over and mess around with the BS at my house too. I live where the 10 and the 15 meet. So not very far.

Not far at all and sounds like fun. I remember in a prior post you suggested a CA Pizza Summit , seems to me there are a few of us that may be interested.  If there is a way to organize something like this, it would probably be bigger than the Texas event   :o

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1378 on: July 20, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
Not far at all and sounds like fun. I remember in a prior post you suggested a CA Pizza Summit , seems to me there are a few of us that may be interested.  If there is a way to organize something like this, it would probably be bigger than the Texas event   :o

Ya if we could get 2-3 more people and 1 person to bring their BS so we'd have two I think it would be great. And it would definitely be better than the Texas Summit because the BS >>> Acunto everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.  :-D

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1379 on: July 21, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
I don't understand, why are people so set on getting them from Cabelas? Just buy straight from the manufacturer and save money.

they were just on sale from Cabelas $10 cheaper than griddle guru