Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 346299 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1380 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:21 AM »
. . . And it means a trip to the Cabelas store - which is an experience.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1381 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Barryvabeach Thanks for sharing your photos.  Most importantly, the pies do look good!

Id like to comment on the flame photo.  First, a safety thing you mentioned that the deflector on the far right-hand-side is (red arrow) is made from very thin gutter shield and it may not have helped much.  If so, maybe you would consider removing it.  It seems to me that the heat flow from the torch is predominately upward toward the deflectors you have in place, across the upper stone, and down the left side and/or out the front.  If so, then more hot air likely comes from the left side and upper area of the oven opening.  By contrast, on the right side where the gutter shield is, there is likely to be radiated heat which isnt hand friendly either, which brings me to my second point.  Gutter materials are likely aluminum or galvanized steel because neither material rusts, and neither material is oven-flame friendly.  Galvanized means zinc and that has been posted on before.  Aluminum has also been posted on especially in a flame area where it may disintegrate over time (and AL molecules doesnt add to the flavor ;D).

What is causing the irregular flame since red-hot bracket section has been cut away?  The green arrow points to what looks like a well-defined line where the flame gets (Im guessing here) backed up and billows toward the right gutter deflector.  Nothing I see in earlier pictures suggests why there would be a line between the red flame and black shroud.  Im also confused by that yellow flame highlighted by the yellow arrow.  Maybe it is the screw below holding the shield extension?

Common sense suggests that what we are looking for on the right side is a roaring, but smooth and unencumbered flame, which rises along the side wall and then gets deflected over the pizza toward the left by the upper stone.  That is what happens naturally in the venerable WFO and in gas fired ovens, such as Wood Stone Oven, shown below.

Dave

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #1382 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
sausage, scallions, mushrooms and homemade mozz and prov, 90 seconds. Pepperoni, scallions, gr pepper, 90 seconds, 2 plain crust brushed with olive oil butter garlic mix with extra pizza seasonings took 30 seconds each. VPN formula at 58%, finding it more forgiving with the SI 00 flour. Bulk in cooler with ice at 55-65 degrees for 8 hours, balled in cooler for 8, and room temp for 4-5. Pics attached, off to bed for TOOO short of a nap now, them nurses better be nice to me tonight :-D :-D :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1383 on: July 21, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
Dave, thanks for your points.  The gutter material is a shield that is very thin stainless,  like a gutter guard -  I am pretty good at keeping zinc, galvanized, and aluminum away from this oven.  The red area is the top of the patch that I put in, which is a heavy duty stainless steel cut off from a door kick plate.  As Chau suggested, I will be moving it up a few inches.  When you look at the design,  the heat shield has an angle heading in to the top center.  As you raise the stone, you cut the area for the flow of flames and heat around the edge of the stone.  The solid red area, IMHO, is where the flames are heading up, and hitting the underside of the stone, and then travelling out to go up and around the stone, through a very small area.   One way to try to address this is to try to reshape the heat shield a bit by bending it in this area so it gives more room to allow the gas and heat to go up and around the stone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1384 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
Just for fun I wonder if anyone would want to set a tin can(the same diameter)on top of the burner. The burner looks like it has a nice little lip on it where the can could sit. Maybe smash/pince the top of the can to form different flame flow profiles.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1385 on: July 21, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
Barryvabeach great, Im really glad you are using stainless.  If I understand your message correctly, we are exactly in the same space. 

As you say, it may make sense to bend that heat shield to give more room for the flame.  Im a fan.  Im just not sure what to expect.  On one hand, the flame should be more free flowing, on the other hand the flame constriction between the steel plate and side shield likely causes the flame to broaden out thus exposing the crust to a greater heat area.

If you move that red area up a few inches (i.e. green arrow), that puts heat right at pie crust level charring should be really quick.  (Maybe dial down the gas flow.)

C.Bob good future suggestion, IMO.  That is going to be one hot can.  BTW, Did you get yours yet?

The tough thing for me is that the Blackstone oven makes such good pie out of the box that you almost dont want to mess with it.  Going forward, I think owners are going to want a list of modifications to consider, maybe in priority order, which helps them create the style of pizza that they like.  It will take time before innovators and collaborators can flesh out the various modifications and understand their impact.  As it stands, my favorite mod is cutting the support bracket.  I see no value in that angle iron getting red hot and blocking the flame under the stone.  Second (IMO) is a heat deflector above.  Im still not sure about putting washer/spacers between the steel tray and stone because, in my experience with the rotisserie pizza grill (RPG), the stone temperature is set it and forget it meaning pick a launch temperature (850F for double zero/neo style pie), launch the pie, then fiddle the flame for even cooking of the upper surface.  I love how the BS steel rotisserie base plate evenly heats the stone (much better than my old RPG).
Dave

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1386 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
So, who wants a laugh?

Griddle guru sent me out yet another stone. Guess what? Packaged EXACTLY the same as the first. Care to guess what the result was? What is that saying about the definition of insanity?

If you are keeping count - that makes three broken stones.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1387 on: July 21, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
wow, that's not even bubble wrap is it, not that it would probably make a difference

Offline deloscobos

• Instagram
« Reply #1388 on: July 21, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
I have requested 3 replacements since I got my BS, all arrived packaged the same way, all of them arrived broken. I'll keep ordering replacements until I finally get one in one piece.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1389 on: July 21, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »
wow, that's not even bubble wrap is it, not that it would probably make a difference

It was bubble wrap and plastic wrap, but as you said . . . no matter.

Offline italdream

« Reply #1390 on: July 21, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
I will hopefully get mine tomorrow and I am prepared to find all sort of damages (or perhaps to be pleasantly surprised, and find none).

Anyway, so many broken stones triggered a question. Of all the mods that we are proposing, why not try a different stone?
I mean, isn't the stone such an important element, (especially considering that there is various thickness, heat conductivity etc.) that it would be worth experimenting with?. 2stone oven, for example, has a noticeably thicker stone.

If my reasoning is correct, my questions (to chau, scott, chicago and all others) is: would a high quality substitute bottom stone for the BS increase the result. If so which stone would you think? In my case, I am especially interested in finding a stone that would enhance the NP experience in the BS.

It looks like with all the things we talked in this thread, a substitute stone has not been discussed adequately.

Offline redox

« Reply #1391 on: July 21, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Did UPS not see "FRAGI-LEY" on the package?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1392 on: July 21, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
Did UPS not see "FRAGI-LEY" on the package?

LOL - Kotulas has those lamps for sale in their catalog.

Offline redox

« Reply #1393 on: July 21, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
LOL - Kotulas has those lamps for sale in their catalog.
On the street next to mine, someone puts a "leg lamp" in their front window every Christmas season.  :D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1394 on: July 21, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
I will hopefully get mine tomorrow and I am prepared to find all sort of damages (or perhaps to be pleasantly surprised, and find none).

Anyway, so many broken stones triggered a question. Of all the mods that we are proposing, why not try a different stone?
I mean, isn't the stone such an important element, (especially considering that there is various thickness, heat conductivity etc.) that it would be worth experimenting with?. 2stone oven, for example, has a noticeably thicker stone.

If my reasoning is correct, my questions (to chau, scott, chicago and all others) is: would a high quality substitute bottom stone for the BS increase the result. If so which stone would you think? In my case, I am especially interested in finding a stone that would enhance the NP experience in the BS.

It looks like with all the things we talked in this thread, a substitute stone has not been discussed adequately.

The reason no one has said to use a different stone is because the stone that is currently in place is about perfect for it. Most of the times on the forum when people are getting different stones or steel it is to increase conductivity to achieve more bottom browning. The suggestion right now is to add spacers to decrease bottom browning. So the two ideas are opposite. I guess people could look into getting lower conductivity stones, but why?

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
« Reply #1395 on: July 21, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
So is it a cheap pizza stone from China?  And isn't the idea to get a stone that will be able to get hot (about 800 degrees F).  What does your pizza oven get up to?
For the Love of Pizza

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1396 on: July 21, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
DSW - Jeff is right.  This thread already discussed the stone and there is lots more elsewhere in the forum regarding various surface types (steel, soapstone, fibrament, cordierite, firebrick, etc.) and their conductivity and other material properties.  Search is your friend.

The short answer is that this stone has relatively poor conductivity when compared with standard cordierite stones which is viewed as good thing when cooking at high temperatures.
Dave

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1397 on: July 21, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
So is it a cheap pizza stone from China?  And isn't the idea to get a stone that will be able to get hot (about 800 degrees F).  What does your pizza oven get up to?

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. With the current stone you can go over 900.

Offline italdream

« Reply #1398 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Search is your friend.

Sounds like a snark. I read the thread and abundantly participated in the discussion - must have missed that part. Sorry...
Anyway, I see that the consensus so far is that the stone is already perfect for it. Shipping and packaging aside, still seems very fragile to me, so at least quality-wise it might have one or two issues.
I am not advocating for a substitute, considering that I do not have my BS yet, and it is premature for me to have an opinion. But from what I read, I am starting to sense that some better stone may be out there. If factory stone breaks so easily and has quality issues, I expect that with increase usage from forum members we will see more stone breaks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:56:17 PM by italdream »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #1399 on: July 21, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
If factory stone breaks so easily and has quality issues, I expect that with increase usage from forum members we will see more stone breaks.

I don't think the two necessarily equate because the cause of breakage for these stones is in no part of the baking process. I mean if you are planning on doing catering with the oven and it will be in the back of trucks and stuff then ya, I would say it may need a sturdier stone. But for the backyard, I don't see it breaking unless you fire it up to full blast in freezing temps.