Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 225534 times)

Bobino414, rob1234 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1460 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »

I told my husband I ordered one after it was 1/2 way here.
...you little  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1461 on: July 23, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
I set up my oven last night... no pizza yet.

I have the following problem. The rotation of the metal plate is irregular. As the plate rotates, the little space between the main body and the plate varies from about 1 inch to 1/2 inch.

I am using the ball bearing but I had the same problem also without the bearing. I also tried to adjust the collar. I think that the rotating axis is not perfectly straight thus when rotating it is not vertically aligned on a straight line.

We'll see how this will affect the pizza. However, I wanted to document the problem...
You need to perform the 3ft pipe factory spec mod.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:39:10 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline italdream

« Reply #1462 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
Wonderful.  Unfortunately I don't have a readily available 3 ft pipe.

What type of pipe exactly,   I'll head to home depot in the weekend to see if I can find what I need.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1463 on: July 23, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »
Wonderful.  Unfortunately I don't have a readily available 3 ft pipe.

What type of pipe exactly,   I'll head to home depot in the weekend to see if I can find what I need.
Just a regular old piece of black gas pipe, believe HD sells them already cut in 3ft. lengths. If you have a pipe wrench or a big crescent wrench with a hole in the end of the handle that will fit over the plate shaft...that would work too. Anything to grab the shaft and has some leverage to it really. Could prolly even set the plate/shaft on the ground and apply pressure mid way up the shaft with your foot.

ps: did you see post #1201?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:08:04 AM by Chicago Bob »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1464 on: July 23, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »
I guess you would want a pipe with an inside diameter of about 1 inch.  It has to be wide enough diameter to fit over the inverted metal tray shaft (7/8" OD). Set the metal tray upside down on a flat surface so that the shaft is up, put the 3 ft. pipe over the metal tray shaft, and use leverage to align the shaft so it is 90 degrees perpendicular to the tray all the way round.  If successful it should eliminate the wobbly, irregular rotation of the tray.  (Sorry if this seems excessively explained; I'm going to add this explanation to the wiki.)

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline italdream

« Reply #1465 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »
Thank you. Had the same thought about adding this to the wiki.

The mod will have to wait until the weekend. But I am going to test the oven tonight anyway. This would also give me an indication about how the vertical misalignment affects the cooking.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1466 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
A 1/2in ratchet wrench with a deep well socket might be able to get the job done.

Offline redox

« Reply #1467 on: July 23, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »
it's 74 right now  :-D

I told my husband I ordered one after it was 1/2 way here.
I told my wife that I sat on my phone and accidentally butt-ordered a pizza oven. She didn't believe me but she laughed thereby easing her desire to strangle me in my sleep. I used the hot weather, too. Told her that unless she wanted to start cooking again I wasn't going to turn on the kitchen oven till after Indian Summer.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1468 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Attached are some photos showing where I have the extra bearing mounted. I just set the bearing on top of the metal tray shaft hole, then I replaced the tray so that the collar sits directly on top of the bearing. This results in very free and fluid movement of the tray which holds the lower baking stone. Don't forget to grease the bearing before replacing the tray. 

The first photo shows the bearing sitting beside the metal tray shaft hole.
The second photo shows the bearing in place before replacing the metal tray for the lower stone.
The third photo shows the metal tray replaced, with the collar sitting atop the bearing. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1469 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
jgerardi,  could the burning on the underside be burnt dusting flour - or cornmeal?  The deflector is designed to get more heat to the rim and avoid burning the cheese, but it might help for you if you put a little less bend in it, or a longer extension.   The other option is to wait till Scott has his sorted out, he is pretty good at figuring out how to balance top and bottom heat.  Did you put spacers under the bottom stone?

The burning on the underside could be from dusting the peel, good thought...I will look for that next time.  I did put spacers under the bottom stone to raise it off the metal plate.  I might try the deflector just for fun, but your suggestion about waiting for Scott makes a lot of sense.  Thanks Barry V.
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1470 on: July 23, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
I told my wife that I sat on my phone and accidentally butt-ordered a pizza oven.

Very funny!  :-D
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1471 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Attached are some photos showing where I have the extra bearing mounted. I just set the bearing on top of the metal tray shaft hole, then I replaced the tray so that the collar sits directly on top of the bearing. This results in very free and fluid movement of the tray which holds the lower baking stone. Don't forget to grease the bearing before replacing the tray. 

The second photo shows the bearing in place before replacing the metal tray for the lower stone.
The third photo shows the metal tray replaced, with the collar sitting atop the bearing. 

Regards,

TinRoof
Thank you Tin for the nice clear photos. Some very good info for me within those pics.  ;)

Offline redox

« Reply #1472 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
I set up my oven last night... no pizza yet.

I have the following problem. The rotation of the metal plate is irregular. As the plate rotates, the little space between the main body and the plate varies from about 1 inch to 1/2 inch.

I am using the ball bearing but I had the same problem also without the bearing. I also tried to adjust the collar. I think that the rotating axis is not perfectly straight thus when rotating it is not vertically aligned on a straight line.

We'll see how this will affect the pizza. However, I wanted to document the problem...
After installing a closet organizer, I had the former coat hanger rod and used a section of that to straighten my plate. The rod wasn't very heavy duty and it still worked fine for the purpose.

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1473 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
Received my BC oven today, the box looked like UPS dragged it across country :o I opened it up and and could see that the foam had done it's job. I took out enough pieces so I could check the stones, to my surprise they were not broken ;D then repacked it so it can make the trip to FL. in oct. Will be following this thread closely to pick up any ideas for when I put it together.

Offline redox

« Reply #1474 on: July 23, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »

Regards,

TinRoof
This seems like a very good idea so I just ordered one from Amazon.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1475 on: July 23, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
This seems like a very good idea so I just ordered one from Amazon.
Oooooo....I'm tell'in!  :P

Offline redox

« Reply #1476 on: July 23, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
Oooooo....I'm tell'in!  :P
What? I've lost my bearings!

Offline redox

« Reply #1477 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
So far, I'm pretty satisfied with my BS oven, of course, I only bought it to heat up soup during the summer.  :angel:

Offline skarecrow31

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1478 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi All,  I received my Blackstone last week and put it together on Saturday adding the bearing. I made some dough using GlutenBoy's recipe but couldn't wait the three days to ferment so I made some NY style emergency dough so I could try out the oven. WOW this oven rocks, this was my first attempt at making dough and this was the best Margarita pizza I have ever had. I can already tell I am going to be gaining some major weight. I cooked 4 pizzas between 3 and 5 minutes each. The results were consistant. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. I can't wait to make the next batch. Here is a pick of my first pie.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1479 on: July 23, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
Hi All,  I received my Blackstone last week and put it together on Saturday adding the bearing. I made some dough using GlutenBoy's recipe but couldn't wait the three days to ferment so I made some NY style emergency dough so I could try out the oven. WOW this oven rocks, this was my first attempt at making dough and this was the best Margarita pizza I have ever had. I can already tell I am going to be gaining some major weight. I cooked 4 pizzas between 3 and 5 minutes each. The results were consistant. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. I can't wait to make the next batch. Here is a pick of my first pie.
Dang skarecrow, you are skaring me with those results....an from a same day dough too?!  ??? Jeez,  I can see you are going to be wicked on this machine.  :chef: