Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 288917 times)

nythincrust11, johnnytex, skipreid45, norma427 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1920 on: August 03, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
It's a blatant rip-off of the 2-Stone man.  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1921 on: August 03, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
As in a wood fired oven.I cook with the fire on the side and rotate the pizza its what we call  keep the flame licking  the dome :P the rotation is done by the blackstone  pretty slick and effortless!
In my opinion a critacal part of WFO pizza the side flame imitates this action right ? The little bracket (front to back L) sure does get RED  hot after being vlasted by the flame!. I am  scared its gonna melt ! what the fix there ? flame deflector? or just let it go ?
what are people cleaning the stone with ?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1922 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
It's a blatant rip-off of the 2-Stone man.  ::)

Not blatant.  Similar or same concept, different execution.   2stones flame is in the back, BS to the side.  I'm not sure the 2stone uses the same heat shield.  Different steel plate as well.  I would say BS may have borrowed a few design cues, but I'm not seeing rip off.  They may have even improved the mouse trap.  But let's not start an oven war here. 

John some folks are cutting that bracket off.  Others are just using it as is.  I scrape the stone with my metal peel and wipe it down with a wet rag.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:40:42 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline italdream

« Reply #1923 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
what are people cleaning the stone with ?

Just flip the stone before next cooking. The bottom side will come clean as new...

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1924 on: August 03, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Not blatant.  Similar or same concept, different execution.   2stones flame is in the back, BS to the side.  I'm not sure the 2stone uses the same heat shield.  Different steel plate as well.  I would say BS may have borrowed a few design cues, but I'm not seeing rip off.  They may have even improved the mouse trap.  But let's not start an oven war here. 

John some folks are cutting that bracket off.  Others are just using it as is.  I scrape the stone with my metal peel and wipe it down with a wet rag.
Hey Chau, facing your BS grill turn it 90 degrees and the flame will be coming from the back!  :-D

And yes, you're right...the grill war thing has been done to death.  ;)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1925 on: August 03, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
Just flip the stone before next cooking. The bottom side will come clean as new...
I think we're not used to being able to work with something so nice and simple....great tip italdream.  :chef:

Offline italdream

« Reply #1926 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
Not a ripoff IMHO. For one, the patent part was discussed abundantly back a few months ago.
One cannot have exclusivity on the general idea of a propane tank oven, the same as one cannot have exclusivity on building a car. The implementation is vastly different.
2stone jacked up the price year after year to a whooping $2K+

I wrote a post on this some time ago:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg265936/topicseen.html#msg265936

I think that if 2stone were smart, they would have built entry level models, instead of launching a price increase race against themselves.
Competition is not by itself a synonym of ripoff. 2stone just had no competitor before, and now they have one that is kicking strong.
Actually, giving the significant price difference, they are not even competitors, just on two different planets.

Add that my BS is already getting a bit rusty, so quality was obviously sacrificed on the altar of cheap Chinese manufacturing and low production cost. But nothing that cannot be fixes with some high temperature spray paint.

Edit: Guys, not trying to start the war again. Just wanted to get it out. I would have loved a 2stone a couple of years ago (when I was fighting with LBE and all) at a $500 price point. I knew it was not fantasy, instead 2stone was going up and up and up....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:21:16 AM by italdream »

Offline italdream

« Reply #1927 on: August 03, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
I think we're not used to being able to work with something so nice and simple....great tip italdream.  :chef:

My pleasure Cbob. I learned from somebody else and tested it a few times. Works like a charm.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1928 on: August 03, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Not a ripoff IMHO. For one, the patent part was discussed abundantly back a few months ago.
One cannot have exclusivity on the general idea of a propane tank oven, the same as one cannot have exclusivity on building a car. The implementation is vastly different.
2stone jacked up the price year after year to a whooping $2K+

I wrote a post on this some time ago:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg265936/topicseen.html#msg265936

I think that if 2stone were smart, they would have built entry level models, instead of launching a price increase race against themselves.
Competition is not by itself a synonym of ripoff. 2stone just had no competitor before, and now they have one that is kicking strong.
Actually, giving the significant price difference, they are not even competitors, just on two different planets.

Add that my BS is already getting a bit rusty, so quality was obviously sacrificed on the altar of cheap Chinese manufacturing and low production cost. But nothing that cannot be fixes with some high temperature spray paint.
Well, you're going to have some trade offs given BS price point but many folks are saying it is made heavier/stronger than they thought it would be. And some guys have already been pushing a lot of pies through the grill with awesome results. Great little fun oven.  :chef:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:28:44 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline italdream

« Reply #1929 on: August 03, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »
If someone can advise on some high temperature paint, I would appreciate. At some point, I would like to do some tacky combination of Italian flag colors and other stuff.

Offline redox

« Reply #1930 on: August 03, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
I love pizza but I'm not nearly as obsessed as some on this site. I would never buy a 2stone. I might dream about winning one in a contest but I'd never buy one. Just like I would never buy a Bentley. So for me the analogy is pretty simple.
Blackstone Oven : 2stone :: Volkswagen : Bentley
I'm very happy with my “People’s Oven”.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1931 on: August 03, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
If someone can advise on some high temperature paint, I would appreciate. At some point, I would like to do some tacky combination of Italian flag colors and other stuff.

Engine paint comes in lots of colors and withstands 650 degrees. Measure the dome temp.

Stove paint goes as high as 1400 degrees but limited colors (black)

Flames would be pretty cool also! Giving me ideas. Thanks!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1932 on: August 03, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Eight colors…

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/XTC.html

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline jgerardi

• Learning to make pizza....
« Reply #1933 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »

TxCraig1 suggested Rust-Oleum in this earlier post.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg266571/topicseen.html#msg266571
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Wrong Again
« Reply #1934 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
I’ve been really looking forward to sticking it to the piehead that wrote ‘radiation from the upper stone really isn’t a factor in baking a pizza’.  I turns out that radiation is a big factor and I’ve got pictures to prove it.  Unfortunately that piehead is me, but in the interest of pizza science and good fun, I’m not going to be denied.

The photos below show what happens if you load a stone-cold oven with Wonderbread, then, with rotisserie off, ignite the burner and wait one minute.  Slices get pretty toasty near the flame and decrease in color from the flame toward the left-front of the oven.  Note that the rear-left of the oven and forward center-to-right  section of the oven do not show much browning, hence less heat flow.  (It’s a good thing Blackstone added a rotisserie.)  The overhead stone isn’t likely a factor here, since the stone starts out at ambient temperature and doesn’t heat up much in one minute’s time.  Hence the dominant heat making toast is likely convection.  Piehead expected that.

The last photo may be a surprise to some.  In this, the second case, the oven was heated up full blast until the upper stone was 900F.  Then the flame was snuffed out and a slice of bread was placed center stone.  One minute later, that slice is pretty toasty as well.  Piehead didn’t see that coming.

I think this is a reasonable way to visualize what is happening inside a standard, unmodified Blackstone oven.  One can assume that the combination of flame-thrower convection, and overhead radiation, work together to cook a pie in short order.  Comparing the center-most slice during convection to the lone slice subject to radiation, one might say that the coloration is comparable.  As a rule-of-thumb, it seems that both modes of heat transfer contribute somewhat equally in baking the pie.

Online Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1935 on: August 03, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
right out da box NO Mods! did mess with the control a bit up when started di quick to pies Bottoms were spot on will take some getting usedto to dial in and need to get a starter going now I guess for the challenge I will say this
Leftovers dont stand a chance now ! YUM E !

Crikey John, those are GREAT lookin pies!

John K

Offline scott123

« Reply #1936 on: August 03, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
I’ve been really looking forward to sticking it to the piehead that wrote ‘radiation from the upper stone really isn’t a factor in baking a pizza’.

Dave, you've completely removed all the fun out of being able to say "I told you so"  :-D

What you perceive as convection-based impact isn't really convection, it's radiation impact from the flame.  If it was convection, since the hot air is flowing out the front of the oven, you'd see a much greater impact on the front of the bread, which you don't.

The second picture (IR from pre-heated stone) seems to support my cold side top stone impact hypothesis.  The side opposite the flame may not hit 900 on a full pre-heat, but will be close, and it will have some impact, as you can see from the browning on the toast.

Great experiment, btw.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1937 on: August 03, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Cool experiment Tampa.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1938 on: August 03, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
Not knowing the 2Stone legacy, I'm glad the BS has allowed many of us to fast track the pizza making experience. It was a bit of an "us and them" but just a month ago. Now many of us that had our noses pressed up against the glass can be part of an experience, if not a growing community of creative cooking and sharing group.

Offline italdream

« Reply #1939 on: August 03, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
New batch tonight with quick 2.5h dough. Quick rise meant less blistering/leoparding than usual but still very very tasty.

My wife says no pizza for at least a week...

pizzapan