Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 498860 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #1900 on: August 02, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
I will check.  I am sure it's just user error.  Come to think of it, I think you can.  I usually turn the dial between "min" and "max".  I think to turn it off, I probably would have to push it in and turn it pass one or the other.  I was just not use to turning the oven off that way and when I turn it to minimum, there is still a small flame.  Sorry for the confusion guys.
Don't scare me like that Chau.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #1901 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Made a couple of small pies for us tonight from P. Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan dough. Three days in the fridge and into a 700 oven. I'm not smooth at this yet so again I forgot to time the bake. A few pics of the 2 pies.
My wife said the second pie was the best one I've ever made. At least I'm getting better and not worse. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:56:31 PM by redox »

Offline communist

« Reply #1902 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »
Nice pies redox

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1903 on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »
I believe I BELIEVE ~ ! WOW !! I put this gizmo together yesterday, and gave it a whirl tonight ! I am totally impressed ! No mods
14min heat up around 825 on the bottom stone
was eating neapolitan pie within 16 minutes of lighting this bad boy !  ;D
Handcrushed a can of tomatoes chunked up some fresh mozz. and picked some of the Craigs basil while heating up Whamo instant pizzas what a Joy! anyone thinking about jumping in DO IT !
Here we go Heat up , ingredients ready to rock and bingo finished pie around 75- seconds YES!
by the way for about  $1 a can at my local farmers market these tomatoes were extremely good !
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:30:21 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline italdream

« Reply #1904 on: August 02, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
Many apologies for the quality of the pictures, courtesy of my wife. Anyway, those are some of tonight's pizzas.

I changed a few things from my usual process. First, I tried to get a puffier cornicione, which I do not necessarily like visually but sometimes enjoy  texturewise.
Second, I implemented my version of a chau-flector.

All in all, the BS is such a blast to work with. It feels like an energy efficient, fast start WFO...

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1905 on: August 02, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
oh yeah the pizza  :pizza:
amazing !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:27:22 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1906 on: August 02, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »
right out da box NO Mods! did mess with the control a bit up when started di quick to pies Bottoms were spot on will take some getting usedto to dial in and need to get a starter going now I guess for the challenge I will say this
Leftovers dont stand a chance now ! YUM E !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:13:15 PM by JConk007 »

Offline communist

« Reply #1907 on: August 02, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
Excellent pies John & Italdream!   Mark

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #1908 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
John, can you compare these pies to your wfo pies?

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1909 on: August 03, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »
Very Close Chau, Very Close I was so thrilled with the simplicity. Ididnt really focus on taste ? I will do a side by side, Hey  why not ? Only takes 15 min  :P
John

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1910 on: August 03, 2013, 01:22:23 AM »
Made a couple of small pies for us tonight from P. Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan dough. Three days in the fridge and into a 700 oven. I'm not smooth at this yet so again I forgot to time the bake. A few pics of the 2 pies.
My wife said the second pie was the best one I've ever made. At least I'm getting better and not worse.

Very nice looking pizzas, redox. I love the puffy rim. Looks a bit like a Mozza pie.  Thanks for posting those. 

Offline italdream

« Reply #1911 on: August 03, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
The more I use the BS, the more I am convinced that this little machine is nothing short of revolutionary, especially for all of us NP guys.

The simplicity with which you get a NP looking pie is amazing. I bet one could use supermarket dough and get a NP looking pie at the right temperature.

I think that every WFO guy should also have a BS (John's first posts seem to confirm it), since it takes so little to start and operate.

My wife, who for years has been subject to my multiple pizza bella, modified cycle, LBE experiments, says that not only my latest pies are the best I have ever made but are no worse than Di Matteo/Presidente. Now it may be just love speaking or sake for marriage integrity. But she has always been very critical of my pizza making in a constructive way.

Anyway, I just wanted to say it...

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #1912 on: August 03, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
Very Close Chau, Very Close I was so thrilled with the simplicity. Ididnt really focus on taste ? I will do a side by side, Hey  why not ? Only takes 15 min  :P
John

Visually speaking, they look just like your wfo pies.   Nice work!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1913 on: August 03, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
I believe I BELIEVE ~ ! WOW !!

John,

I am glad you are a believer now too!   8)  I talked to Steve on Tuesday and told him I can not really tell any differences in the pizzas I made with the BS in comparison to pizzas made in a WFO, except for Craig's pizzas.  My pizzas didn't look at good as some of the ones made in Steve's WFO though.  I told Steve he has to come to my place and try the BS to see what he really thinks.  I am so glad you took the splash!   :-D

The more I use the BS, the more I am convinced that this little machine is nothing short of revolutionary, especially for all of us NP guys.

The simplicity with which you get a NP looking pie is amazing. I bet one could use supermarket dough and get a NP looking pie at the right temperature.

I think that every WFO guy should also have a BS (John's first posts seem to confirm it), since it takes so little to start and operate.

My wife, who for years has been subject to my multiple pizza bella, modified cycle, LBE experiments, says that not only my latest pies are the best I have ever made but are no worse than Di Matteo/Presidente. Now it may be just love speaking or sake for marriage integrity. But she has always been very critical of my pizza making in a constructive way.

italdream,

Very good looking!

Jay,

Nice looking Reinhart Neo-Neapolitan pies!  I bet that rim crust was nice and moist.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #1914 on: August 03, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »

Nice...I agree.  The results are close.  How close though would be interesting to know.   I can't trust my judgement on this one because I am always changing up my dough and techniques all the time.  But John is one of the few who's pies are very consistent.   IMO, the texture is off just a bit but not enough to offset all the advantages the BS brings to the table.   And I doubt your wife is lying to you.  You pies look that good.   I bet they eat just as well!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:06:10 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1915 on: August 03, 2013, 08:04:32 AM »
Awesome John.  I find myself wondering whether the BS guys were brilliant at engineering this thing or just got really really lucky. If it weren't for their videos, I would have assumed the former.

Offline italdream

« Reply #1916 on: August 03, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
Awesome John.  I find myself wondering whether the BS guys were brilliant at engineering this thing or just got really really lucky. If it weren't for their videos, I would have assumed the former.

One main question is why is the burner/flame placed on the side, instead of under? That is key, IMHO, for propane based pizza ovens...

From the videos, it looks that even 2stone has a bottom flame, like an LBE

They must have thought that a side flame combined with rotating plate would yield better results. If you think, it mimics certain wood oven heat dynamics. And it avoids the huge problem of overcooked bottoms/pale tops so common in LBE type of settings.

Can it all be casual?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1917 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
Every dog has his day. I heard the BlackStone boys all carry rabbits foot charms on their wallet chains.  8)

Offline slybarman

« Reply #1918 on: August 03, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »

From the videos, it looks that even 2stone has a bottom flame, like an LBE

I believe the 2 stone is adjustable.

Offline italdream

« Reply #1919 on: August 03, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I believe the 2 stone is adjustable.

Did not know that.

Anyway, the question for the BS still stands. is it casual they put the flame where it is. coincidence, luck or conscious design choice? Curious to hear what people think...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1920 on: August 03, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
It's a blatant rip-off of the 2-Stone man.  ::)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #1921 on: August 03, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
As in a wood fired oven.I cook with the fire on the side and rotate the pizza its what we call  keep the flame licking  the dome :P the rotation is done by the blackstone  pretty slick and effortless!
In my opinion a critacal part of WFO pizza the side flame imitates this action right ? The little bracket (front to back L) sure does get RED  hot after being vlasted by the flame!. I am  scared its gonna melt ! what the fix there ? flame deflector? or just let it go ?
what are people cleaning the stone with ?

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #1922 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
It's a blatant rip-off of the 2-Stone man.  ::)

Not blatant.  Similar or same concept, different execution.   2stones flame is in the back, BS to the side.  I'm not sure the 2stone uses the same heat shield.  Different steel plate as well.  I would say BS may have borrowed a few design cues, but I'm not seeing rip off.  They may have even improved the mouse trap.  But let's not start an oven war here. 

John some folks are cutting that bracket off.  Others are just using it as is.  I scrape the stone with my metal peel and wipe it down with a wet rag.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:40:42 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline italdream

« Reply #1923 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
what are people cleaning the stone with ?

Just flip the stone before next cooking. The bottom side will come clean as new...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1924 on: August 03, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Not blatant.  Similar or same concept, different execution.   2stones flame is in the back, BS to the side.  I'm not sure the 2stone uses the same heat shield.  Different steel plate as well.  I would say BS may have borrowed a few design cues, but I'm not seeing rip off.  They may have even improved the mouse trap.  But let's not start an oven war here. 

John some folks are cutting that bracket off.  Others are just using it as is.  I scrape the stone with my metal peel and wipe it down with a wet rag.
Hey Chau, facing your BS grill turn it 90 degrees and the flame will be coming from the back!  :-D

And yes, you're right...the grill war thing has been done to death.  ;)

pizzapan