Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 540517 times)

Offline redox

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2450 on: August 24, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
GREAt dogs!!!!! But Ketchup on a dog ??? . Oh My :o

Mark
Sometimes my wife will put catsup on her got dog. I don't say anything but I can't watch.  :(

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2451 on: August 24, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »
Sometimes my wife will put catsup on her got dog. I don't say anything but I can't watch:(
You are missing a thing of beauty sir.  :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Jackitup

« Reply #2452 on: August 24, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
I have to say, I too am a mustard boy but I caved in to the Warden and got the catsup out. I had one with and one without....liked them both but I went real easy with the catsup on mine!

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline durhamtaurus

« Reply #2453 on: August 25, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
Found mine in the driveway Friday afternoon, with the prominent "this end up" arrow pointing down.  Unpacked today and no damage.  Went together fine.  I set it up as instructed except changed the placement of the collar on the rotating platform shaft as described on the pizzawiki.info site.  Reinstalled the collar after inserting the shaft through the top plate in the main body, so the collar now rests on the bearing at the bottom of the main body.  Spacing is about 3/8" between rotating platform and the body--i.e. about stock I guess.

I fired it up and got to 750F on the bottom stone within ~15 minutes.  Here are some photos of the initial bake.  Dough was a 2 day-old King Arthur AP 67% sourdough, neapolitan style with no oil or sugar.  I used tomato sauce made from Romas out of our garden and cheapo part-skim shredded mozzarella. 

Red regulator knob cranked back 1/2 turn from wide open, and oven knob ~1/2 way.  Bottom stone at ~750F and top at ~800 on right side and ~680 on left side. ( (Didn't want to incinerate my 1st batch so didn't go wide open).

Made 4 pies and ended up baked each one a bit longer than the last.  The photos are
1)mid-bake (~80 seconds).  I was happy with the cornicione development--impossible in a 550F home oven.
2) top
3) bottom
Pretty even between top and bottom.  I was very happy for a 1st attempt.

Thanks to everybody on this forum for all the feedback on this thing--I discovered it, researched it, and bought it all within 30 minutes last weekend.

Offline communist

« Reply #2454 on: August 25, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Nice first pie Durhamtaurus!   Mark

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2455 on: August 25, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
Those are some nice looking pizzas.  Looks like you already have it dialed in. 

Offline durhamtaurus

« Reply #2456 on: August 25, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Those are some nice looking pizzas.  Looks like you already have it dialed in. 

I saw your "+1" on no need for the new bearing which was why I ended up setting it up the way I did.  Thanks (to you and everybody else out there) for the truly astonishing amount of useful information documented in such a short time since this thing was "discovered." 

And thanks communist for the positive feedback.  You guys have a nice mutually supportive vibe going here. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2457 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
Another trip to the Beach for My  Blackstone Nice FWF party yesterday 90 people brought 75 cooked 55 what do you do with 20 dough balls from Thursday Night batch on Sunday
COOK EM UP on the beach ~  :chef:
everyone got a chance to play along  what a beautiful Blackstone day!
John
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:01:30 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline communist

« Reply #2458 on: August 25, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
Really nice pies John!  And you sure are demonstrating how portable the Blackstone is.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #2459 on: August 25, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
Hey john your pies look good
By looking at the pictures I think you were not using the peel that came with
your blackstone?
Hope for us north easterners that we can use the blackstone in the winter
or maybe play it safe and store it aways till spring.............JT

scott123

« Reply #2460 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Great looking pies, John.  Are you getting a lot of curious onlookers?  ;D

What's it like lugging the oven around?  Is that your prep table?  Are you carrying the prep table and the oven to the beach?  If you are, that's hard core.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2461 on: August 25, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »
I'll be burnin all winter for sure. The peel that came with ? These are my camper peel and meant to be left at the beach  if they are damaged or stolen I dont give a hoot just dont take My BS. Now that people are seeing what comes out of it I am chaining it to my picnic table  ;)
John

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2462 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
Scott, Thats my container store, fold up stainless table which I add Butcher block top for strewtching that  opens up to  cart and hold buckets and dough trays and my folding 4' costsco table for ingredients sauce and ...  its 2 trips to the van for everything where to you see a prep table?

scott123

« Reply #2463 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »
John, I called it a 'prep table' because you're making pizzas on it, even though it's probably not an actual prep table- and definitely not the prep table you use on gigs.

Seems like a lot to haul for a vacation, but, it definitely looks like it's worth the effort.

If I took vacations and had the money, I'd probably just put a second Blackstone in the back of my car and put it on a track that would extend beyond the hatch.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2464 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
I will definitely be using mine over the winter.  I can't see going back to my home oven at this point.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2465 on: August 25, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Its my raquet and swim club 5 min from house. So no vacation trips for her yet ? If I go to the Jersey shore I am just gonna steal chazes for the day :)  I take top  top off, top stone off and turntable out and just pop it in the van very very simple. No track required. I am excited for the tailgate at the NY Giant games this yeas at Met Life staduium as well ! Some serious set ups there but I have not seen a BS ?
J

scott123

« Reply #2466 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
I am excited for the tailgate at the NY Giant games this yeas at Met Life staduium as well ! Some serious set ups there but I have not seen a BS ?

I don't tailgate myself, but this is going to seriously rule at any tailgate party.

Online Jackitup

« Reply #2467 on: August 25, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
John

Your "Peel Pro" makes the best pic though!! Looks very happy. Is that the Boss/Warden/Bride.
Pies of course look great too :P

jon
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:32:38 PM by Jackitup »
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline fearitself

« Reply #2468 on: August 26, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
I picked one of these bad boys up from Cabela's over the weekend and fired it up with a few simple mods I had read about and saw mixed results, but there is clearly loads of potential with this oven once I get it dialed in.

My mods thus far are raising up the metal plate that holds the bottom stone to appx 3/8 of an inch above the stainless lip, ss spacers under the stone. 

I cooked at appx 850 on the lower left and appx 900 on the lower right.  Caputo red bag, 58% water, 2% salt, 10% starter.   This is the recipe I have always used with much success in wood ovens and a LBE. 

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight.  I baked 5 pies all with different toppings. Each pie was cooked for appx 60 to 80 seconds. Each one of them had really good char & leoparding on the bottom and the cheese & topping were cooked pretty close to perfection however the cornicone lacked that same char.   Now early on I know that Chau made a deflector that helped with this, but then I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS.   I was shooting for that tonight and came nowhere close to being content with the results. 

My thoughts are now to raise the lower stone up a little (not sure how much) and make a stainless steel deflector that bends at a good angle to hit the cornicone.   
Anything else or advice on this is much appreciated.

Bill

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2469 on: August 26, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »
Bill, you are on target.  Some users have gotten great results without a Chau deflector,  others, like me, need them.  I don't know why, but assume it involves differences between cheese, dough formulations, and height of the platter, temperature at loading and size of the pie.  I would go with a Chau deflector and see how you do.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2470 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
I picked one of these bad boys up from Cabela's over the weekend and fired it up with a few simple mods I had read about and saw mixed results, but there is clearly loads of potential with this oven once I get it dialed in.

My mods thus far are raising up the metal plate that holds the bottom stone to appx 3/8 of an inch above the stainless lip, ss spacers under the stone. 

I cooked at appx 850 on the lower left and appx 900 on the lower right.  Caputo red bag, 58% water, 2% salt, 10% starter.   This is the recipe I have always used with much success in wood ovens and a LBE. 

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight.  I baked 5 pies all with different toppings. Each pie was cooked for appx 60 to 80 seconds. Each one of them had really good char & leoparding on the bottom and the cheese & topping were cooked pretty close to perfection however the cornicone lacked that same char.   Now early on I know that Chau made a deflector that helped with this, but then I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS.   I was shooting for that tonight and came nowhere close to being content with the results. 

My thoughts are now to raise the lower stone up a little (not sure how much) and make a stainless steel deflector that bends at a good angle to hit the cornicone.   
Anything else or advice on this is much appreciated.

Bill
And I would suggest you do each further mod separately, Bill, starting with playing around with your platter height.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2471 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
I had a house full of people this weekend and effortlessly cranked out a half dozen pies on the BS yesterday. The home oven would never have been able to do it so easily or consistently or quickly. Also the house would have become unbearably hot.

My family was very impressed with the pies and had I been a BS retailer,  I could have sold them each one without trying.

This thing is money.  O0

Offline communist

« Reply #2472 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight. cornicone lacked that same char. I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS. 
Bill
Bill, I have been running an unmodified BS.  I agree that the bottom crust is fine, the top cheese is cooked nicely, but the cornicone is the challenge.  To help this, I have been doming my pie on the right top stone after about 70 seconds, rotating and doming again as needed.  You need a metal peel for this.  My woood launch peel was catching fire!   Mark

Offline fearitself

« Reply #2473 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
And I would suggest you do each further mod separately, Bill, starting with playing around with your platter height.

Agreed Bob.  I was thinking I'd go to 1 inch to start with.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2474 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
from memory, I have my steel plate height at 1/2".  I would start with 3/8", and then try 1/2" max.  At 3/4" or above, you will likely see cheese burning.  I can check the numbers later but I'm pretty sure these are correct. 

pizzapan