Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 348399 times)

scott123

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2460 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Great looking pies, John.  Are you getting a lot of curious onlookers?  ;D

What's it like lugging the oven around?  Is that your prep table?  Are you carrying the prep table and the oven to the beach?  If you are, that's hard core.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2461 on: August 25, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »
I'll be burnin all winter for sure. The peel that came with ? These are my camper peel and meant to be left at the beach  if they are damaged or stolen I dont give a hoot just dont take My BS. Now that people are seeing what comes out of it I am chaining it to my picnic table  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2462 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
Scott, Thats my container store, fold up stainless table which I add Butcher block top for strewtching that  opens up to  cart and hold buckets and dough trays and my folding 4' costsco table for ingredients sauce and ...  its 2 trips to the van for everything where to you see a prep table?

scott123

« Reply #2463 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »
John, I called it a 'prep table' because you're making pizzas on it, even though it's probably not an actual prep table- and definitely not the prep table you use on gigs.

Seems like a lot to haul for a vacation, but, it definitely looks like it's worth the effort.

If I took vacations and had the money, I'd probably just put a second Blackstone in the back of my car and put it on a track that would extend beyond the hatch.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2464 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
I will definitely be using mine over the winter.  I can't see going back to my home oven at this point.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2465 on: August 25, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Its my raquet and swim club 5 min from house. So no vacation trips for her yet ? If I go to the Jersey shore I am just gonna steal chazes for the day :)  I take top  top off, top stone off and turntable out and just pop it in the van very very simple. No track required. I am excited for the tailgate at the NY Giant games this yeas at Met Life staduium as well ! Some serious set ups there but I have not seen a BS ?
J

scott123

« Reply #2466 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
I am excited for the tailgate at the NY Giant games this yeas at Met Life staduium as well ! Some serious set ups there but I have not seen a BS ?

I don't tailgate myself, but this is going to seriously rule at any tailgate party.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2467 on: August 25, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
John

Your "Peel Pro" makes the best pic though!! Looks very happy. Is that the Boss/Warden/Bride.
Pies of course look great too :P

jon
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:32:38 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline fearitself

« Reply #2468 on: August 26, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
I picked one of these bad boys up from Cabela's over the weekend and fired it up with a few simple mods I had read about and saw mixed results, but there is clearly loads of potential with this oven once I get it dialed in.

My mods thus far are raising up the metal plate that holds the bottom stone to appx 3/8 of an inch above the stainless lip, ss spacers under the stone. 

I cooked at appx 850 on the lower left and appx 900 on the lower right.  Caputo red bag, 58% water, 2% salt, 10% starter.   This is the recipe I have always used with much success in wood ovens and a LBE. 

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight.  I baked 5 pies all with different toppings. Each pie was cooked for appx 60 to 80 seconds. Each one of them had really good char & leoparding on the bottom and the cheese & topping were cooked pretty close to perfection however the cornicone lacked that same char.   Now early on I know that Chau made a deflector that helped with this, but then I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS.   I was shooting for that tonight and came nowhere close to being content with the results. 

My thoughts are now to raise the lower stone up a little (not sure how much) and make a stainless steel deflector that bends at a good angle to hit the cornicone.   
Anything else or advice on this is much appreciated.

Bill

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2469 on: August 26, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »
Bill, you are on target.  Some users have gotten great results without a Chau deflector,  others, like me, need them.  I don't know why, but assume it involves differences between cheese, dough formulations, and height of the platter, temperature at loading and size of the pie.  I would go with a Chau deflector and see how you do.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2470 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
I picked one of these bad boys up from Cabela's over the weekend and fired it up with a few simple mods I had read about and saw mixed results, but there is clearly loads of potential with this oven once I get it dialed in.

My mods thus far are raising up the metal plate that holds the bottom stone to appx 3/8 of an inch above the stainless lip, ss spacers under the stone. 

I cooked at appx 850 on the lower left and appx 900 on the lower right.  Caputo red bag, 58% water, 2% salt, 10% starter.   This is the recipe I have always used with much success in wood ovens and a LBE. 

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight.  I baked 5 pies all with different toppings. Each pie was cooked for appx 60 to 80 seconds. Each one of them had really good char & leoparding on the bottom and the cheese & topping were cooked pretty close to perfection however the cornicone lacked that same char.   Now early on I know that Chau made a deflector that helped with this, but then I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS.   I was shooting for that tonight and came nowhere close to being content with the results. 

My thoughts are now to raise the lower stone up a little (not sure how much) and make a stainless steel deflector that bends at a good angle to hit the cornicone.   

Bill
And I would suggest you do each further mod separately, Bill, starting with playing around with your platter height.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2471 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
I had a house full of people this weekend and effortlessly cranked out a half dozen pies on the BS yesterday. The home oven would never have been able to do it so easily or consistently or quickly. Also the house would have become unbearably hot.

My family was very impressed with the pies and had I been a BS retailer,  I could have sold them each one without trying.

This thing is money.  O0

Offline communist

« Reply #2472 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »

I am looking for a little guidance on what I should do to address the issues I saw tonight. cornicone lacked that same char. I saw some folks post pics of great looking neo's in an unmodified BS. 
Bill
Bill, I have been running an unmodified BS.  I agree that the bottom crust is fine, the top cheese is cooked nicely, but the cornicone is the challenge.  To help this, I have been doming my pie on the right top stone after about 70 seconds, rotating and doming again as needed.  You need a metal peel for this.  My woood launch peel was catching fire!   Mark

Offline fearitself

« Reply #2473 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
And I would suggest you do each further mod separately, Bill, starting with playing around with your platter height.

Agreed Bob.  I was thinking I'd go to 1 inch to start with.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2474 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
from memory, I have my steel plate height at 1/2".  I would start with 3/8", and then try 1/2" max.  At 3/4" or above, you will likely see cheese burning.  I can check the numbers later but I'm pretty sure these are correct. 

Offline fearitself

« Reply #2475 on: August 26, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
from memory, I have my steel plate height at 1/2".  I would start with 3/8", and then try 1/2" max.  At 3/4" or above, you will likely see cheese burning.  I can check the numbers later but I'm pretty sure these are correct.

Yeah I'm at 3/8 now and was thinking of going higher.   Maybe I'll fabricate a SS deflector first and just leave the height where it is now.  I was under the impression that 3/8 was a good distance.

Offline italdream

« Reply #2476 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
however the cornicone lacked that same char.   
Bill
Provided that the dough is fine and conducive to good charring (I had different results with different dough), do the following 1. try the chau-flector, you will have to play with the angle and location and it will take you a few tries to get where you want to be; 2. after about 25 seconds, use a metal peel under the pizza, quickly move the pizza on the side of the stone so the cornicione gets closer to the side flame. Repeat this a few times...; 3. if 1 and 2 does not work, do some doming close to the flame at the end of the bake. sometimes 1-3 second will char the cornicione.

Other factors likely to affect the baking is the height of the plate. BTW, I had great bakes with a misaligned central axis. I have not tried yet the substitute part that I got from griddle guru.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #2477 on: August 26, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
Cannot wait to get my Blackstone on Thursday
Groupon said I would have to sign for it with UPS but
when I was tracking it I was glad I did not have to be there too sign for it since
I am in Montauk till Sat.
I am glad the oven indoors will hardly ever be used again for making pizzas....JT

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2478 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »

I think JT's right with these numbers, especially for a neo pie.

What are people's thoughts about 3 or 4 minute pies?  I think the platter height is forgiving with longer bakes at lower flames.  I made about 15 pies for one party with lots of ingredients.  The launch temp was about 700F, l let the flame idle for 2.5-3.5 minutes, then blasted the flame until the rim color was just right.  The oven performance seemed quite predictable and recovery time was great.  (But I just can't eat 15 pizzas in one sitting anymore ;D)

Dave

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2479 on: August 26, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
I think JT's right with these numbers, especially for a neo pie.

What are people's thoughts about 3 or 4 minute pies?  I think the platter height is forgiving with longer bakes at lower flames.  I made about 15 pies for one party with lots of ingredients.  The launch temp was about 700F, l let the flame idle for 2.5-3.5 minutes, then blasted the flame until the rim color was just right.  The oven performance seemed quite predictable and recovery time was great.  (But I just can't eat 15 pizzas in one sitting anymore ;D)

Dave

I really prefer a little longer bake time. 3.5 minutes to me is about perfect.  If you heat up to around 700 or so and then turn the flame down pretty low it seems to get to about 3.5 min.  It's easier to bake a pizza really fast in the BS than it is to bake it slow though.