Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 284507 times)

Offline pdog

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2840 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Okay..... more experimenting today.

I turn the "red" PSI gauge back 2 full turns, and only opened the regulator on the oven 3/4s to full.

The oven heated to 850 degrees bottom stone in 22 minutes.  Top tiles got to 900ish. 

No flame out (at first hahah)

Temp definitely seems to contribute to the flame burning out of the control knob.  I cooked 4 pies in 15 minutes, and the stone took it like a champ.  Recovery seemed to be less then 2 minutes to get back to true temp.

Great pies.  GREAT PIEs. 

Now onto the flame out.  After about 45 minutes, bam..... flame out!....... It appears there is a small leak in the regulator valve, no access to the valve, and once the oven gets hot enough the excess propane reaches it flash point and ignites. 

Can not wait to get the replacement stones, and new bottom....... Great product even though their are some issues with it.  I think they will get them worked out, and for the price you simple can not beat it.

The only mod I did we move the original barring down 3/4 of an inch to raise the plate. 

Offline communist

« Reply #2841 on: October 06, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

I turn the "red" PSI gauge back 2 full turns, and only opened the regulator on the oven 3/4s to full.

I am interpreting two full turns to mean 720 degrees?  I am able to eliminate flashback with 360 degrees off maximum with red gauge.  It is obvious there is a dangerous defect in this Blackstone which does a wonderful job with all types of pizza.   Mark

Offline pdog

« Reply #2842 on: October 07, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
Right..... a full 720 degrees.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2843 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Pdog, your pizza came out great!  Well done.  Looks really delicious. 

Bill M., I have had the same problem you have, where I got the oven super hot and overcooked the pizza.  I try to get the floor to 750 or so now, and make sure it is heated enough so the temp. is consistent all over the stone.  I have found that the "mistake" pizzas are sometimes the tastiest to eat though!  I love the charred parts as long as they aren't totally burned up. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2844 on: October 07, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
A little OT, but has anyone run a frozen pizza thru their Blackstone? 

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2845 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Great looking pies pdog. I am eagerly awaiting for delivery tomorrow, unless ups needs a signature. I probably wont get to use until the Friday.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2846 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Well, mine showed up today. The box didn't look too bad overall, save for the bottom that had been sitting on a wet porch in the Florida rain. As expected though, both stones are in pieces.

I emailed Blackstone and got a quick response. Unfortunately they are currently backordered on the bottom stones, but expect to have more in about two weeks at which time they will send my replacement.  :(

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2847 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
Well, mine showed up today. The box didn't look too bad overall, save for the bottom that had been sitting on a wet porch in the Florida rain. As expected though, both stones are in pieces.

I emailed Blackstone and got a quick response. Unfortunately they are currently backordered on the bottom stones, but expect to have more in about two weeks at which time they will send my replacement.  :(
Are you going to use it or wait for the stones?

Seems like they would come up with something to prevent this. They would save money on shipping costs and stones. Plus customers would be happier without broken stones.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2848 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
Are you going to use it or wait for the stones?

Seems like they would come up with something to prevent this. They would save money on shipping costs and stones. Plus customers would be happier without broken stones.

I don't really want to fire it up without the top stone in place. I haven't fully unwrapped them to see if the bottom one can be used in pieces. If it can I may give it a try once the replacement top stone shows up. They already gave me a tracking number for that one.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2849 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
I agree though, they really should get their packing figured out so (nearly) everybody doesn't have to go through this. Maybe even ship them in a separate box from the get-go.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2850 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
Me thinks they ought to ship the stones separately. Easier to pack up securely by themselves and so what if you get one thing before the other. They would have to do a cost analysis to see if it would be financially better to spend more for shipping vs replacing stones, not knowing how many stones actually get broke

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Mother

« Reply #2851 on: October 07, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »
Well, looks like it's in seven pieces. I may give it a whirl once the replacement top stone shows up.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2852 on: October 07, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

Well, at least they told me the same thing today about the bottom stones. Mine has been working fine with only the bottom stone in pieces but can it be used with a broken top stone?

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2853 on: October 07, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
Well, looks like it's in seven pieces. I may give it a whirl once the replacement top stone shows up.

Wow! You must have paid extra for the seven piece stone. I only had to pay for a three piece one!  ;D

It does seem to work ok with the bottom stone in pieces, though.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2854 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
What size is the top stone? I have a few stones. I'm hoping mine will fit, if I need to wait for a replacement.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2855 on: October 07, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
What size is the top stone? I have a few stones. I'm hoping mine will fit, if I need to wait for a replacement.

I can measure mine tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

The problem with fitting another one in there though, regardless of diameter, is that it has a straight side across the front.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2856 on: October 08, 2013, 05:58:35 AM »
A little OT, but has anyone run a frozen pizza thru their Blackstone?

Interesting question. I had not thought of trying that. I always fire up the home oven for those.  Let us know how it turns out.

Offline desant89

« Reply #2857 on: October 08, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
Groupon order came the other day, opened package to assemble, and it looks like it was dropped off a cliff.  Even the motor box was crushed.  So I call groupon, and they cannot issue a replacement, just a refund.

Where can I get one, and who has the best price now? Thanks!

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2858 on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
Groupon order came the other day, opened package to assemble, and it looks like it was dropped off a cliff.  Even the motor box was crushed.  So I call groupon, and they cannot issue a replacement, just a refund.

I don't know who has the "best" price. When I was looking to buy one I ended up buying it from Amazon. It was about $10 more than another source and looked like it would take longer to come, but, with all the comments about damages I knew that I could easily replace it via Amazon.

Since I am a Prime member I didn't have to pay for shipping. I started the Prime a few years ago when they had a one month free trial and I was ordering something pretty heavy. Turns out I liked it and kept the membership but, if they still offer the one month free, it might be something to think about.

Ciao and buona fortuna

Tony

Offline pdog

« Reply #2859 on: October 08, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »

This seems to be the norm with the units..... Really too bad.  I gathered with speaking with BS that they are still basically a start up company.  This many damaged units must be eliminating profit rapidly. 

Could this great advancement in home ovens be taking down by the shipping gods?

How does Weber ship their units?  UPS??? Do they ship? 

I would guess one issue is that they are over the carry weight for a single UPS delivery person.  This basically means that the units are going to be dropped off the truck, and rolled to a persons door.  The stones will not make it through that treatment, and depending on how the units are drop everything else is in jeopardy as well. 

From the reports of broken units on this board they would need to return a 120% per unit margin, or they are in trouble if they can not stop the QC/shipping concerns. 

If they can not figure it out, I hope they call me for a capital infusion with stipulation of me gaining managerial control of operations.  I believe they are onto something.  They just need help with their operations.