Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 538076 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #2825 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Tony,  I use the collar on the lower bearing, and did not buy the extra bearing, and have used it once a week since mid July, on average 2 pies at a time since them with no problems.

That's also what I did with no problems at all. And contrary to what others have said it does NOT put any extra load or weight on the motor, the collar and the bearing support all the weight.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2826 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Tony,  I use the collar on the lower bearing, and did not buy the extra bearing, and have used it once a week since mid July, on average 2 pies at a time since them with no problems.

Thanks. You were one of the folks commenting in that wiki and I used your cardboard method quite successfully to space my bearing correctly. I didn't understand the reason for it until I actually got to that step. You really can't see what is happening. I even saved the cardboard to use again if I need to.  :)

I'm happy to hear that it continues to work well and would suggest that anyone just assembling their oven take a look at the wiki.

I would guess that buying another bearing is unnecessary -- except, possibly, if one needs to use the oven for heavier items.

Ciao!

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2827 on: October 03, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
That's also what I did with no problems at all. And contrary to what others have said it does NOT put any extra load or weight on the motor, the collar and the bearing support all the weight.

jon

Thanks, Jon.

Tony

Offline pdog

« Reply #2828 on: October 04, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
Welll........ The unit arrived today, and ............ The stones are shattered! 

The bottom stone only broke into 2 pieces, but the top........ Well........ lets just say I've seen puzzles with less pieces haha........  From the way they pack the stones I am shocked that anyone has received them intact.  Plus when you ship anything UPS above 50 pounds the packages are treated much rougher.  I basically watched the UPS man "roll" the package out of the truck before I could get to him to help. 

I tried calling the customer service number, and it rang to a gentlemen named John.  I then looked on line, and found that the number in my manual is wrong..... hahah..... Poor John..... In my manual the number reads xxx-232-xxxx, and the right number is xxx-252-xxxx.  John must get a hundred phone calls a day!!!

Oh well....... I will look through the thread to find another BS number. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:31:40 AM by pdog »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2829 on: October 04, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
Mine is set for Tuesday delivery, may be I should call Blackstone and say I received mine with broken stones just so I will have them on the way already lol. Sounds like a pretty good chance mine will be broken.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2830 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Mine is set for Tuesday delivery, may be I should call Blackstone and say I received mine with broken stones just so I will have them on the way already lol. Sounds like a pretty good chance mine will be broken.

It might not do a lot of good. I've been waiting almost three weeks now for a replacement  >:(

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2831 on: October 04, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
Welll........ The unit arrived today, and ............ The stones are shattered! 

The bottom stone only broke into 2 pieces, but the top........ Well........ lets just say I've seen puzzles with less pieces haha........  From the way they pack the stones I am shocked that anyone has received them intact.  Plus when you ship anything UPS above 50 pounds the packages are treated much rougher.  I basically watched the UPS man "roll" the package out of the truck before I could get to him to help. 

I tried calling the customer service number, and it rang to a gentlemen named John.  I then looked on line, and found that the number in my manual is wrong..... hahah..... Poor John..... In my manual the number reads xxx-232-xxxx, and the right number is xxx-252-xxxx.  John must get a hundred phone calls a day!!!

Oh well....... I will look through the thread to find another BS number.

UPS used to be good, now it sucks. The box with my oven in it was open at both top and bottom and on its side on my porch. There was a prominent "Team Lift" sticker on it but we all know that there is only one person per UPS truck. I guess I was lucky that only the bottom stone was broken since the oven can still be used.

I must say that I received a rapid response (if not stone) from my email to them at support@blackstoneproducts.com

Ciao e buona fortuna!

Tony

Offline pdog

« Reply #2832 on: October 04, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »
Mine had the same wrapping......... He was alone, and ready to drop!

So I must say...... BS customer service is awesome on the phone......... I will report back when all is corrected, but they had a great attitude about the unit.

New stones shipped, and apologies all round........ i fired the bad boy without the top stone.  I am very impressed!!!!  I figured 370 is 370........ I am going full boar!

I fired the first time all out for 1 hr......... bottom stone temp....... don't know.  I work for a large drug company and temperature is critical. . I have a $1000+  temp gun to play with....... reading?!>!?!>  Max out.  That is over 1K F after a 45min pre heat full open.  Last read able temp was 986.

After about 75 mins........ flame thrower occurred.  I called BS and they are sending a new unit all together, and told me to keep the defective unit for trial and error. 

***wrong picture***  Roof top view!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:03:55 PM by pdog »

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2833 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
Mine had the same wrapping......... He was alone, and ready to drop!

So I must say...... BS customer service is awesome on the phone......... I will report back when all is corrected, but they had a great attitude about the unit.

New stones shipped, and apologies all round........ i fired the bad boy without the top stone.  I am very impressed!!!!  I figured 370 is 370........ I am going full boar!

I fired the first time all out for 1 hr......... bottom stone temp....... don't know.  I work for a large drug company and temperature is critical. . I have a $1000+  temp gun to play with....... reading?!>!?!>  Max out.  That is over 1K F after a 45min pre heat full open.  Last read able temp was 986.

After about 75 mins........ flame thrower occurred.  I called BS and they are sending a new unit all together, and told me to keep the defective unit for trial and error. 

***wrong picture***  Roof top view!

Gee, and I've been waiting for mine for almost three weeks!  ??? I emailed them today so I'll see what kind of reply I get and how quickly.

Nice pic of flames shooting out of the temp control knob! I wonder if cranking the beast up to those temps could cause something to melt that leads to the problem.

Tony

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2834 on: October 05, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »

I think by top stone, you mean the upper-most stone is removed.  If so, removing that stone exposes the large silver (aluminum) cap that covers the upper stone housing and aluminum does not like direct flame - it will disintegrate.  I wouldn't recommend running w/o steel or stone covering the upper area, but definitely don't cook and eat anything and keep the oven in a well ventilated area.
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2835 on: October 05, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
pdog,  sorry to hear about the broken stones.  When you got the flame out - was the red regulator set full open, or was it turned down one full turn?  I wonder whether the setting of the red regulator has anything to do with the flame out problem.

Offline pdog

« Reply #2836 on: October 05, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
I think by top stone, you mean the upper-most stone is removed.  If so, removing that stone exposes the large silver (aluminum) cap that covers the upper stone housing and aluminum does not like direct flame - it will disintegrate.  I wouldn't recommend running w/o steel or stone covering the upper area, but definitely don't cook and eat anything and keep the oven in a well ventilated area.
Dave

I agree..... I covered the top with tiles.  Aluminum would melt at that heat, and release some nasty stuff......

Offline pdog

« Reply #2837 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
pdog,  sorry to hear about the broken stones.  When you got the flame out - was the red regulator set full open, or was it turned down one full turn?  I wonder whether the setting of the red regulator has anything to do with the flame out problem.

Wide open! haha...........  I believe a product should work maxed out.  I am going to do some more test to see if I can figure out the issue.  I do believe the high heat had something to do with the flame out.  The flame out did not occur until the heat was north of 1K degrees. 

There may be a seal or something that is not rated to those temps. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2838 on: October 06, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
If anyone is interested the photos of the different kind of pizzas that I baked in the Blackstone unit start at Reply 232 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg282400.html#msg282400 

Norma

Offline Bill McIntyre

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2839 on: October 06, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
Back in post #2819 I reported my great success with my first use of the Blackstone. Last night was the second time and it didn't go as well, although I guess it was my fault.

The first time I used it, the temp on the thermometer only got up to about 450°. Maybe I didn't have one of the valves all the way open. But last night in about 15 minutes, the needle pegged at 800°. The flame roared like a blowtorch on high. I have no idea how much hotter it really was since the needle couldn't move any more. Since I've read that the wood fired ovens in Naples are at about 1000°, I put the pie in. Flames actually came out from under the pie, and it was blackened in about a minute.

So for the next pie, I turned it down to around 450° and that worked fine. Has anyone else had this experience of too much heat?

For what its worth, this pizza had mozzarella and ricotta, thin sliced potatoes, leeks, and rosemary. Its very good when its not burnt to a crisp.

Offline pdog

« Reply #2840 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Okay..... more experimenting today.

I turn the "red" PSI gauge back 2 full turns, and only opened the regulator on the oven 3/4s to full.

The oven heated to 850 degrees bottom stone in 22 minutes.  Top tiles got to 900ish. 

No flame out (at first hahah)

Temp definitely seems to contribute to the flame burning out of the control knob.  I cooked 4 pies in 15 minutes, and the stone took it like a champ.  Recovery seemed to be less then 2 minutes to get back to true temp.

Great pies.  GREAT PIEs. 

Now onto the flame out.  After about 45 minutes, bam..... flame out!....... It appears there is a small leak in the regulator valve, no access to the valve, and once the oven gets hot enough the excess propane reaches it flash point and ignites. 

Can not wait to get the replacement stones, and new bottom....... Great product even though their are some issues with it.  I think they will get them worked out, and for the price you simple can not beat it.

The only mod I did we move the original barring down 3/4 of an inch to raise the plate. 

Offline communist

« Reply #2841 on: October 06, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

I turn the "red" PSI gauge back 2 full turns, and only opened the regulator on the oven 3/4s to full.

I am interpreting two full turns to mean 720 degrees?  I am able to eliminate flashback with 360 degrees off maximum with red gauge.  It is obvious there is a dangerous defect in this Blackstone which does a wonderful job with all types of pizza.   Mark

Offline pdog

« Reply #2842 on: October 07, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
Right..... a full 720 degrees.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2843 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Pdog, your pizza came out great!  Well done.  Looks really delicious. 

Bill M., I have had the same problem you have, where I got the oven super hot and overcooked the pizza.  I try to get the floor to 750 or so now, and make sure it is heated enough so the temp. is consistent all over the stone.  I have found that the "mistake" pizzas are sometimes the tastiest to eat though!  I love the charred parts as long as they aren't totally burned up. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2844 on: October 07, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
A little OT, but has anyone run a frozen pizza thru their Blackstone? 

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2845 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Great looking pies pdog. I am eagerly awaiting for delivery tomorrow, unless ups needs a signature. I probably wont get to use until the Friday.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2846 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Well, mine showed up today. The box didn't look too bad overall, save for the bottom that had been sitting on a wet porch in the Florida rain. As expected though, both stones are in pieces.

I emailed Blackstone and got a quick response. Unfortunately they are currently backordered on the bottom stones, but expect to have more in about two weeks at which time they will send my replacement.  :(

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2847 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
Well, mine showed up today. The box didn't look too bad overall, save for the bottom that had been sitting on a wet porch in the Florida rain. As expected though, both stones are in pieces.

I emailed Blackstone and got a quick response. Unfortunately they are currently backordered on the bottom stones, but expect to have more in about two weeks at which time they will send my replacement.  :(
Are you going to use it or wait for the stones?

Seems like they would come up with something to prevent this. They would save money on shipping costs and stones. Plus customers would be happier without broken stones.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2848 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
Are you going to use it or wait for the stones?

Seems like they would come up with something to prevent this. They would save money on shipping costs and stones. Plus customers would be happier without broken stones.

I don't really want to fire it up without the top stone in place. I haven't fully unwrapped them to see if the bottom one can be used in pieces. If it can I may give it a try once the replacement top stone shows up. They already gave me a tracking number for that one.

Offline Mother

« Reply #2849 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
I agree though, they really should get their packing figured out so (nearly) everybody doesn't have to go through this. Maybe even ship them in a separate box from the get-go.