Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 580325 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3025 on: November 07, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
Nice looking pizza Milt. Maybe I need to turn down the heat when I throw the pie on. My top is cooking faster than the bottoms. I have no mods. Tops look great. The bottoms are decent, could be better.

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3026 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »
@milt great looking topping combo.  what are the specs of your additional bearing?   I'm not mechanically minded so I don't know what to look for!    Might have to track down some jalepenos this weekend too.

Apart from the air down here I also have the "chauflector" mod which directs a bit more more heat towards the rim, it made a big difference for me.

#51205 thrust bearing 25X47X15 on amazon.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3027 on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
I can't even keep up with all the great looking pies coming from Pook, Commie, Milt, BBQChuck, and DylanDylan. You guys have really figured out the BS oven.  Well done! 

Offline communist

« Reply #3028 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »
I can't even keep up with all the great looking pies coming from Pook, Commie, Milt, BBQChuck, and DylanDylan. You guys have really figured out the BS oven.  Well done!
Thanks Comrade!

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3029 on: November 08, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »

Thanks, I used to be happy with a pizza from the oven or grill, now with the blackstone I have taken it to a higher point, not to mention having to set up a redneck outdoor kitchen. I now have a grill, deep fryer, blackstone and prep. table ::) I do see more of my neighbors and friends.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3030 on: November 09, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »
Looks like a great spot milt!

Here's my bake from tonight.  A harvest of flat leaf parsley on the first, a standard margherita up second, and garlic shoots to finish.   The marg was the winner, my best pie to date.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3031 on: November 09, 2013, 01:29:54 AM »
a couple more pics

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3032 on: November 09, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
The marg was the winner, my best pie to date.

Really nice looking pies. Very impressive. If you want a little less browning on the cheese, smaller pieces might help as they flatten out a bit faster and get below the most intense heat. Buffalo mozzarella browns less than cows milk as well. 
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3033 on: November 09, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
Thanks, good thoughts.  I'd never thought about the height of the cheese before, but now that you mention it the cheese chunks are the first parts to catch the heat and brown before anything else gets colour.    Haven't used buffalo mozzarella for a while but think I know where to track some down.   I'm also wondering if my chauflector could be beefed up to guide a little more heat away from the center.  I also wonder if a slightly larger pie will have a better heating pattern in the BS,  these were about 10", I'll try 12" soon.

All up I'm loving this oven,   There's still plenty for me to work on as always,  but the experimentation has never been tastier.

On another note - so far I've gotten  7x 40-50 minute bakes out of one 9kg bottle of gas.  I suspect I only have one or two bakes left in the tank but we'll see.  And the first pair of motor batteries are going strong.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3034 on: November 09, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
All up I'm loving this oven,   There's still plenty for me to work on as always,  but the experimentation has never been tastier.

On another note - so far I've gotten  7x 40-50 minute bakes out of one 9kg bottle of gas.  I suspect I only have one or two bakes left in the tank but we'll see.  And the first pair of motor batteries are going strong.
Batteries - You don't have power lines in NZ? :D  Seriously, you are probably one of the few running without the transformer plugged in.  It's good to know the batteries last at least as long as the propane tank.

Your pies look great.  I'm hoping somebody will optimize the Chauflector and post up.  I tried a handful of marginally-innovative designs - some guiding the heat away from the center (toward the back, toward the front, etc) and finally settled on a design that I liked.  Then one day it removed the 'flector - and didn't notice much of a difference.  I don't use one now, but remain open-minded.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:35:30 PM by Tampa »

Offline Mother

« Reply #3035 on: November 10, 2013, 07:53:04 AM »
Here's a couple pics from my second bake with the Blackstone (stock other than washers under the stone). Dough was 100% Caputo, 60% hydration.

I think I'm going to try 58% next time as it seemed a bit stickier than I think it should. I had to use a fair bit of flour to keep it from sticking to the counter. Maybe Florida temps and humidity play a factor in that.

I also don't seem to be getting a much browning around the outside. Perhaps a deflector is in order.

The highlight of the night (other than deliciousness) was coming in with a pie and finding my wife making our dog chase around the laser from the IR thermometer.  :P

First pie is Margerita.
Second is Boar's Head pepperoni and onion.
Last one is no sauce, mozzarella, herbed goat cheese, speck and lemon.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:54:48 AM by Mother »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3036 on: November 10, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
Mother, nice looking pie. The Chauflector would help, but not as much as making a larger pie. The closer the pie gets to the rim of the stone, the more heat it will see and that will help with browning.

Offline Mother

« Reply #3037 on: November 10, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
Thanks, Barry. I'll give that a try. That may work hand in hand with going to a slightly lower hydration. With the dough I had yesterday I'm not sure if I would have been able to transfer to the peel had it been much larger.

I also didn't know if adjusting the burner post launch would be a good idea. I was just trying to find the sweet spot to keep the bottom stone temps in the low to mid 800's and leaving it there. Perhaps I need to crank it a little bit after I get the pie in there.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3038 on: November 10, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Great looking pies @mother!     I definitely agree with increasing the burner at the time that you bake a pie.  I tend to keep the burner on lowish - just less than when it makes the 'jet sound' - with the bottom stone at about 775f until I launch, then I crank the gas until it does make the jet sound.  This helps the browning on top without burning the underside.   I don't think I'd cook another pie without altering the temperature like that.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3039 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Mother, nice looking pie. The Chauflector would help, but not as much as making a larger pie. The closer the pie gets to the rim of the stone, the more heat it will see and that will help with browning.
I agree w/ Barry but here is an alternative.  I throw a lot of small pies and just use a small turning peel to keep the rim in the flame.  It takes a little practice, but the result is the same as throwing a big pie.  Just let the pie sit on the stone 30 seconds or so to set the bottom, then keep an edge in the flame.
Dave

Offline Mother

« Reply #3040 on: November 10, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
I appreciate all of the feedback. I definitely will try a few different things with my next bake and see how things go.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3041 on: November 10, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
Mother,  I did two pies tonight, used a diff recipe than normal and the pies came out smaller - and much less browning by the rim.  If you can get the pie within an inch or two of the outside of the platter, you can get it pretty close to the flame. 

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3042 on: November 16, 2013, 04:11:14 AM »
A couple of margheritas from this weekend's bake.  Thanks for the tips Craig - found some buffalo mozz, smaller chunks and hey presto, the cheese avoided the sunburn.  Also pushed the temperature a bit further and got a faster bake and more intensity in the blistering, having plenty of fun dialing this machine in.    This week's sauce was far from ideal, too coarse and too thickly applied.  Ah well, something to work on next week.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3043 on: November 16, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »
A couple of margheritas from this weekend's bake.  Thanks for the tips Craig - found some buffalo mozz, smaller chunks and hey presto, the cheese avoided the sunburn.  Also pushed the temperature a bit further and got a faster bake and more intensity in the blistering, having plenty of fun dialing this machine in.    This week's sauce was far from ideal, too coarse and too thickly applied.  Ah well, something to work on next week.
Dang!  Maybe you should move on to deep dish or something ;D
Dave
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:56:26 AM by Tampa »

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3044 on: November 16, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »

Beautiful pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3045 on: November 16, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
^^What he said.^^

Dang!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3046 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
Nice pizzas Dylan?

What type of flour, hydration % and what was your workflow for the dough?

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3047 on: November 16, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
Dylan's got it going ON!!!

Those could easily be mistaken for professionally made pies, on any continent.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3048 on: November 16, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks to all for the advice on many fronts - I'm enjoying eating the the results of putting your advice into action.  We had guests last night who devoured these, including the bones, always a reassuring sign!

Formula for this batch was:
Flour:    676.56 g | 23.86 oz | 1.49 lbs
Water:    430.57 g | 15.19 oz | 0.95 lbs
Salt:     16.91 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs
Starter:    15.96 g | 0.56 oz | 0.04 lbs    (starter is about 100% hydration)
Total:    1140 g | 40.21 oz | 2.51 lbs

This was a 42 hour dough, all mixed by hand.  Workflows:

Starter:  I keep my starter in the fridge all week until about 10 hours before I'm going to make dough. I take it out of the fridge, feed it, and leave it at room temp (60f-70f) during the day.  After 10 hours it is very active, I take what I need to make dough, and put the rest back in the fridge for another week.

Dough:  Combine everything in a bowl, mix until a shaggy mass.  Leave to rest for 15 minutes.  Knead for about 5 minutes.  Rest for about 15 minutes, and the stretch & fold. Repeat 15 minute rest and stretch & fold 4 times (I think).  Then leave the dough in a covered bowl for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, divide and ball, I has 6 dough balls with this one, at about 180-190g each.  I'm putting the balls into rectangular boxes, 3 to a box. [EDIT: then leave the balls for another 24 hours - or in this case about 20 hours - before the bake happens].   They flatten out and touch the edges and each other, but that's all part of the fun.

Bake workflow: I get the stone to about 780f (but it varies) for launch.  At launch crank the flame up a lot (makes a good noise and temps rise a fair bit, but I haven't measured all this - and I certainly haven't figured the optimal pre/during temps).   During the bake I've taken to shuffling the pie to the back/center of the stone every 1/4 rotation, so the cornicione is always coming through the hot zone.  It takes constant attention, but seems to help a lot with the 10" pies.  I bring the flame back down to "idling" in between bakes.

The flour:  is nothing special.  It's a common supermarket variety called "Elfin Home Life" flour - 11% protein.   It's actually marketed as a cake flour.  I think the grain is mostly NZ grown, but I gather some of the local mills also import grain... so who knows.  With this particular flour I've had to take the hydration up to 65%-66%. If I try 60% it's far too firm to work with for pizza. I'm certain there would be better options for flour, even amongst the "supermarket grade".

I would love to try Caputo or Polselli one day, but there is no supplier for either in New Zealand.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Quick question on buying a Blackstone Pizza Oven from GriddleGuru.com
« Reply #3049 on: November 16, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
Hi, yesterday I read through all 183 pages of this thread - I'm thinking about ordering from GriddleGuru.com but can't remember seeing anyone saying if they had good or bad experiences with them. My eyes were a bit crossed by about page 142, so maybe it just got lost.

I was going to wait for the AMAZON Black Friday sale but GriddleGuru.com has it for 369, no tax (at least it looks like no tax) and free shipping - since I have the bug and doubt amazon will be any cheaper (with tax) I'm itching to pull the trigger at GriddleGuru.com.

Just wondering if they are good about fixing broken stones or damaged parts, if they will allow a return (w/o cost to me) if the unit is too damaged in shipping.

If anyone knows pls let me know. Also, thanks to everyone for all the great info, things like: the correct orientation of the factory bearing, extra bearing, proper orientation of the motor, heat shield misalignment checks, best valve / preheat procedures, air gap under the stone (SS washers), proper deck height and on and on, no doubt, all of that great information will come in handy.

pizzapan