Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 362374 times)

Offline Mother

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3040 on: November 10, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
I appreciate all of the feedback. I definitely will try a few different things with my next bake and see how things go.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3041 on: November 10, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
Mother,  I did two pies tonight, used a diff recipe than normal and the pies came out smaller - and much less browning by the rim.  If you can get the pie within an inch or two of the outside of the platter, you can get it pretty close to the flame. 

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3042 on: November 16, 2013, 04:11:14 AM »
A couple of margheritas from this weekend's bake.  Thanks for the tips Craig - found some buffalo mozz, smaller chunks and hey presto, the cheese avoided the sunburn.  Also pushed the temperature a bit further and got a faster bake and more intensity in the blistering, having plenty of fun dialing this machine in.    This week's sauce was far from ideal, too coarse and too thickly applied.  Ah well, something to work on next week.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3043 on: November 16, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »
A couple of margheritas from this weekend's bake.  Thanks for the tips Craig - found some buffalo mozz, smaller chunks and hey presto, the cheese avoided the sunburn.  Also pushed the temperature a bit further and got a faster bake and more intensity in the blistering, having plenty of fun dialing this machine in.    This week's sauce was far from ideal, too coarse and too thickly applied.  Ah well, something to work on next week.
Dang!  Maybe you should move on to deep dish or something ;D
Dave
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:56:26 AM by Tampa »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3044 on: November 16, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »

Beautiful pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3045 on: November 16, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
^^What he said.^^

Dang!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3046 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
Nice pizzas Dylan?

What type of flour, hydration % and what was your workflow for the dough?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3047 on: November 16, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
Dylan's got it going ON!!!

Those could easily be mistaken for professionally made pies, on any continent.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3048 on: November 16, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks to all for the advice on many fronts - I'm enjoying eating the the results of putting your advice into action.  We had guests last night who devoured these, including the bones, always a reassuring sign!

Formula for this batch was:
Flour:    676.56 g | 23.86 oz | 1.49 lbs
Water:    430.57 g | 15.19 oz | 0.95 lbs
Salt:     16.91 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs
Starter:    15.96 g | 0.56 oz | 0.04 lbs    (starter is about 100% hydration)
Total:    1140 g | 40.21 oz | 2.51 lbs

This was a 42 hour dough, all mixed by hand.  Workflows:

Starter:  I keep my starter in the fridge all week until about 10 hours before I'm going to make dough. I take it out of the fridge, feed it, and leave it at room temp (60f-70f) during the day.  After 10 hours it is very active, I take what I need to make dough, and put the rest back in the fridge for another week.

Dough:  Combine everything in a bowl, mix until a shaggy mass.  Leave to rest for 15 minutes.  Knead for about 5 minutes.  Rest for about 15 minutes, and the stretch & fold. Repeat 15 minute rest and stretch & fold 4 times (I think).  Then leave the dough in a covered bowl for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, divide and ball, I has 6 dough balls with this one, at about 180-190g each.  I'm putting the balls into rectangular boxes, 3 to a box. [EDIT: then leave the balls for another 24 hours - or in this case about 20 hours - before the bake happens].   They flatten out and touch the edges and each other, but that's all part of the fun.

Bake workflow: I get the stone to about 780f (but it varies) for launch.  At launch crank the flame up a lot (makes a good noise and temps rise a fair bit, but I haven't measured all this - and I certainly haven't figured the optimal pre/during temps).   During the bake I've taken to shuffling the pie to the back/center of the stone every 1/4 rotation, so the cornicione is always coming through the hot zone.  It takes constant attention, but seems to help a lot with the 10" pies.  I bring the flame back down to "idling" in between bakes.

The flour:  is nothing special.  It's a common supermarket variety called "Elfin Home Life" flour - 11% protein.   It's actually marketed as a cake flour.  I think the grain is mostly NZ grown, but I gather some of the local mills also import grain... so who knows.  With this particular flour I've had to take the hydration up to 65%-66%. If I try 60% it's far too firm to work with for pizza. I'm certain there would be better options for flour, even amongst the "supermarket grade".

I would love to try Caputo or Polselli one day, but there is no supplier for either in New Zealand.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:59:05 AM by dylandylan »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Quick question on buying a Blackstone Pizza Oven from GriddleGuru.com
« Reply #3049 on: November 16, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »
Hi, yesterday I read through all 183 pages of this thread - I'm thinking about ordering from GriddleGuru.com but can't remember seeing anyone saying if they had good or bad experiences with them. My eyes were a bit crossed by about page 142, so maybe it just got lost.

I was going to wait for the AMAZON Black Friday sale but GriddleGuru.com has it for 369, no tax (at least it looks like no tax) and free shipping - since I have the bug and doubt amazon will be any cheaper (with tax) I'm itching to pull the trigger at GriddleGuru.com.

Just wondering if they are good about fixing broken stones or damaged parts, if they will allow a return (w/o cost to me) if the unit is too damaged in shipping.

If anyone knows pls let me know. Also, thanks to everyone for all the great info, things like: the correct orientation of the factory bearing, extra bearing, proper orientation of the motor, heat shield misalignment checks, best valve / preheat procedures, air gap under the stone (SS washers), proper deck height and on and on, no doubt, all of that great information will come in handy.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3050 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
I bought from Griddleguru and had no problems.  There have been numerous stories of broken stones, but they have shipped replacements, and a some have had bent platters.  I don't recall many people saying they could not get the problems straightened out eventually.  There is a rumor they are in the process of improving the packaging, not sure if that has gone into effect.  Mine came with a crimped leg, which was pretty easy to fix, but no other damage.

Offline xsosx

Re: Quick question on buying a Blackstone Pizza Oven from GriddleGuru.com
« Reply #3051 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »
I was going to wait for the AMAZON Black Friday sale but GriddleGuru.com has it for 369, no tax (at least it looks like no tax) and free shipping - since I have the bug and doubt amazon will be any cheaper (with tax) I'm itching to pull the trigger at GriddleGuru.com.
The rumor is that the Blackstone will also be available on Groupon.com during Black Friday. The last time the Blackstone was on sale on Groupon.com it was $349.99 (no sales tax where I live), shipped for free, and included a pizza peel.

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3052 on: November 16, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
I thought I would try a pan pizza in the blackstone. Went out and picked up a 14" alum. pan with a 2" lip. The stone temp. was around 600, when I put the pie in, the pan started to warp. It's hard to see on the picture but it started to fold up like a taco :o. Should I try at lower temps. 400 or so ? or should I try a steel pan?.Any other thoughts?
Thanks Curt

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3053 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
Thanks guys, 30 buck off sounds good but with my luck the rummer will not be true and the factory will stop production until the QA foreman gets his ID tag back  ;D

PS. you will know when I order because 30 seconds after I hit the return key the Blactstones will be buy one, get one free somewhere...

Offline Gatorbruce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3054 on: November 17, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
Please go ahead and order yours, I have been waiting too and would like to get the deal that you miss!
:-)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3055 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words....  We had guests last night who devoured these, including the bones, always a reassuring sign!

During the bake I've taken to shuffling the pie to the back/center of the stone every 1/4 rotation, so the cornicione is always coming through the hot zone.  It takes constant attention, but seems to help a lot with the 10" pies.
Thanks for sharing your method.  Keep throwing pies like this and I'm sure you will have plenty of guests.  I'm checking into flights...

I'm a fan of keeping the rim in the hot zone/flame area also - it really helps with topside color and it doesn't take high flame to do so.  Regarding the underside char, with a 1-2 minute bake, the bottom stone temperature is relatively constant - meaning that flame on high or low won't cause much of a coloration difference on the underside.  The initial "throw temperature" is the primary factor in determining the bottom color (because of the thermal mass of the stone and support platter).

Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3056 on: November 17, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
Curt,  Aluminum doesn't like sudden changes in temp, and the deep dish pie on the inside probably kept it much colder than the side in contact with the pizza stone,  For the same reason, you should not put cold water on a hot aluminum pan - the cold water will cause it to bend.  You can either try to push it back into shape and use a lower temp, or just try steel which does not have as great a tendency to warp in those conditions as aluminum. 

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3057 on: November 17, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks I will try cooking at a lower temp. and go from there.

Offline Chuckerton

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3058 on: November 20, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
So I've had my Blackstone since early October and I've been making pies nearly every weekend. All told, I've probably made about 40 of them so far. I'm using the Apizza Scholls dough recipe (minus the oil lately, with what I think are better results). 325 gram balls that I make into roughly 14" pies. I launch with the oven floor around 700F to 750F and I never time anything--I just pull them when they look good. I've learned a tremendous amount by reading the forum and I'd like to say thank you. Every pizzamaking session I have had has been better than the last, and I'm really happy.

That said, I'm in a bit of a launching slump. It's weird---I didn't have one problem launching my pies until I had a disaster happen two weekends ago. Up til then I was a natural. Every pie a bull's eye, I didn't even have to think about it. I didn't know how good I had it. And now? I swear, I've turned into Chuck Knoblauch trying to make a throw to first. As a matter of fact, I think the universe is getting me back for how much I made fun of that guy back in the 90's.

Anyway, what I once had all figured out, I've now completely lost.

I am over-launching. I am under-launching. I've ended up with a fifth of a pie hanging off the side and watched helplessly as sauce, cheese and pepperoni take a dive into the abyss of wherever they end up inside the Blackstone.

I've gotta get my mojo back, guys. I need a pitching coach or a therapist. I'm in bad shape. My head ain't on straight. I'm over thinking every step, over analyzing. I'm thinking about it when I'm trying to sleep and I'm agonizing over it when I should be working.

Anyone else ever had this problem or am I alone? Maybe I need to make smaller pies? I saw someone on this forum making 16" pies in the Blackstone. I can't even imagine having stones that large. Steve Irwin wasn't that brave.

I don't know how to end this, so I'll just stop writing.

Thanks for listening.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3059 on: November 20, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »
I've had a similar experience - essentially effortless launches from day one, not thinking about it at all, until a recent misfire and then I was in no-man's-land for a while.  I've clawed my way back to a usually respectable launch through perseverance.  I'm only doing 10"-12" pies, perhaps that would help you get your eye back in?

I have noticed that after one or two beers my launching skills are definitely improved over my sober launch. ymmv.