Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 332678 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizzaria Locale in WSJ (like an enlarged Blackstone)
« Reply #3240 on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
Chipolte has an interesting concept in selling an 11 inch neo pie for $6.50, per the article below from today's Wall Street Journal.  The commercial oven they are using is gas and looks like a WFO but performs like a Blackstone/2Stone.  This is a rather long article, so skip down to the bottom to see the oven.  I've been wondering how to add zazz to the Blackstone for mobile businesses and for home/outdoor built-in use and this might be one way.

Dave
=

WSJ: Can Restaurants Deliver a Higher-Quality Pizza in Two Minutes?

By Sarah Nassauer, Dec. 17, 2013 7:19 p.m. ET

Pizza is getting a Chipotle makeover.

Chipolte Mexican Grill has quietly joined a growing group of restaurants aiming to change how we eat pizza. The ascendant Mexican-food chain known for its mix of healthy-enough, fast-enough food, has the blueprint from its burritos: Make pizza fast, individually tailored and with higher-quality ingredients than low-end competitors. The restaurant's executives want to carve out a niche between eating pizza at home and heading to a high-end, sit-down Italian restaurant. Pizza is one of the most popular meals in the U.S. but it's eaten most often via delivery or the supermarket freezer aisle.

Chipotle helped finance the Denver opening earlier this year of Pizzeria Locale, a restaurant that aims to serve pizza just as Chipotle does burritos. Diners standing in line choose from toppings like fresh mozzarella and prosciutto while watching their food being made. Individual 11-inch pies cost around $6.50 and take a few minutes to make. Diners pay at the counter. A glass-enclosed, climate-controlled dough-making room is prominently placed in the restaurant for easy viewing.

Chipotle has become a model of restaurant success at a time when Americans aren't rushing to eat out. It and other chains like Panera Bread Co. in are taking business from both sit-down chains like Olive Garden and fast-food restaurants like McDonald's as consumers go for fancier food without the fuss of table service.

While plenty of burger, Mexican and sandwich restaurants have staked out this middle ground around the country, pizza looks like the next frontier.     

Pizza is an emotional dish for many Americans. Chicagoans, New Yorkers and others are profoundly attached to their local version: thin crust, deep dish, square or round. Often people order from a handful of chains, mostly pizza of the super cheesy variety, the kind that defines late-night eating for many college students.

It's a growing part of the American diet. About 75% of people report having had pizza once in a two-week period, up from 66% in 2003, according to NPD Group, a market-research firm. The younger the eaters, the more likely they are to choose it, according to the data.

It's also more challenging to pull off fast, premium pizza than burritos or burgers. Thin, Neapolitan-style crust, delicate and chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside, is traditionally cooked in a wood-fired oven. Baking requires a skilled cook to constantly shift the pizza, avoiding uneven hot spots. Making a pizza from scratch also typically takes longer than Chipotle patrons have to wait.

To speed the process and save on labor costs, Pizzeria Locale worked with engineers to produce gas ovens that distributed heat more evenly than a wood-fired oven, says Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson, co-owner of the restaurant. The pizza rotates around the oven, cooking in about two minutes at about 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Still, convincing Americans to eat pizza low on cheese with a slightly charred crust "will be a challenge," he says.

"All these triple-cheese, stuffed this-and-that" pizzas don't improve taste, Mr. Mackinnon-Patterson says. "I want the canvas of the dough to be seasoned as you would a great salad. ... It's just not something that most Americans are used to and we realize that."

Some of Locale's ingredients, like broccolini and corn, might strike traditional pizza-lovers as odd. He hopes that tasting the pizza will convince people.

Pizzeria Locale in Denver is a partnership with Mr. Mackinnon-Patterson and Bobby Stuckey, owners of a sit-down version of the restaurant, also called Pizzeria Locale, and Frasca Food and Wine, a high-end Italian restaurant in Boulder, Colo. They first met working at French Laundry, a Northern California restaurant and temple of American foodie culture.

After opening Frasca almost 10 years ago, Messrs. Mackinnon-Patterson and Stuckey opened the sit-down pizzeria in 2011 with waiters, a large menu of Neapolitan pizzas and a well-researched wine list.

"When I walked in, I thought, 'Oh my gosh, what if they did this in a Chipotle format?' " says Steve Ells, Chipotle chairman and CEO and a longtime friend and Frasca customer.     

Chipotle helped them retool the concept into a faster restaurant over about 18 months, with an opening this May. The original Chipotle also launched with a single Denver location. Chipotle declined to give financial details of the agreement. The company is an investor in the Denver Locale and has the option to become majority owner in the future, a spokesman says.

Other restaurants have already rushed to crack this riddle. Denver-based Live Basil Pizza and Mod Pizza of Bellevue, Wash., among others, have opened in recent years, serving thin-crust pizza made to order at a counter and touting fresher, more diverse ingredients than standard fare at Pizza Hut or Domino's Pizza.

A growing preference for thin, artisanal pizza helps make fast-but-good pizza possible, says Rick Wetzel, co-owner of Blaze Fast-Fire'd Pizza, a chain based in Pasadena, Calif.

"Very thin crust cooks faster," Mr. Wetzel says. He and his wife started the chain after craving a good pizza without a long wait, not finding one and ending up at a Chipotle, he says.

Mainstream pizza-makers are getting in on the trend, too. Pizza Hut introduced Firebaked Style Flatbread Pizzas for a limited time earlier this year to cater to the growing interest in light crust, especially among eaters under 35, says Carrie Walsh, vice president of marketing for Pizza Hut, which is owned by Yum! Brands Inc.

Pizza Hut didn't see a drop in sales of thick-crust pizza, a spokesman says. The company recently launched a new 3-Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza to its menu, hoping to boost the already about 10% of sales that came from stuffed-crust pies.

At the sit-down Locale, waiters are asked why there is no pepperoni on the menu "literally 100 times a day," Mr. Stuckey says.

Without waiters to explain the Neapolitan concept, the restaurateurs decided the simplest answer was to eliminate the question. For the faster version in Denver, the team edited the menu, adding more traditional American pizzas, including pepperoni.

Red and white wine are served on tap there. Prosciutto is served freshly sliced from an Italian, cherry-red ham slicer while customers watch.

Messrs. Stuckey and Mackinnon-Patterson have toured Chipotles around the country to learn how the company builds a team of employees and worked with company executives to learn how it sources ingredients as a large chain and quickly replicates the model. They are considering locations for two more Denver restaurants, the Chipotle spokesman says.

Pizzeria Locale is Chipotle's second venture beyond Mexican cuisine, part of the 20-year-old company's push to keep its sales growth strong as it ages. It has opened six ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen restaurants since 2011 and plans to open more. "I don't think there is a kind of cuisine that wouldn't fit into the Chipotle format," Chipotle CEO Mr. Ells says.
Blackstone....super sized.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3241 on: December 18, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
Sounds great Kerry....you'll dial it in quickly.   :chef:    Any pics of your first BS pizza?

ps...don't know what all type of pies you are looking to make but it sounds like you're gonna need a 10psi regulator....if nothing else that ought to help heat up your garage while you're out there playing.  ;D

Bob, are there any DIY guides out there for replacing the 5 psi reg with a 10 psi one?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3242 on: December 18, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »
Bob, are there any DIY guides out there for replacing the 5 psi reg with a 10 psi one?
Tom,   it's just a simple swap out, no plumbing required. You'll just want to make sure you buy a 10psi with a long enough hose to accomidate your particular set-up/arrangement. Make sure you get an adjustable(0-10psi) one.

Update: I just found this for 10 bucks Tom.....check your current reg. and see if the hose ends connect to it with threaded fittings. If it does then this new 10psi reg. should be a simple "plug an play" deal. Good luck!  :chef:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:07:53 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3243 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Tom,   it's just a simple swap out, no plumbing required. You'll just want to make sure you buy a 10psi with a long enough hose to accomidate your particular set-up/arrangement. Make sure you get an adjustable(0-10psi) one.

Update: I just found this for 10 bucks Tom.....check your current reg. and see if the hose ends connect to it with threaded fittings. If it does then this new 10psi reg. should be a simple "plug an play" deal. Good luck!  :chef:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138

Thanks for the link. From the looks of it, there is a crimp fitting at the hose-regulator end, so that's a bummer. Not sure if the other end is removable for a new hose that could screw into a new regulator.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:46:58 PM by TOM1L21 »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3244 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the link. From the looms of it, there is a crimp fitting at the hose-regulator end, so that's a bummer. Not sure if the other end is removable for a new hose that could screw into a new regulator.
There's plenty of options/parts out there Tom.
This is only 10 lbs. of pressure so "barbed hose connectors" can also work in this scenario if you need/want to be able to reuse the hose you have after cutting it free from the current 5psi one.

Here's another choice.....http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Burner-Regulator-10-PSI-wHose

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3245 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Sounds great Kerry....you'll dial it in quickly.   :chef:    Any pics of your first BS pizza?

ps...don't know what all type of pies you are looking to make but it sounds like you're gonna need a 10psi regulator....if nothing else that ought to help heat up your garage while you're out there playing.  ;D

Bob,

Congrats on your BS.  I'm anxious to see what comes out of yours! Keep us up to pace with your mods.

I took some pics but not a lot, we had to eat quickly so my daughter could make her basketball practice on time.  Got 2 more balls for tomorrow, i'll take some more pics then.  I think that the 5psi will be ok in the summer for me, but I think that it might pose a challenge in the winter trying to get up and maintain the Naples temp range.  I'm going to monkey around a bit more with my BS- its a little hard finding time being so close to Christmas and competing with the cold weather and kids sports. Good luck with yours! Fire-up those engines and get busy! (these things sound like your on the runway at the airport!)

Kerry

P.S. I have a motor off of my old grill rotisserie that fits perfectly in the motor bracket on the BS.  This motor spins twice as fast- I'm curious to see what affect this will have on bake times and evenness? 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3246 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
P.S. I have a motor off of my old grill rotisserie that fits perfectly in the motor bracket on the BS.  This motor spins twice as fast- I'm curious to see what affect this will have on bake times and evenness?

You will like it better. Just have it plugged into an extension cord with a switch to flip the rotiss off to make your launching easier!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3247 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138/ref=ase_pizzamaking-20/103-6714061-5151001

There is also quite few different ones that are 10psi adjustable available at Amazon, many of them also have hoses on them. Going prices seems to be in the low to high $20 range.

And for the real daring, that want a whole lot more than just a raging inferno flame, there is the Bayou Classic with a 48inch braided stainless steel hose, that is 0-30psi adjustable, for $26.18.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/?tag=pizzamaking-20

However considering the problems some have had with flames coming from where they should not be on the front of the ovens temperature control valve area, I think I'd stay away from this one.

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3248 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
You will like it better. Just have it plugged into an extension cord with a switch to flip the rotiss off to make your launching easier!

jon

Jon, I'm glad you had good results with the faster motor.  I can't wait to compare the difference in bakes with the faster motor- to me it seems that the stone should maintain temperature more evenly and consistently. 

Kerry

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3249 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

And for the real daring, that want a whole lot more than just a raging inferno flame, there is the Bayou Classic with a 48inch braided stainless steel hose, that is 0-30psi adjustable, for $26.18.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/?tag=pizzamaking-20

However considering the problems some have had with flames coming from where they should not be on the front of the ovens temperature control valve area, I think I'd stay away from this one.
John, I have one of those and a 120,000 btu replacement burner just in case I need a lil something extra....you know....like, I'll write the number 11 on my dial!  .  >:D

Offline nataj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3250 on: December 19, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
I'm a newbie to the forum. Bought my BS on the cabella's deal. Thanks to those who kept us up on that. Well my bottom stone is cracked down the center. Can't set it up til this weekend so can't say on other parts etc. I tried calling BS but got voicemail. Wrote email requesting stone.
What I do want to say is that I was upstairs in my 3 story house and the UPS guy dumped it so loud, I not only jumped but it scared the h... out of our cat. So breakage is not just on BS.
I will update on assembly and also BS customer service.
nata

Offline xsosx

« Reply #3251 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
I tried calling BS but got voicemail. Wrote email requesting stone.
I contacted them through email three days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I may have to try their Facebook page next...

I attached some photos of the damage. The dents are not as noticeable in the photos as they are in person.

Offline chriscar

« Reply #3252 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Scored mine from Amazon, and although the shipment was delayed a few days, and the box looked a little worse for wear, there was absolutely no damage. I was concerned that they packed the two stones face to face with nothing between them, and only wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and cardboard, but they were fine. Mine has the 10psig regulator, so I guess I got lucky. The only issue is the motor bracket is slightly off-center from the shaft, so I am unable to slide the motor & mandrel onto the shaft. I was able to work around it by installing the motor and mandrel first, then tapping the platter/shaft assembly onto it.

It's not "really" here until Santa delivers it on Christmas, so all I can do for now is tweak it, and dream of how good the pizza is going to be.

C
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3253 on: December 19, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »
Chris,  Amazon has a new policy, you have to check and see if it is damaged within 2 days of receipt, or you can't complain .   ( Just kidding of course,  but based on the number of us that were hitting the recycle webpage of UPS every few minutes on the scheduled delivery date to confirm exactly what time it was delivered so that we could rush home and start using it, you are showing remarkable patience.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3254 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
I contacted them through email three days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I may have to try their Facebook page next...

I attached some photos of the damage. The dents are not as noticeable in the photos as they are in person.
xs,
That whole unit needs to go back....I can't get over some of the crap they send out and packaged in so many different ways. No way was all that done during shipping....not in my opinion.

Is there not someone here that has a phone # so we can get the ball rolling to get xs his new grill?

Offline halfprice

« Reply #3255 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
My BS just arrive a few minutes ago.  Pretty fast shipping for Cabelas.  So far everything looks good.  I opened it up to check the stones and they are good  :)  Doesn't appear to be any dents but I did not take everything out of the box yet.  Haven't checked the regulator yet. I'll do that when I'm done here.

I was going to put it together tomorrow but just realized I haven't received my bearing yet.  So I'll probably wait for next weekend.  Picking up two propane tanks I found on Craigslist for $20 tomorrow and I'll be hitting up Home Depot for washers and 20 gauge steel to make the Chauflector.

Only thing left to do after that is learn how to make a pizza  :drool:

I'm still so confused on the different types of flour, hydration % etc.  Oh well its fun learning new things.

Jerry

Offline halfprice

« Reply #3256 on: December 19, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »
Just checked the regulator 5psi.

Jerry

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3257 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »

Thanks for the pictures.  You may have to work the return/replacement through Cabelas, if not, the contact number for Blackstone is 435-252-3030. 

If it were me, I'd be making pizza until the new one arrives - you have the before pictures for proof if necessary.  IMO, everything is cosmetic except the leg, which is bent even worse than mine was.  I also had a bunch of issues including a cracked stone.  Fortunately the stone fits back together nicely in the platter and the resulting pizza(s) were unaffected.  (Scrape over the surface a few times to remove any loose bits and flame on.)
Dave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:33:35 AM by Tampa »

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3258 on: December 20, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Tested out the Blackstone last night and it was excellent! I guess I need to invest in an IR gun though to read temps since I had no idea how hot it was getting.  Just for reference, with the 5 psig regulator and everything at full tilt, how hot should it get when running for 15-20 mins?

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3259 on: December 20, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
My BS arrived yesterday. Box is beat to s**t! Looks resealed and really dirty, just abused. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. UPS left it on it's side. Probably won't open till tomorrow.

I'm with halfprice, I still need to learn how to make pizza. I knew that when I bought this thing, but I also knew the info was available. I'm still trying to sort out what equipment such as peel(s), scales, new IR thermometer etc. that I need, at the cheapest price. I was just on Pizzamaking.com for some info about the PizzaKettle when I stumbled on the Cabela's sale. Now here I am.

pizzapan