Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 231234 times)

JMS, Aimless Ryan and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3240 on: December 18, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »
Bob, are there any DIY guides out there for replacing the 5 psi reg with a 10 psi one?
Tom,   it's just a simple swap out, no plumbing required. You'll just want to make sure you buy a 10psi with a long enough hose to accomidate your particular set-up/arrangement. Make sure you get an adjustable(0-10psi) one.

Update: I just found this for 10 bucks Tom.....check your current reg. and see if the hose ends connect to it with threaded fittings. If it does then this new 10psi reg. should be a simple "plug an play" deal. Good luck!  :chef:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:07:53 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3241 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Tom,   it's just a simple swap out, no plumbing required. You'll just want to make sure you buy a 10psi with a long enough hose to accomidate your particular set-up/arrangement. Make sure you get an adjustable(0-10psi) one.

Update: I just found this for 10 bucks Tom.....check your current reg. and see if the hose ends connect to it with threaded fittings. If it does then this new 10psi reg. should be a simple "plug an play" deal. Good luck!  :chef:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138

Thanks for the link. From the looks of it, there is a crimp fitting at the hose-regulator end, so that's a bummer. Not sure if the other end is removable for a new hose that could screw into a new regulator.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:46:58 PM by TOM1L21 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3242 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the link. From the looms of it, there is a crimp fitting at the hose-regulator end, so that's a bummer. Not sure if the other end is removable for a new hose that could screw into a new regulator.
There's plenty of options/parts out there Tom.
This is only 10 lbs. of pressure so "barbed hose connectors" can also work in this scenario if you need/want to be able to reuse the hose you have after cutting it free from the current 5psi one.

Here's another choice.....http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Burner-Regulator-10-PSI-wHose

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3243 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Sounds great Kerry....you'll dial it in quickly.   :chef:    Any pics of your first BS pizza?

ps...don't know what all type of pies you are looking to make but it sounds like you're gonna need a 10psi regulator....if nothing else that ought to help heat up your garage while you're out there playing.  ;D

Bob,

Congrats on your BS.  I'm anxious to see what comes out of yours! Keep us up to pace with your mods.

I took some pics but not a lot, we had to eat quickly so my daughter could make her basketball practice on time.  Got 2 more balls for tomorrow, i'll take some more pics then.  I think that the 5psi will be ok in the summer for me, but I think that it might pose a challenge in the winter trying to get up and maintain the Naples temp range.  I'm going to monkey around a bit more with my BS- its a little hard finding time being so close to Christmas and competing with the cold weather and kids sports. Good luck with yours! Fire-up those engines and get busy! (these things sound like your on the runway at the airport!)

Kerry

P.S. I have a motor off of my old grill rotisserie that fits perfectly in the motor bracket on the BS.  This motor spins twice as fast- I'm curious to see what affect this will have on bake times and evenness? 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3244 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
P.S. I have a motor off of my old grill rotisserie that fits perfectly in the motor bracket on the BS.  This motor spins twice as fast- I'm curious to see what affect this will have on bake times and evenness?

You will like it better. Just have it plugged into an extension cord with a switch to flip the rotiss off to make your launching easier!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3245 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-0-to-10psi-Propane-Regulator-LP-Gas-burners-fryers-/261285121138/ref=ase_pizzamaking-20/103-6714061-5151001

There is also quite few different ones that are 10psi adjustable available at Amazon, many of them also have hoses on them. Going prices seems to be in the low to high $20 range.

And for the real daring, that want a whole lot more than just a raging inferno flame, there is the Bayou Classic with a 48inch braided stainless steel hose, that is 0-30psi adjustable, for $26.18.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/ref=ase_pizzamaking-20/103-6714061-5151001

However considering the problems some have had with flames coming from where they should not be on the front of the ovens temperature control valve area, I think I'd stay away from this one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:42:08 PM by Steve »

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3246 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
You will like it better. Just have it plugged into an extension cord with a switch to flip the rotiss off to make your launching easier!

jon

Jon, I'm glad you had good results with the faster motor.  I can't wait to compare the difference in bakes with the faster motor- to me it seems that the stone should maintain temperature more evenly and consistently. 

Kerry

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3247 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

And for the real daring, that want a whole lot more than just a raging inferno flame, there is the Bayou Classic with a 48inch braided stainless steel hose, that is 0-30psi adjustable, for $26.18.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/ref=ase_pizzamaking-20/103-6714061-5151001

However considering the problems some have had with flames coming from where they should not be on the front of the ovens temperature control valve area, I think I'd stay away from this one.
John, I have one of those and a 120,000 btu replacement burner just in case I need a lil something extra....you know....like, I'll write the number 11 on my dial!  .  >:D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:42:43 PM by Steve »

Offline nataj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3248 on: December 19, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
I'm a newbie to the forum. Bought my BS on the cabella's deal. Thanks to those who kept us up on that. Well my bottom stone is cracked down the center. Can't set it up til this weekend so can't say on other parts etc. I tried calling BS but got voicemail. Wrote email requesting stone.
What I do want to say is that I was upstairs in my 3 story house and the UPS guy dumped it so loud, I not only jumped but it scared the h... out of our cat. So breakage is not just on BS.
I will update on assembly and also BS customer service.
nata

Offline xsosx

« Reply #3249 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
I tried calling BS but got voicemail. Wrote email requesting stone.
I contacted them through email three days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I may have to try their Facebook page next...

I attached some photos of the damage. The dents are not as noticeable in the photos as they are in person.

Offline chriscar

« Reply #3250 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Scored mine from Amazon, and although the shipment was delayed a few days, and the box looked a little worse for wear, there was absolutely no damage. I was concerned that they packed the two stones face to face with nothing between them, and only wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and cardboard, but they were fine. Mine has the 10psig regulator, so I guess I got lucky. The only issue is the motor bracket is slightly off-center from the shaft, so I am unable to slide the motor & mandrel onto the shaft. I was able to work around it by installing the motor and mandrel first, then tapping the platter/shaft assembly onto it.

It's not "really" here until Santa delivers it on Christmas, so all I can do for now is tweak it, and dream of how good the pizza is going to be.

C
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3251 on: December 19, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »
Chris,  Amazon has a new policy, you have to check and see if it is damaged within 2 days of receipt, or you can't complain .   ( Just kidding of course,  but based on the number of us that were hitting the recycle webpage of UPS every few minutes on the scheduled delivery date to confirm exactly what time it was delivered so that we could rush home and start using it, you are showing remarkable patience.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3252 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
I contacted them through email three days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I may have to try their Facebook page next...

I attached some photos of the damage. The dents are not as noticeable in the photos as they are in person.
xs,
That whole unit needs to go back....I can't get over some of the crap they send out and packaged in so many different ways. No way was all that done during shipping....not in my opinion.

Is there not someone here that has a phone # so we can get the ball rolling to get xs his new grill?

Offline halfprice

« Reply #3253 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
My BS just arrive a few minutes ago.  Pretty fast shipping for Cabelas.  So far everything looks good.  I opened it up to check the stones and they are good  :)  Doesn't appear to be any dents but I did not take everything out of the box yet.  Haven't checked the regulator yet. I'll do that when I'm done here.

I was going to put it together tomorrow but just realized I haven't received my bearing yet.  So I'll probably wait for next weekend.  Picking up two propane tanks I found on Craigslist for $20 tomorrow and I'll be hitting up Home Depot for washers and 20 gauge steel to make the Chauflector.

Only thing left to do after that is learn how to make a pizza  :drool:

I'm still so confused on the different types of flour, hydration % etc.  Oh well its fun learning new things.

Jerry

Offline halfprice

« Reply #3254 on: December 19, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »
Just checked the regulator 5psi.

Jerry

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3255 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »

Thanks for the pictures.  You may have to work the return/replacement through Cabelas, if not, the contact number for Blackstone is 435-252-3030. 

If it were me, I'd be making pizza until the new one arrives - you have the before pictures for proof if necessary.  IMO, everything is cosmetic except the leg, which is bent even worse than mine was.  I also had a bunch of issues including a cracked stone.  Fortunately the stone fits back together nicely in the platter and the resulting pizza(s) were unaffected.  (Scrape over the surface a few times to remove any loose bits and flame on.)
Dave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:33:35 AM by Tampa »

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3256 on: December 20, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Tested out the Blackstone last night and it was excellent! I guess I need to invest in an IR gun though to read temps since I had no idea how hot it was getting.  Just for reference, with the 5 psig regulator and everything at full tilt, how hot should it get when running for 15-20 mins?

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3257 on: December 20, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
My BS arrived yesterday. Box is beat to s**t! Looks resealed and really dirty, just abused. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. UPS left it on it's side. Probably won't open till tomorrow.

I'm with halfprice, I still need to learn how to make pizza. I knew that when I bought this thing, but I also knew the info was available. I'm still trying to sort out what equipment such as peel(s), scales, new IR thermometer etc. that I need, at the cheapest price. I was just on Pizzamaking.com for some info about the PizzaKettle when I stumbled on the Cabela's sale. Now here I am.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3258 on: December 20, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
  You may have to work the return/replacement through Cabelas, if not, the contact number for Blackstone is 435-252-3030. 

Dave
Thanks for putting this # up so quickly Dave....I have it filed now.  ;)

Offline nataj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3259 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »

BS responded to my email immediately and the new stone was shipped by UPS to arrive on Monday. They asked me to take a picture as they are trying to work on these issues.
I didn't go back through Cabelas because everything else looks ok although I have not assembled it yet.
You look like you have way more of an issue then a cracked stone. I hope it goes well with you.
If I find anymore damage I will update here.

pizzapan