Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 326896 times)

hockeyfox and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gti16vman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3380 on: January 06, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
Hello all, new member to the forum.  Eager to learn, as I am a novice pizza maker.  Saw the BS on the Groupon in Oct, started really researching a few weeks back, which lead me here.  I am about 70 pages through this thread, trying to soak it all up.

For anyone in the market, I just ordered mine on Amazon, from their warehouse deals (they have another one), in "Used - Very Good" condition for $295+tax, which saves $50 from another other deal I could find for them.  I even called BS(griddle guru) and they said the next sale they knew of was Father's Day.  Description from Amazon is:
Item is in original packaging, but packaging may come damaged. Item will come repackaged. Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. All accessories are present and undamaged.

I figured after skimming some later posts that they probably had a fair number of returns after the BF sale.  So they probably got the replacement parts from BS and "refurbed" them and are reselling now.  I will post up tomorrow when mine shows up to let people know the condition it is in.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3381 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Sounds good Seth...I will bet that yours shows up in excellent condition....I am placing some CB "Good Karma" on this!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline benji99

« Reply #3382 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
How does everyone keep the bottom from burning at those extreme temperatures? Anything over 750 degrees and the bottom of my pizza gets burned. I like those high temps or higher for top browning, so maybe I need to try the washer and/or add a deflector? Any other suggestions? I also tried moving the stone up by adjusting the collar, but I think I have no lost some top heat because not as much of the flame gets past the steel tray. Will adjust back down to 1/2" or less gap.

TIA!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3383 on: January 06, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
How does everyone keep the bottom from burning at those extreme temperatures? Anything over 750 degrees and the bottom of my pizza gets burned. I like those high temps or higher for top browning, so maybe I need to try the washer and/or add a deflector? Any other suggestions? I also tried moving the stone up by adjusting the collar, but I think I have no lost some top heat because not as much of the flame gets past the steel tray. Will adjust back down to 1/2" or less gap.

TIA!
Benji,
Anything above 750 degrees and you are getting into "00" flour territory...you know, like for Neapolitan pizza with the little charred black "spots".
The washers and deflectors are tools that you can play /experiment with for each different type of dough/style of pizza with which you prefer. Same thing with your platter height.
Tell us what type of pizza you are working with and we can see about getting you dialed in.  :chef:

Bob

Offline benji99

« Reply #3384 on: January 06, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Benji,
Anything above 750 degrees and you are getting into "00" flour territory...you know, like for Neapolitan pizza with the little charred black "spots".
The washers and deflectors are tools that you can play /experiment with for each different type of dough/style of pizza with which you prefer. Same thing with your platter height.
Tell us what type of pizza you are working with and we can see about getting you dialed in.  :chef:

Bob

Thanks Bob. I use KABF with 62% hydration and cold ferment for 24hrs balled. I am looking to get in the range of NP, but more between NY and NP. I like lots of bottom charring without burning (of course) but I also like my cheese to spot (dark spots, not solid burned). It seems as though I can't have both right now and I am trying to figure out how I can achieve this. On my most recent bakes, I raised the platter height to get more top heat but I don't think that worked. I launched at around 700 degrees bottom stone temp but lost charring on both top and bottom and the bake took too long, around 3 minutes. I seem to like the flavor and consistency best at the 2 minute mark.

Offline chriscar

« Reply #3385 on: January 06, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
Benji,

Have you minimized the amount of flour on your peel? If it transfers to the stone, you're going to exacerbate the burning issue.

C
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3386 on: January 06, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
Thanks Bob. I use KABF with 62% hydration and cold ferment for 24hrs balled. I am looking to get in the range of NP, but more between NY and NP. I like lots of bottom charring without burning (of course) but I also like my cheese to spot (dark spots, not solid burned). It seems as though I can't have both right now and I am trying to figure out how I can achieve this. On my most recent bakes, I raised the platter height to get more top heat but I don't think that worked. I launched at around 700 degrees bottom stone temp but lost charring on both top and bottom and the bake took too long, around 3 minutes. I seem to like the flavor and consistency best at the 2 minute mark.
OK, details are good.  ;) I made this last night...is it along the lines of what you have in mind? The bottom was lightly charred in random spots.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3387 on: January 06, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Looks delicious, CB. 

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #3388 on: January 06, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
CB, I wouldn't mind lacing into the whole Southern hemisphere of that pie!!!

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #3389 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Benji99,  You are right that as you raise the bottom stone, it does cut down the path of airflow to the bottom of the top stone, but you can bend the brackets that the heat shield sits in to move it closer to the right and the rear, that will let more heat get to the bottom of the upper stone, even though you raise it higher that 1/2 inch.   http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Balancing_Top_and_Bottom_Heat   see the note under Getting the Pie Closer to the Top stone.   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3390 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
Benji99,  You are right that as you raise the bottom stone, it does cut down the path of airflow to the bottom of the top stone, but you can bend the brackets that the heat shield sits in to move it closer to the right and the rear, that will let more heat get to the bottom of the upper stone, even though you raise it higher that 1/2 inch.   http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Balancing_Top_and_Bottom_Heat   see the note under Getting the Pie Closer to the Top stone.
Barry,
re: platter height....this is why I posted that pizza pic of mine above and asked if he was going for a similar bake...I think it maybe looks like what Benji is describing for his needs and was waiting for his response to tell him the set-up. From his descriptions I feel that he might be running platter too high.
My pic was done in a bone stock rig with exception of spacers placed under a low mounted platter. I have it riding just a little above clearance point...1/4in.

around 680 degrees

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:15:34 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3391 on: January 06, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »

TIA!

I have a 3/4 gap between bottom of platter and top of shelf.
I have 5 washers underneath the stone

I launch between 780 and 815... usually closer to 790-ish

As pizza cooks, you can tell it has set and just start seeing some brown on the very bottom of the dough where it meets the stone.  At this point, slide your metal peel in and shift/reposition the pizza.   This will help with the scorching on the botton.   Repeat 2-3 times during the bake.    (Note:  This can be as simple as lift up for a second and set back down.  The stone will rotate and the pie will be in a new position).

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3392 on: January 06, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »
I have a 3/4 gap between bottom of platter and top of shelf.
I have 5 washers underneath the stone

I launch between 780 and 815... usually closer to 790-ish

As pizza cooks, you can tell it has set and just start seeing some brown on the very bottom of the dough where it meets the stone.  At this point, slide your metal peel in and shift/reposition the pizza.   This will help with the scorching on the botton.   Repeat 2-3 times during the bake.    (Note:  This can be as simple as lift up for a second and set back down.  The stone will rotate and the pie will be in a new position).
Helpful tips Karl. :chef:
I'm new with this oven but the more I use it the more I see it requires careful management to get to a repeatable point...do you agree?
Hearth seems to be temperamental and I am brain busting to come up with a solution...Ouch.  ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:42:43 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3393 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
Helpful tips Karl. :chef:
I'm new with this oven but the more I use it the more I see it requires careful management to get to a repeatable point...do you agree?
Hearth sems to be temperamental and I am brain busting to come up with a solution...Ouch.  ;)

Bob

I have been able to consistently get good results using this methodology.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3394 on: January 07, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
For what it's worth I'm launching anywhere from around 730-780, my IR meter is on the fritz so I can't really be sure.   I also wind the gas up to full during the bake to get as short a bake time as I can manage, which means less time for the bottom to burn.    As per Karl, I'm also moving the pie after about the first 20 seconds, and I resposition it quite a lot during the bake.  This might actually add heat rather than reduce it, but it's always moving.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3395 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:03 AM »
For what it's worth I'm launching anywhere from around 730-780, my IR meter is on the fritz so I can't really be sure.   I also wind the gas up to full during the bake to get as short a bake time as I can manage, which means less time for the bottom to burn.    As per Karl, I'm also moving the pie after about the first 20 seconds, and I resposition it quite a lot during the bake.  This might actually add heat rather than reduce it, but it's always moving.
Good info Dylan...it would help though when you guys mention bake parameters if you quickly note the type of pie you are working.
Thanks again.

Bob

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3396 on: January 07, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »

Yes, I heat at about 25% on the dial. When it's about 780ish, I crank up to full throttle and launch.

Cook time is about 2 mins

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3397 on: January 07, 2014, 01:06:24 AM »
Yes, I heat at about 25% on the dial. When it's about 780ish, I crank up to full throttle and launch.

Cook time is about 2 mins
Great info Karl...is that bake parameters for a Chicago Deep Dish pie?

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #3398 on: January 07, 2014, 05:05:34 AM »

TIA!

Time control.

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #3399 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:16 AM »
CB,  I agree there are a lot of factors in play - not just the temp of the bottom stone, and the setting on the main dial at the time of launch, you also need to consider your brand of cheese, how much flour and what type of flour you used to dust the peel ( I don't use any flour because I use a super peel) and of course the style pizza.  My ideal launch temp is around 650, with the volume setting on 2.5 our of 5 for a cross between NY and Neo - with a bake time of approx 2 minutes,  though my settings won't apply to most since I generally only use 100% home ground whole wheat.  The good news, IMO, is that while there are lots of factors to get it exactly right,  even a "not perfect" pizza out of the BS is much better than a "perfect" pizza out of my home oven or countertop oven.

pizzapan