Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 330401 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »
Sounds great Jon!  :chef:   Maybe the display model will have a little scratch or $75 dollar dent in it?  ;)
I bought a "display model" refrigerator last week that had a 1 in. scratch way down low on the front and it was marked down 900 dollars...no joke.  8)

The markdown on your fridge costs more than my fridge lol

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
Sounds great Jon!  :chef:   Maybe the display model will have a little scratch or $75 dollar dent in it?  ;)
I bought a "display model" refrigerator last week that had a 1 in. scratch way down low on the front and it was marked down 900 dollars...no joke.  8)

I'm ALL for that. Gotten a LOT of stuff cheap that way. Many times it's just the box that's damaged or the side against the wall or something they don't want to take the time to fix themselves. My brother just got a expresso machine from a guy, listed close to 3 grand for 300 hundred bucks. Needed a couple of seals and 45 minutes to fix. Guy said it leaked too much and didn't want it anymore. My brother just smiled and agreed with him and gave him the money before he accidently started thinking :-D :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #382 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
I am excited to see what this oven can do on the low side of temp.  My next attempt will be a Sicillian or a Detroit style pan pizza.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #383 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
I got an email reply from Blackstone support about the warranty: "12 months on parts .... 90 days for exchanges". Short and sweet.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online slybarman

« Reply #384 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
How do you plan to keep the temp down. Sounded like the range was somewhat limited.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
How do you plan to keep the temp down. Sounded like the range was somewhat limited.

I'll have to do some testing, but the plan is to turn down the inline regulator as much as I can and dial down the temp dial to minimum to see what temps I get.  If I can get it down to 550f, I can make it happen.  I'm pretty certain it's doable.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:35:17 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
Is the top piece that has the gauge in it moveable or is it fastened down? Possibly bleed some heat off with lid slightly ajar?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
It's removable, could be done.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2013, 06:58:02 PM »
Is the top piece that has the gauge in it moveable or is it fastened down? Possibly bleed some heat off with lid slightly ajar?

It may not be necessary.   I just did a quick test.   I ran the oven for 20 minutes with with the inline regulator opened minimally and the dial on the oven turned to "Max".  The temp readings are as follows.

-directly on the center of the bottom stone is ~400F
-center of the ceiling stone reads ~450F
-General temp reading of the heat coming out of the mouth of the oven is 435F. 

So yes, this oven should be able to do lower temp bakes as well.  Chicago thin, DD, Detroit, Sicillian, American, etc. 

Edit: I have both the 8"x10" and 10"x14" square steel pans from Detroit Style Pizza Co.  Only the smaller pan fits and rotates freely on the stone.   

Chau
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:05:50 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online slybarman

« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Cool. Even more versatile.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
I don't know a ton about ovens, but is there a possibility that the oven performance and the types of bakes has to do with the direct heat from flame? It seems pan style pizzas want more of a stable heat. I'm not sure if this is even a thing, but was just wondering because of the way it heats and up losses heat, that this system may not be best for longer bakes even though the temps can be reached. When I have measured the left side of the stone versus the right there is a big difference. Is the stability of the heat an issue?

Online slybarman

« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
Maybe something like a cast iron pan could even the heat out some?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »
I don't know a ton about ovens, but is there a possibility that the oven performance and the types of bakes has to do with the direct heat from flame? It seems pan style pizzas want more of a stable heat. I'm not sure if this is even a thing, but was just wondering because of the way it heats and up losses heat, that this system may not be best for longer bakes even though the temps can be reached. When I have measured the left side of the stone versus the right there is a big difference. Is the stability of the heat an issue?

Only if the pizza is stationary.   The rotation balances the heat out I believe. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:04:06 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Have any of you Blackstone owners gotten through a tank of gas yet?  Can anyone guess about how many bakes a tank of gas will last?  I guess it would always be a good idea to have two tanks on hand, just in case, right?  I haven't owned a propane tank for about 10 years due to having a natural gas BBQ, so I will have to buy one or two tanks here pretty soon. 

Also I think I know the answer to this question already, but I will ask anyway. Could I hook the Blackstone oven up to a natural gas hookup instead of propane? (My predicted answer his no...)

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
Got my thrust bearing for the rotating shaft. Wow. I disengaged the motor and gave the bottom stone a spin. It went around six times before stopping...I'm confident the bearing will reduce the wear and tear on the motor. Highly recommended!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/51205-Thrust-Bearing-25mm-x-47mm-x-15mm-Axial-Ball-/400072808597?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item5d26329895
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
I was told the tank will last 5 hours of cooking on average. Depending how you use.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
Tinroof, just as with my LBE, I have 2 tanks.  One in use and one as backup in case I run out mid bake.   This is only a wild guest, but on one tank my LBE allowed for at least 15 bakes, with a 20minute warm up each time.  And I would bake between 2-4 pies each bake.  This oven seems more efficient but then again I wasn't really baking NP pies in the LBE.  For NP pies in this oven you have to blast the heat a bit during the bake.   Overall, I would say it is fuel efficient though. 

I think you can hook up to a natural gas source.  You would need to buy a LP to NG conversion kit.  About $30-$40 from Home Depot or Lowes. 

Mmmph - nice!  I think I will order one now. 

Chau

Online slybarman

« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »
IIRC,  natural gas pressure is lower than propane.  Not sure if it will matter.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
Tinroof,

I think you can hook up to a natural gas source.  You would need to buy a LP to NG conversion kit.  About $30-$40 from Home Depot or Lowes. 

Mmmph - nice!  I think I will order one now. 

Chau
Yep, you just have to swap out the orifice in the burner. Most home gas ovens come with 2 sets of orifices...one for natural, one for propane.

Or....just drill out your propane orifice with a 1/16th in. drill bit.  ;)

Here's the fancy way to convert with tips on the regulator too,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pi9IRlOgMk
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:57:36 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
Can anyone guess about how many bakes a tank of gas will last?

On low it uses roughly 1.8 lbs of propane per hour.

According to Cabela's it's capable of 60,000 BTUs. At 21,591 BTUs per pound that's 2.78 lbs of propane per hour.

So, if my math is correct, you should get roughly 5.4 to 8.33 hours of use from a 15 lb propane tank.

Hope it helps. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:40:44 PM by dsissitka »

pizzapan