Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 493016 times)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Easter Pizza
« Reply #3900 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
Made this yesterday for my girl (on the BS) - no meat and no dairy - surprisingly it was really really good!

Artichoke hearts, shaved red onion, shaved red and yellow bell peppers, shaved Brussels sprouts, shaved collards, shaved broccoli, shaved cabbage,  green olives, Italian olives, tamari roasted mushrooms and zucchini - fresh sauce with fermented black garlic, basil & oregano.

PS. Fermented black garlic in the sauce is my new secret ingredient - recommend trying it, mild and sweet, much better in the sauce vice reg garlic - and I love garlic.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Easter Pizza
« Reply #3901 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »
Made this yesterday for my girl (on the BS) - no meat and no dairy - surprisingly it was really really good!

Artichoke hearts, shaved red onion, shaved red and yellow bell peppers, shaved Brussels sprouts, shaved collards, shaved broccoli, shaved cabbage,  green olives, Italian olives, tamari roasted mushrooms and zucchini - fresh sauce with fermented black garlic, basil & oregano.

PS. Fermented black garlic in the sauce is my new secret ingredient - recommend trying it, mild and sweet, much better in the sauce vice reg garlic - and I love garlic.
I really struggle with posts like yours .....  mostly because I know you didn't save any, not a slice. :'(

We can all agree that garlic is a basic food group, so did you have to make the black garlic or buy it?  Info please.

Dave

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3902 on: April 21, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
Flip the stone over and use the other side. Heat from underside will burn off most everything leaving you with another clean side. I always start my baking sessions by flipping the stone and starting with the bottom side that is clean. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
Jim that is a great idea! I may also use a scraper or a wire brush.

So this last friday I had the maiden run of my BS. I have to say I am so in awe of this machine and how awesome the pies are that it produces! I think pizza is on the menu every weekend. I used Gluten Boys dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7761.msg66669#msg66669 I did a 2 hour bulk at room temp, then a 72 hour ball cold ferment then took them out on friday for about 6 hours at room temp. The dough was amazing and did everything I wanted it to do. The one thing that I took from this though was that I should make the dough balls a bit bigger, I did 200g balls where I should have done 250 or 300 but thats beside the point. I used this recipe for the sauce which turned out great: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

About the time I started baking the Pool guy came and so did a few of my in-laws and I shared the wealth all around. They all loved the pizza!

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations and everything you post here, all of it has really helped not only me but I assume many others.
Blackstone Pizza Oven, My Food Blog

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3903 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
Hi Dave, I get the my fermented black garlic at Trader Joe's - they also have it at whole foods but it is way too expensive there. It is really good stuff, I like to smear it on crackers - sooooo good! I also tried it on top of a cheese pie - that was a winner also - give it a try - you will not be sorry...

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3904 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
Hi Dave, I get the my fermented black garlic at Trader Joe's - they also have it at whole foods but it is way too expensive there. It is really good stuff, I like to smear it on crackers - sooooo good! I also tried it on top of a cheese pie - that was a winner also - give it a try - you will not be sorry...
Thanks for the tip.  TJ's just opened a store in my area so this is a good reason to stop by.

Update: Went to TJ's this AM, and no fermented black garlic (ugh!), but the cute gal took my phone number and promised to call me when it next comes in. 
(If I had nickel for every time a cute girl said ....  :-D).  We'll see.

TJ had some take-n-bake dough balls so I grabbed one of each. That whole grain looks very earthy and I'm looking forward to it.
I also picked up some Hot & Sweet Cherry Peppers (per Jsaras recommendation http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25673.msg311938#msg311938)

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:45:03 PM by Tampa »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3905 on: April 23, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
How did that Trader Joe's Dough bake?  Take a look.

Normally I buy the Whole Foods Whole Grain dough balls for take-n-bake fun.  They have a nice earthy flavor and are generally a family favorite.  This time I purchased the Trader Joe's Whole Wheat dough ball.  It is much darker in color than the Whole Foods.  Opening TJ's WW was difficult as it was low hydration and didn't stretch well w/o tearing - quite a contrast to Craig's sourdough gem (my last pie post).

In brief, TJ's WW tasted like a buckwheat pancake with tomato sauce instead of maple syrup.  If I ever make it again, not likely, I'll go with the syrup.  In the meantime, it is sitting like a lead weight in my stomach, but this too will pass - and that's a good thing. :-D

Dave
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:04:14 PM by Tampa »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3906 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Agree 100%.  TJ reg dough is OK. But the whole wheat is an abomination.... Sorry you had to experience it first hand like I did....

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3907 on: April 23, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
He said buckwheat..... :-D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3908 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Just got my Blackstone the other week and fired up a few pies the other day. Here is the second pie from session 1. Followed the TXCraig1 recipe exactly, except that I kept the dough balls proofing at 65F until the bake. I was really happy with the leoparding and the overall flavor, but the bottom of the pies came out very charred/burned. After reading through this thread, I know that I need to perform a few simple mods to the oven.

Beautiful pie.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline RyanH

« Reply #3909 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
Blackstone has their deal on Groupon again: $359 with pizza peel! http://gr.pn/1mHXmd5

Even though I've wanted one since last year, I'm not sure I'll be able to buy one because of low funds :(

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3910 on: April 25, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
Blackstone has their deal on Groupon again: $359 with pizza peel! http://gr.pn/1mHXmd5

Even though I've wanted one since last year, I'm not sure I'll be able to buy one because of low funds :(

Good find! With cover! That's $50 itself!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3911 on: April 28, 2014, 06:25:52 AM »
1022 degree (2500 degree with probe) IR thermometer with 13:1 spot for $36

http://tools.woot.com/offers/high-temperature-infrared-thermometer?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_2_5
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:31:49 AM by slybarman »

Offline Ali72289

« Reply #3912 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »
1022 degree (2500 degree with probe) IR thermometer with 13:1 spot for $36

http://tools.woot.com/offers/high-temperature-infrared-thermometer?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_2_5

Thanks! I picked one of these up. The probe attachment makes this perfect for grilling as well.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3913 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Cool. Let us know how it performs.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3914 on: April 30, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
Been a while since I used my Blackstone. Actually it was Christmas eve as my family has a tradition of doing pizza on that day. I fired it up last weekend and tried some cooks with the stone at 800 degrees. Mine is an unmodified BS, stone platter is half an inch above the deck. What I found was the bottom and top heat are out of sync for me with the stone at 800. Blackening the bottom before the top was finished. I have a chauflector that I've never used as the BS cooked so well right out of the box. Will the chauflector help with balancing the top and bottom heat at temps of 800 and above?

Thanks,
jb

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3915 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Been a while since I used my Blackstone. Actually it was Christmas eve as my family has a tradition of doing pizza on that day. I fired it up last weekend and tried some cooks with the stone at 800 degrees. Mine is an unmodified BS, stone platter is half an inch above the deck. What I found was the bottom and top heat are out of sync for me with the stone at 800. Blackening the bottom before the top was finished. I have a chauflector that I've never used as the BS cooked so well right out of the box. Will the chauflector help with balancing the top and bottom heat at temps of 800 and above?

Thanks,
jb
Hi JB.  There is no simple answer to your question, IMO.  First off, unless your dough is 00, launching at 800F stone temp is asking for underside char.  Even with 00, you wouldn't want to be on that stone for more than a minute or two.  Chauflector and/or washer spacers may help - you can give those a try.  Some members like them, others not.  Keep in mind that not all Chau's are created equal and placement is a variable as well - again no simple answer.

You might try taking top/side/bottom photos and posting the recipe and baking conditions so others can offer suggestions.
Dave

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3916 on: April 30, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
NEO Pizza, 00 flour

what are some tricks to get the cornice to leopard and brown quicker? I have a chaufletor and plan on getting some washers...

sometimes at the end, i pick up the pizza with my peel and put it close to the fire, turn and repeat to get it to leopard. 

I'm noticing the bottom charing quicker than the rim of the pizza. , the floor is normall around 800-825 when i launch.

Also, is it heat or is it the fire that leopards the pie?

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3917 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
The Chauflector does not increase top heat.  I can't speak for the inventor, but Chau, and a few others, noticed that the cheese in the very center of the pie browned or burned before the rim browned -  probably because the heat from the burner goes up the inside of the heat deflector and came down in the middle of the pie.  The Chauflector tries to push some of the heat down towards the outside of the pie, both to brown the cheese outside of the middle, and help with browning of the rim.  IIRC, leoparding is caused by sugars in the dough - which usually is produced by long retardation.   To balance top and bottom heat try looking here :  http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Balancing_Top_and_Bottom_Heat

Offline DeepPurple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3918 on: May 01, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
What do you do to keep the stone clean?

After a few uses, my stone is pretty dirty with blackened cheese bits, tomato sauce, and corn meal.    Do you wait until it is cool and then scrub it down?

I know I shouldn't use water, but what do you use to scrub it?

Can you scrub it down when it's hot?

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3919 on: May 01, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
What do you do to keep the stone clean?

After a few uses, my stone is pretty dirty with blackened cheese bits, tomato sauce, and corn meal.    Do you wait until it is cool and then scrub it down?

I know I shouldn't use water, but what do you use to scrub it?

Can you scrub it down when it's hot?

Why not use water? I wouldn't immerse it while it's hot. You risk thermal shocking it and having it crack.

AFAIK, you can also use a mild soap solution at least I have done so on pizza stones for years. Let it cool down, soak it in warm water to loosen the food particles, scrape off the food that's left (I use a metal bench scraper), wash it in warm soapy water, then rinse it, towel dry it and dry it in the oven at 300 degrees for a while. Done.

You can also flip it upside down to expose the clean side, and what's left on the underside of the stone will mostly burn off.

Over time my baking stones have developed almost patina (a type of seasoning?). Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Wondered about filling the pores in the stone over time…anyone want to comment on this?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:23:02 PM by dmwierz45 »

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3920 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
After reading the responses I realized I have no need of running at 800 degrees. It was an experiment and it appears to have no benefit. The last two pies I did the other night were in the 700 degree range and they cooked very evenly. 700 is what I had been cooking at and I was very happy with the way it was working. Guess the old saw if it ain't broke don't fix it applies. Though like a dialing in a radio station (this will only be understood by oldsters that remember having a dial on the radio) you have to go past the station and then come back to know you got it dialed in just right.

I will try out my chauflector as a coworker made me a kickass stainless steel one. Who knows it may make my pizza sound even better. :)

As for cleaning the stone? Flip it over and let the Blackstone clean it for you. This is advice I got from Tampa or JackitUp. Works great.

jb

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3921 on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
jb,  glad you got it dialed in. 

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3922 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
SOS…SOS…Help!!!   :( :( :(

I made my first batch of Craig's dough using Caputo 00…everything seemed to be going well; 48 hour cold (45 degrees or so) ferment of 280g dough balls; 2 hours at room temp; stretched well to about 12" diameter; pretty thin, but not tearing. Loaded with 1/3 cup of sauce, thin slices of BelGioso mozz, and launched at 800 stone temp. Waited about 30 seconds, then tried to check the under side of the crust and reposition on the stone…then all heck broke loose. The edges of the pizza were doing quite well, but in the middle, the pie stuck to the stone, the crust fell apart, ripped open, and the fillings spilled out onto the stone, creating a horrid mess that quickly burned and scorched. Ended up with sauce and cheese all over the stone and only a ring of well-baked (and very tasty, BTW) cheese, sauce and crust, around the pizza perimeter.

WHAT A MESS! And to make matters worse, this was the first pie I made for company, after a dozen or so solo successful bakes.

Any ideas what this sounds like to you pizzaioli?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:49:19 AM by dmwierz45 »

scott123

« Reply #3923 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Waited about 30 seconds

Dennis, assuming the stone temp was uniformly 800, then you checked the pizza too early. As the raw dough heats up during the initial moments of the bake, it softens/liquefies before it starts to set up. During this period, it sticks to the stone.  It is not until the base sets up a bit that it releases and can be lifted/checked/turned.

It also helps to have a good short round metal turning peel with a thin smooth edge. It's possible you tore the edge with your peel as you were looking at it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:04:38 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3924 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
Dennis, assuming the stone temp was uniformly 800, then you checked the pizza too early. As the raw dough heats up during the initial moments of the bake, it softens/liquefies before it starts to set up. During this period, it sticks to the stone.  It is not until the base sets up a bit that it releases and can be lifted/checked/turned.

It also helps to have a good short round metal turning peel with a thin smooth edge. It's possible you tore the edge with your peel as you were looking at it.

I agree with Scott.  You probably did not let the bottom of the dough set enough, or you might have torn the bottom with our peel.  A larger bbq spatula can even turn be used to rotate a pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!