Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 364324 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3920 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
After reading the responses I realized I have no need of running at 800 degrees. It was an experiment and it appears to have no benefit. The last two pies I did the other night were in the 700 degree range and they cooked very evenly. 700 is what I had been cooking at and I was very happy with the way it was working. Guess the old saw if it ain't broke don't fix it applies. Though like a dialing in a radio station (this will only be understood by oldsters that remember having a dial on the radio) you have to go past the station and then come back to know you got it dialed in just right.

I will try out my chauflector as a coworker made me a kickass stainless steel one. Who knows it may make my pizza sound even better. :)

As for cleaning the stone? Flip it over and let the Blackstone clean it for you. This is advice I got from Tampa or JackitUp. Works great.

jb

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3921 on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
jb,  glad you got it dialed in. 

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3922 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
SOS…SOS…Help!!!   :( :( :(

I made my first batch of Craig's dough using Caputo 00…everything seemed to be going well; 48 hour cold (45 degrees or so) ferment of 280g dough balls; 2 hours at room temp; stretched well to about 12" diameter; pretty thin, but not tearing. Loaded with 1/3 cup of sauce, thin slices of BelGioso mozz, and launched at 800 stone temp. Waited about 30 seconds, then tried to check the under side of the crust and reposition on the stone…then all heck broke loose. The edges of the pizza were doing quite well, but in the middle, the pie stuck to the stone, the crust fell apart, ripped open, and the fillings spilled out onto the stone, creating a horrid mess that quickly burned and scorched. Ended up with sauce and cheese all over the stone and only a ring of well-baked (and very tasty, BTW) cheese, sauce and crust, around the pizza perimeter.

WHAT A MESS! And to make matters worse, this was the first pie I made for company, after a dozen or so solo successful bakes.

Any ideas what this sounds like to you pizzaioli?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:49:19 AM by dmwierz45 »

scott123

« Reply #3923 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Waited about 30 seconds

Dennis, assuming the stone temp was uniformly 800, then you checked the pizza too early. As the raw dough heats up during the initial moments of the bake, it softens/liquefies before it starts to set up. During this period, it sticks to the stone.  It is not until the base sets up a bit that it releases and can be lifted/checked/turned.

It also helps to have a good short round metal turning peel with a thin smooth edge. It's possible you tore the edge with your peel as you were looking at it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:04:38 AM by scott123 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3924 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
Dennis, assuming the stone temp was uniformly 800, then you checked the pizza too early. As the raw dough heats up during the initial moments of the bake, it softens/liquefies before it starts to set up. During this period, it sticks to the stone.  It is not until the base sets up a bit that it releases and can be lifted/checked/turned.

It also helps to have a good short round metal turning peel with a thin smooth edge. It's possible you tore the edge with your peel as you were looking at it.

I agree with Scott.  You probably did not let the bottom of the dough set enough, or you might have torn the bottom with our peel.  A larger bbq spatula can even turn be used to rotate a pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3925 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
I agree with Scott.  You probably did not let the bottom of the dough set enough, or you might have torn the bottom with our peel.  A larger bbq spatula can even turn be used to rotate a pizza.

Norma

And I agree with Norma as I did the exact same thing when I first got my BS. Total burnt, crispy, blackened mess. I usually wait a minute or more, check it with a large spatula before using my large metal peel to reposition the pie.

jb

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3926 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
Thanks for your quick replies. I wondered if I might have checked too soon. I believe this was my first time with genuine, wet Napoletana dough.

I took the other dough ball and baked in on a pizza stone at 500 degrees in my regular oven (cuz the BS's stone was ruined with food detritus resulting from my meltdown) and it turned out OK - at least edible, but made me realize how much better the pies are from the Blackstone.

I do have a very thin aluminum peel.

Thanks again. I'm learning, learning, learning...

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3927 on: May 02, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »
Dennis,

Just scrape off what you can on your BS stone and turn it over.  In time the mess will burn off.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3928 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
I'd stay away from using any soap, no matter how little, on any attempts of cleaning the stone. The stone being porous will always absorb some of the soap that's in the water, and also because it's porosity, you will never be able to easily rinse out all traces of the soap. I say let it cool down and then just scrape/clean the stone off with something like a grill brush and then fire it up to burn off any other left over residue. Also like others say, flip the stone over once and awhile to let it more or less clean itself that way also. How the stone looks is not important, after time it will always look "well used", that is otherwise know as patina.

Offline c8rvette

« Reply #3929 on: May 03, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
And I agree with Norma as I did the exact same thing when I first got my BS. Total burnt, crispy, blackened mess. I usually wait a minute or more, check it with a large spatula before using my large metal peel to reposition the pie.

jb

look at it this way, you are just taking the formerly fraudulent name of "blackstone" and making it true to life :)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3930 on: May 03, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
look at it this way, you are just taking the formerly fraudulent name of "blackstone" and making it true to life :)
I get the pun on a charred stone (blackstone) in a blackstone oven. 

I'm not sure I get the fraudulent reference.  My understanding is that the moniker "Blackstone" is commonly shared by different companies (like the Acme brand in the old TV show Road Runner).  Blackstone Products makes the oven and doesn't have fraud in its legal history as far as I know.  Blackstone Group is a different company which does have a more complicated legal history.

Dave

Offline Willy510

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3931 on: May 03, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
I had my first party with the oven since I bought it last year and it had no problem being on for 5+ hours and turning out 20+ pizzas in batches of 2 or 3 at a time. We had lots of other food and I was busy in between pizza orders manning the espresso machine but if you wanted to or needed to you could crank out 100 pizzas in the same time frame with a helper.  :chef:  I lent the oven to a buddy a while back and he said that with 2  new student chefs, they cranked out 40 or 50 pizzas in a few hours.   
I used Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan dough recipe with King Arthur bread flour made the day before in 10 oz balls and everyone loved the pies.

To clean the stone I would just knock off the big bits with a stainless wire brush at first but I noticed that when I left it on low in between batches that the stone would clean itself.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3932 on: May 03, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
Here's a shot of the best looking pie from session 2. Tried using some Olli pepperoni to top the pies this time. I modded the oven by raising the platform as high as it would go (probably an inch or so) and put 1/8" thick washers between the stone and the platform.

My session 2 dough balls seemed to over rise a bit. I believe my Ischia starter was more active and thus the reason for this. Pies 1 and 2 were disasters, but pie 3 was a winner. It had better leoparding than any of the session 1 pies. This one baked in approx. 75 seconds. Even with the oven mods, however, the underskirt was still too charred (although not as badly as without the mods).

Perhaps I should note that I am constantly turning my pies with the peel, keeping the crust only a few inches away from the flame at all times. Likes others on this thread, my charring happens to be mainly now in the form of a "char ring" on the underside of the crust.

Any advice as to how I can decrease this charring but still get solid leoparding would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ah Jeez!!!

"Any advice...." AS IF!!!! :-D

There are people who come onto this site and right off the bat throw down PERFECT looking pies! Herein lies an example.

Your pies are beautiful. I doubt vey much that the char ring is is anything you need to worry about!

Keep the pics coming!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3933 on: May 04, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »
Well, this went a LOT better than last Thursday's debacle. Craig's dough with Caputo 00; 1/3 cup sauce of 6-in-1 tomatoes with a little garlic and oregano and dried basil; Roundy whole milk "fresh" mozz.; fresh basil leaves added after bake. Launch with Super Peel at 800 on IR gun halfway into the stone; let it sit for 1 minute then inspected with aluminum peel…baked for just over 2 minutes. Delicious is an understatement.

Disappointed that my pies from the other night crashed with company here, but relieved to know I'm not that far from being able to pull off a NP with my Blackstone.

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:48:18 PM by dmwierz45 »

Offline c8rvette

« Reply #3934 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
I get the pun on a charred stone (blackstone) in a blackstone oven. 

I'm not sure I get the fraudulent reference.  My understanding is that the moniker "Blackstone" is commonly shared by different companies (like the Acme brand in the old TV show Road Runner).  Blackstone Products makes the oven and doesn't have fraud in its legal history as far as I know.  Blackstone Group is a different company which does have a more complicated legal history.

Dave

didn't mean actual fraud, just tongue in cheek, since the stones in my blackstone are not black.. kina beige, but BeigeStone oven sounds lame.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:00:47 PM by c8rvette »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3935 on: May 05, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
didn't mean actual fraud, just tongue in cheek, since the stones in my blackstone are not black.. kina beige, but BeigeStone oven sounds lame.
No worries.  It is a big (legal) world out there and I often miss interesting developments.
Dave

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #3936 on: May 05, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »
Beautiful pie.
Thanks Craig. ...And thank you for sharing your amazing recipe!

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #3937 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

Ah Jeez!!!

"Any advice...." AS IF!!!! :-D

There are people who come onto this site and right off the bat throw down PERFECT looking pies! Herein lies an example.

Your pies are beautiful. I doubt vey much that the char ring is is anything you need to worry about!

Keep the pics coming!

John K

Thanks John. I've been making Neapolitan-inspired pies in my home oven oven for many years but none have come close to those baked in the BS. Also, keep in mind that I'm only showing you the best pies. Some have been disasters. My future goals are now: 1. Even less charring on the undercarriage and 2. Consistency!

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #3938 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Here is my best pie from session 3. I raised the stone 1/2" from the steel plate, but there was still a bit too much char on the underskirt for my liking. Now that my IR gun has arrived in the mail, however, I can tinker with things a bit further.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3939 on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
dbarneschi, that's a really good looking pizza!  Well done.  Nice photo too! 

pizzapan