Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 364266 times)

Offline killagram

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #3980 on: May 14, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I can display my complete ignorance by asking - what's up with all the burnt pizzas?
Thanks for any help and sorry for the 'burnt pizza' sacrilege.

Welcome to the forum Sandy! I'm relatively new here too and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but burnt pizzas are probably frequently seen for two main reasons:

• Adjusting the heat between the control knob and PSI regulator is a science unto itself.
  • Depending on your dough formula and hydration this can make or break the potential for a good pie and charring

Like most I'm still learning the ropes but recently I've had a lot of luck with King Arthur's unbleached Bread Flour along with a typical sour dough culture.

I'm not too sure about pita making since I never tried it. Also your local buying options may be better if it comes down to frequent returns. On the other hand if GriddleGuru has fixed their packing practices (especially when regarding the two baking stones) then I'd roll the dice. Either way GG is responsive when it comes to consumer complaints.

Offline caymus

« Reply #3981 on: May 14, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »

have those buying locally gotten undamaged goods?

I bought mine locally during Cabela's  Christmas sale. It was packed well and the main parts were in perfect shape, however, it was missing all of the hardware (nuts bolts, knobs etc).  I received replacement parts from Black Stone.

They are quite heavy for a single person to handle.  I don't know how a single UPS driver can manually handle them (maybe they use teams).  Cabela's uses fork lifts and push carts to move them around to the pickup area.    

Offline killagram

« Reply #3982 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
They are quite heavy for a single person to handle.  I don't know how a single UPS driver can manually handle them (maybe they use teams).  Cabela's uses fork lifts and push carts to move them around to the pickup area.    

UPS delivered the BS to my doorstep with a hand cart. I still owe him a slice!

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3983 on: May 14, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
Tampa - I have that same peel.  The first time I used it, I did not use any cornmeal/flour before I loaded my pie, and the dough was a little sticky as I tried to launch.  What's your method?

Offline SandyJ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3984 on: May 14, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am in a quandary about ordering - I am on vacation the week of Memorial Day and would love to have it to play with (I haven't played with fire in awhile and I'm getting antsy...).  If I order from GG now, it would be here in time, but if I do and if anything were broken, I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.  And if that happens and it ends up going on sale at Lowes, I would be forced to thunk my head against my desk while saying bad things to myself.

On the other hand, if I don't order and it doesn't go on sale, I will pay much more for it and I will be forced to thunk my head the kitchen counter (I like to change things up).  Or if Lowes doesn't get them in at all.  (New head-banging location: hood of the Suburu.  The neighbors won't even look twice, they have come to expect such things from me).  Decisions, decisions.

Re: burnt pizzas, I have been getting the impression from the posts that the semi-incinerated state was something to be desired (charing?).  Perhaps my definition of 'burnt' is different than everyone elses. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:52:59 AM by SandyJ »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3985 on: May 15, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
Tampa - I have that same peel.  The first time I used it, I did not use any cornmeal/flour before I loaded my pie, and the dough was a little sticky as I tried to launch.  What's your method?
Good question.  There are lots of posts on peel launching which are likely a good read, but here's my comment.  With the GI slotted, metal peel, I make the pie on the bench, get the pie on the peel, jump the pie around a bit, and slide the pie+peel into the oven and jerk the peel back.

Make the pie on the bench (not on the peel) - for a Neo (minimal roll-able ingredients), I use the "pro" method of pulling the pie onto the peel in a well-bench-floured area.  For roll-able ingredients (eg a raw egg), I use the "stab" method where the pie sits there and I stab the thin peel under pie.

Jump the pie around - For stable/low ingredient pies, I've seen the experts jump the pie off the peel a little to dust off the bench flour.  It takes a little practice, but isn't that difficult.  Alternatively, a little side-to-side clears some of the bench flour.

Slide pie+peel into the oven - using a constant speed insert the pie into the oven an jerk the peel back.  The last bit is like pulling a table cloth out from under filled wine glasses.  For those who love physics, F=MA, so no acceleration means no force.  Slide in with constant velocity (no force) and jerk/accelerate back to leave the mass on the baking platter.

Hope that helps.  :chef:

Dave

Edit Update  Just received a great PM from Barry.  The context is that we were conversing about whole-wheat dough, and mine was the wettest ever.  Barry uses a superpeel and I thought his comments were so contrary to mine that it had to be shared.

Dave, I stretch the dough out to about 10 inches onto marble with no bench flour,  then do a few things for a couple of minutes, then lift it up to put it on the super peel, during that process it stretches out to about 14 to 15 inches.  I don't use any bench flour, so the coloring is usually darker than white wheat. 

(note to self: bobino really needs to try a superpeel) :-D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:01:32 AM by Tampa »

Offline killagram

« Reply #3986 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Has anyone had any problems with their igniter?  I was starting a pie making session this morning and my gas ran out just as I hit the launch temperature  >:( (son of a....) so I ran out to Home Depot and ran back. Afterwards I couldn't light the oven for the longest time so I stopped, made sure the igniter contacts were clean, replaced it with a new battery and still no luck. Finally after much ado and almost giving up it finally lit. The igniter sparks and I have the gas cranked up moderately high (I can hear the hiss) but it took literally over a half a dozen attempts. Has anyone had the same issue? And what did you do to resolve it?

Anyways with the pizza drama taking place and the dough sitting on the counter (and already stretched) for about an hour or so, it accidentally paid off and I made one of my best looking pies - no air bubbles and plenty of elasticity. It was a sausage NY style pie and although I forgot to add the dousing of olive oil on top it looked pretty close to what I remember when living in New York.

PS - I'm thinking of removing the chauflector. The top is getting a little too cooked (and dry) for my taste, although it does accelerate the browning of the cheese.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #3987 on: May 18, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
Has anyone had any problems with their igniter?  I was starting a pie making session this morning and my gas ran out just as I hit the launch temperature  >:( (son of a....) so I ran out to Home Depot and ran back. Afterwards I couldn't light the oven for the longest time so I stopped, made sure the igniter contacts were clean, replaced it with a new battery and still no luck. Finally after much ado and almost giving up it finally lit. The igniter sparks and I have the gas cranked up moderately high (I can hear the hiss) but it took literally over a half a dozen attempts. Has anyone had the same issue? And what did you do to resolve it?

Anyways with the pizza drama taking place and the dough sitting on the counter (and already stretched) for about an hour or so, it accidentally paid off and I made one of my best looking pies - no air bubbles and plenty of elasticity. It was a sausage NY style pie and although I forgot to add the dousing of olive oil on top it looked pretty close to what I remember when living in New York.

PS - I'm thinking of removing the chauflector. The top is getting a little too cooked (and dry) for my taste, although it does accelerate the browning of the cheese.

You might want to try tightening the nut where the igniter meets the Blackstone on the inside of the unit. I had a similar problem when I first received mine and it was driving me crazy. A few mm's up/over seem to make a huge difference. Hope this solves the problem.

Offline alconnell

« Reply #3988 on: May 19, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »
Purists will question my methods, but the results speak for themselves.  I use a pizza screen when making anything bigger than 10-12" pizzas; it guarantees me a good launch and is easy to maneuver.  After 2-3 min. I pull the screen and finish the pizza directly on the stone.  My only mod is the s/s washers below the stone.  So here is last night's bake, half pepperoni, half balsamic glazed bbq chicken with carmelized onions and blue cheese. 

Offline killagram

« Reply #3989 on: May 19, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
You might want to try tightening the nut where the igniter meets the Blackstone on the inside of the unit. I had a similar problem when I first received mine and it was driving me crazy. A few mm's up/over seem to make a huge difference. Hope this solves the problem.

Thank you for the response dbarneschi, I'll definitely look into that and let ya know the outcome.

alconnell that's an excellent looking 1/2 and 1/2 pie - you can't question positive results. What is that 1/2 pepperoni 1/2 ---- ???

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3990 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
Thank you for the response dbarneschi, I'll definitely look into that and let ya know the outcome.

alconnell that's an excellent looking 1/2 and 1/2 pie - you can't question positive results. What is that 1/2 pepperoni 1/2 ---- ???
Yes, both his and yours are tasty looking bakes.  :chef:

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline alconnell

« Reply #3991 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »

killagram - the other half is carmelized onions with a balsamic/bbq chicken base, mozz and some blue cheese for good measure.  It's a tasty combo.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3992 on: May 19, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
I like a good amount of browning and/or some char on the bottom, but that pizza looks way overdone on the bottom IMO.  It's odd that that happened with a screen on the bottom.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3993 on: May 19, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
In case others are wanting to spruce up the stainless front plate on your Blackstone - either the brown heat marking near the upper ledge or perhaps some rust spots (see pictures) - I found a solution.  Automotive polishing compound does not work, but automotive rubbing compound does work.

I wouldn't recommend using a machine or the lettering will likely come off.   I put a dab on paper towel and hand-rubbed the surface.  The result was good as new.

I didn't try toothpaste, baking soda, or other common household abrasives (Comet).  They might work, but if it is too gritty, the brushed finish will be compromised.

Dave

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3994 on: May 19, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »
Dave, I've also used EZ-Off oven cleaner on the stainless, and it worked well. I just wouldn't leave it on the Blackstone more than 15 minutes or so.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3995 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:37 AM »
Dave, I've also used EZ-Off oven cleaner on the stainless, and it worked well. I just wouldn't leave it on the Blackstone more than 15 minutes or so.
Sounds great, I haven't tried that.  Did you spray the Blackstone stencil lettering, and did the letters endure?
Dave

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3996 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
The original formula Easy-Off in the yellow can is basically like paint remover in a spray can. So if that's the one being used, I'd keep it away from anything that is, or resembles being painted. I'd advise not using it on the lettering.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3997 on: May 21, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
Been away from the forum for almost a year and it's cool to come back and see the progress of this thread. I looked back and realized I was the second person to post a picture of a pizza here, JRO was the first. Lots of awesome pizzas still.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3998 on: May 21, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
Jefferey, you have been gone a while. When I first saw your posts, I thought I would not be a buyer, but I eventually folded and bought my BS well after you, and I already posted a review of how it has held up over the last 10 months. Hope your BS is still firing strong. 

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3999 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
Welcome back Jeffery. Good to see you here again.  You were one of the Blackstone pioneers.