Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 327158 times)

Offline Everlast

Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #4120 on: June 27, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
Try Costco.  Ours has Buffalo Mozzarella

I've tried a few different brands of imported Italian buffalo mozzarella and I find this Costco brand to have the best flavor, texture, and meltability. It also just happens that it costs 1/4 the price of what I've paid for the other brands. Hopefully they will continue to carry it. Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4121 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
I've tried a few different brands of imported Italian buffalo mozzarella and I find this Costco brand to have the best flavor, texture, and meltability. It also just happens that it costs 1/4 the price of what I've paid for the other brands. Hopefully they will continue to carry it. Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

so far so good on this buffalo mozz, my costco has had it for at least 5 years

Offline JohnA

« Reply #4122 on: June 28, 2014, 12:34:04 AM »
Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

Yeah, that is the one thing I really hate about Costco. One time I went there they had frozen Wagyu beef hamburger patties in a box that I bought that were fantastic for just slightly more money than the ones they also sold made from Angus beef, only never to have them again.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4123 on: June 28, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »
You wouldn't like the prices anywhere near as much if they carried the all the same things day-in and day-out.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #4124 on: June 28, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Ok will check out my local Costco for that cheese. lol at Jeffreynelson cheese guessor extraordinaire.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4125 on: June 28, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
MY platter is warped once oven heats up...big time!  You can see under the stone on one side as it turns and almost touches the faceplate too.   >:(

Anyone else notice?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4126 on: June 29, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »
MY platter is warped once oven heats up...big time!  You can see under the stone on one side as it turns and almost touches the faceplate too.   >:(

Anyone else notice?

Bob
Ugh.  I've not seen this.  Mine survived even when the stop collar slipped once causing the platter to drop and stall the rotisserie motor.  The direct flame was on medium-high for several minutes in one spot.  You weren't sitting on yours were you Bob?   :-D

The new platter & shaft is a 2 piece arrangement with a screw holding them together (makes for easy ship).  Warranty is one year and replacement parts are inexpensive.  I'd give them a call and talk sweetly (is that even possible? :D), or get out a hammer.

Dave

Offline johnnytex

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4127 on: June 29, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
junior - if I may respectfully offer a slightly different perspective.  I've cooked on three BSs (CA, Bobino's in FL, and mine in FL) and imo, they bake the same as long as the gap is the same.  We followed BS recommendations from the start so all were setup with an airgap of 3/4" - 1".  The oven in CA we fired on a bottle one night, then switched to underground tank the next night.  Bobino is still on a bottle.  I'm on an underground tank.  I'd still say they cook the same.  (YMMV if you switch to Natural Gas).
Best
dave

dave
When you switched, did you still use the regulator or just direct?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4128 on: June 29, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
dave
When you switched, did you still use the regulator or just direct?
Wow Johnny, you dug that up from the BS archives!  I don't know that dave-guy, the one that wrote the quote above, but he is confusing even me. :D

I think the question you are asking is am I running my oven direct from an underground tank, or using a regulator.  Ans: Direct.  The reason I'm running direct is that my tank supply is 10psi and I have two shut-off valves in-line if things get "exciting" (the flame-control valve, and a ball valve 7' away).

The confusing aspect of the quote above is that as far as I know, nobody has successfully converted a Blackstone to Natural gas.  The biggest issue is that most residential NG installations flow with less than 1 PSI pressure (VS 5 or 10 PSI on the Blackstone).  A lesser issue is that NG by nature puts out less heat than propane.

Dave

Offline johnnytex

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4129 on: June 29, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Wow Johnny, you dug that up from the BS archives!  I don't know that dave-guy, the one that wrote the quote above, but he is confusing even me. :D

I think the question you are asking is am I running my oven direct from an underground tank, or using a regulator.  Ans: Direct.  The reason I'm running direct is that my tank supply is 10psi and I have two shut-off valves in-line if things get "exciting" (the flame-control valve, and a ball valve 7' away).

The confusing aspect of the quote above is that as far as I know, nobody has successfully converted a Blackstone to Natural gas.  The biggest issue is that most residential NG installations flow with less than 1 PSI pressure (VS 5 or 10 PSI on the Blackstone).  A lesser issue is that NG by nature puts out less heat than propane.

Dave

Dave

Yes it's from the archives. I found the site about a week ago looking for reviews on the BS. Bought one the next day. Comes tomorrow. Praying to the UPS gods.
Started reading from the beginning last Sunday up to page 121 so far.

WOW what a list.
I have a regular above ground Propane tank. On my BBQ grill, I just put in a cut-off valve and hooked it up direct. Sound like I can do the same with this.
Thanks.
Tex

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4130 on: June 29, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Ugh.  I've not seen this.  Mine survived even when the stop collar slipped once causing the platter to drop and stall the rotisserie motor.  The direct flame was on medium-high for several minutes in one spot.  You weren't sitting on yours were you Bob?   :-D

The new platter & shaft is a 2 piece arrangement with a screw holding them together (makes for easy ship).  Warranty is one year and replacement parts are inexpensive.  I'd give them a call and talk sweetly (is that even possible? :D), or get out a hammer.

Dave
The only time I use a cold grill for a seat is when the Daytona 500 race is on in the cave and there are no empty seats so I don`t think that is a factor....this baby is really warped man!
Guess I`ll just get Maxwell`s silver hammer out and see what I can do.
Thanks a lot Mr. Dave.   :P

CB

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4131 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
The only time I use a cold grill for a seat is when the Daytona 500 race is on in the cave and there are no empty seats so I don`t think that is a factor....this baby is really warped man!
Guess I`ll just get Maxwell`s silver hammer out and see what I can do.
Thanks a lot Mr. Dave.   :P

CB
Post a pic.  Esp before/after Maxwell.  If things don't work out and you are in a pinch let me know.  (Yes, I've got a spare.  And yes, I paid for it.)
Dave

Offline pieguy914

« Reply #4132 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
Quick question for those using a chauflector...I set one up the other day for the first time however I didn't get the results most seem to get with it. My usual routine for cooking the pie in the blackstone is to constantly move the pie so it's as close to the flame as possible, probably moving it every 1/4 turn or so - when I did this with the chauflector, I didn't seem to get more browning or heat on the crust but I got it in the middle of the pie and the cheese and toppings ended up burning. Should I not be moving my pie with the chauflector set up of do I just need to shorten my chauflector to try and hit the crust directly? Thx for any advice.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4133 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
Quick question for those using a chauflector...I set one up the other day for the first time however I didn't get the results most seem to get with it. My usual routine for cooking the pie in the blackstone is to constantly move the pie so it's as close to the flame as possible, probably moving it every 1/4 turn or so - when I did this with the chauflector, I didn't seem to get more browning or heat on the crust but I got it in the middle of the pie and the cheese and toppings ended up burning. Should I not be moving my pie with the chauflector set up of do I just need to shorten my chauflector to try and hit the crust directly? Thx for any advice.
Stop moving the pizza and find your best time and temp bake...then you can play with deflector shapes and sizes.

cb

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4134 on: July 05, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
Stop moving the pizza and find your best time and temp bake...then you can play with deflector shapes and sizes.

cb
Pieguy, unfortunately there is no 'easy-peazzy' answer to your question.  One way to get "a handle" on what is going on flamewise is to videotape the oven at night w/o a pizza on the stone.  Use a tripod or assistant, and maybe blow a little flour dust in there (from the right/cooler side of the oven) and keep the camera running.  The goal is to see where the yellow flame impinges on the stone.  You can lengthen or bend the Chauflector to direct and diffuse the heat.  Sounds easy, right?  Next step is to dial up/down the flame to see how the flame curls because when you are cooking a 1 minute pie, the flame is usually larger than a 4 minute pie, etc.  Try your oven with and w/o a Chauflector.

I'm a big fan of 'imitate then innovate'.  Find a BS owner that posts pie pictures you love then ask or PM for their 'best practices' setup.  Much depends on the style you are baking.  Since nobody has invented a branded 'Stoner Pie' (something developed on a Blackstone or 2Stone, etc.), you are trying to recreate a pizza stylized in a different oven.  Neapolitan/WFO, NY-Style/Deck Oven, California/Grass-fed Hibachi.  :-D

Disclaimers: I spent a lot of formative pizza-loving years in CA - so I'm a fan.  If anyone develops a Stoner Pie it will probably be C.Bob, AKA Rodney The Rabble Rouser.

Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Char ring in WFO?
« Reply #4135 on: July 06, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Interesting video posted over on the "GI Metal perforated peels" thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32686.msg323266#msg323266.  At 2:09 into the video it  seems to show a distinctive char ring coming out of a real Italian WFO.  Maybe it isn't just a Blackstone phenomenon.
Dave

Offline pieguy914

Re: Char ring in WFO?
« Reply #4136 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
Interesting video posted over on the "GI Metal perforated peels" thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32686.msg323266#msg323266.  At 2:09 into the video it  seems to show a distinctive char ring coming out of a real Italian WFO.  Maybe it isn't just a Blackstone phenomenon.
Dave

It's definitely not just the blackstone...I recently started working at a wood fired oven pizza place and the pies frequently come out with a char ring. Not sure what causes it but I've found that if I constantly move and turn the pie while it's in the oven it doesn't seem to happen.

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4137 on: July 11, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
I've now baked several NY-ish pizzas in a row, no char ring, with a nicely balanced bake.

I have the "1.0" oven with the 10 psi valve.  I set it to 1.5 turns below wide-open.  I've removed the washer spacers from underneath the stone and my "cheeseflector" is adjusted such that the flame hits the stone about a quarter way into the stone.

Preheat on high for 15 minutes. At that point my upper stone is generally about 100 degrees warmer than the bottom stone (850/750).  I then turn the oven flame off completely for several minutes.  The temp equalizes across the bottom stone, let's say 700 degrees.  Lauch the pizza and turn the flame back on on low.  Once the rim looks like it's no longer pale (about 3 minutes) I'll give it a blast on full for about 30 seconds.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online scott123

« Reply #4138 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:06 AM »
Jonas, really nice work.  It looks like overshooting the target temp and letting it cool is going a long way in encouraging a more even stone temp. I know we're getting into a subjective area, but could you take it even further?  Perhaps you could try taking the hearth to 750 and then letting it cool down to 650?  You seem to have resolved the burning on the rim, but I'd like to see the pale area the first few inches in from the rim get a bit more color- ie, even coloring to the entire undercrust.

Perhaps, also, you could remove that pale area with a chauflector adjustment.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4139 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I then turn the oven flame off completely for several minutes.  The temp equalizes across the bottom stone, let's say 700 degrees. 

Nice pie.  One can't argue with success.  If it works, enjoy.

But in an effort to better understand what is going on, consider the following.  The baking stone behaves like a pot of freshly brewed coffee in a typical inexpensive coffee maker.  Just after the brewing takes place, the coffee cools until the thermostat kicks in and the burner clicks on.  The pot heats, cools, heats, cools.  There really isn't any uniform "equalizing" going on.  Heat is always flowing one way or the other.  For any given spot (finite element) heat is either flowing away to a cooler spot or flowing in from a hotter spot.  Turn off the flame and the stone/platter assembly gives off heat.  Assuming the air is cooler than the stone, all surfaces exposed to air cool as heat flows away from the warmer center.

A better way to equalize the stone temp would be to put it in an oven at 700 degrees for a long period.  Even then there will be perturbations about the norm, but it beats Blackstone on, Blackstone off.

One problem with the BS dial is that it doesn't handle fine adjustment very well.  With the 10psi regulator wide open, my setup struggled to stay below 700F.  Adjusting the dial and regulator is a fiddly operation, but if the surrounding hot air is generally 700F, then eventually the stone will be as well.

Perhaps someday we will have finer control on the BS valve.  (No C.Bob, I don't have any inside info.  :)).  In the meantime, we can use whatever method makes the best pizza (on/off, 10psi/5psi regulator, combination of BS dial and regulator control, or perhaps needle valve, etc).

Dave