Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 500843 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #4100 on: June 22, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Here are some pizza's from my second bake on the Blackstone. BBQ Chicken, Mushroom and Margherita. I have to be honest, I'm just not a big fan of the classic Neapolitan pizza. I don't like the char and flimsy bottom "crust". The pies I'm trying to emulate coming out of the Blackstone are the ones made by Tinroofrusted. Beautiful!!!
Nice pies.  There is no shame in a preference for non-neo pies.  Don't tell anybody but I'm more like you in that regard.
Dave

Offline hockeyfox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4101 on: June 22, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Well I used the baking steel and had to really work to find the sweet spot.  First I tried the steel directly on the platter.  IR gun pegged it at 625 vs the top at 640.  Seemed ok.  But the bottom cooked much quicker than the top.  Okay, I have some small clay pot saucers that would raise the steel about 1/2 inch.  Well, the top was done before the bottom.  Bottom steel was around 585 and the top was 645.  Then I noticed I had a round chrome cooking grate that was just laying there.  Used that on the bottom and the steel was probably an eight of an inch off the platter.  Baking steel was around 610 and the top was still around 645.  More even cooking which surprised me since the steel was only 15 degrees cooler than having it directly on the steel.  All 3 pizza's were edible and just glad I made mine last. :-D  I continue to be slightly disappointed that I can not get the temps over 700 degrees.  I have the new 5psi model and turn the red regulator all the way on, then back it down one full turn (360 degrees).  Maybe I should leave it wide open?  Well the experimenting will continue next weekend.  BTW am using home made sourdough starter with 00 flour. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4102 on: June 22, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
Well I used the baking steel and had to really work to find the sweet spot.  First I tried the steel directly on the platter.  IR gun pegged it at 625 vs the top at 640.  Seemed ok.  But the bottom cooked much quicker than the top.  Okay, I have some small clay pot saucers that would raise the steel about 1/2 inch.  Well, the top was done before the bottom.  Bottom steel was around 585 and the top was 645.  Then I noticed I had a round chrome cooking grate that was just laying there.  Used that on the bottom and the steel was probably an eight of an inch off the platter.  Baking steel was around 610 and the top was still around 645.  More even cooking which surprised me since the steel was only 15 degrees cooler than having it directly on the steel.  All 3 pizza's were edible and just glad I made mine last. :-D  I continue to be slightly disappointed that I can not get the temps over 700 degrees.  I have the new 5psi model and turn the red regulator all the way on, then back it down one full turn (360 degrees).  Maybe I should leave it wide open?  Well the experimenting will continue next weekend.  BTW am using home made sourdough starter with 00 flour.
Hockeyfox,
Great ideas in selecting spacers.  Pictures would be lovely if you don't mind sharing (assuming you took some).

Regarding 700F, something is fishy.  Assuming you are measuring with an IR gun on the stone, then I would suspect a problem with either the tank or the check valve.  You can research it, but the short answer is that we have seen issues with both.  If you have a buddies tank to   swap in, try that.  When you open the hand valve on the tank, go VERY slowly so you don't peg (and stick) the check valve near the tank.  It could be some issue inside the Blackstone line/valve, but that tends to be more rare.  Those are the ideas off the top.  Let us know.

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4103 on: June 22, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
Backing off that red regulator a full turn is the reason you are not seeing temps over 700 degrees. I was wondering why in the world you were wanting to try steel....

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline hockeyfox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4104 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
Backing off that red regulator a full turn is the reason you are not seeing temps over 700 degrees. I was wondering why in the world you were wanting to try steel....

CB

Well, because I have it, and as per my earlier post, I was struggling getting the bottom to bake in unison with the top.  BTW I thought I read that I should back down the regulator one full turn.  Yet another thing to tweak. 

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4105 on: June 22, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
I think people with the early 10psi regulators were backing down a full turn. I don't think you need to back down so much (or at all) with the 5psi regulators.

Q

Offline hockeyfox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4106 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
Hockeyfox,
Great ideas in selecting spacers.  Pictures would be lovely if you don't mind sharing (assuming you took some).

Regarding 700F, something is fishy.  Assuming you are measuring with an IR gun on the stone, then I would suspect a problem with either the tank or the check valve.  You can research it, but the short answer is that we have seen issues with both.  If you have a buddies tank to   swap in, try that.  When you open the hand valve on the tank, go VERY slowly so you don't peg (and stick) the check valve near the tank.  It could be some issue inside the Blackstone line/valve, but that tends to be more rare.  Those are the ideas off the top.  Let us know.

Dave
Thanks for the input.  I do have a 2nd tank and will swap out.  But up first is an adjustment of the red regulator control and see if that helps. 

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4107 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
Hockeyfox, As Chicago Bob says, the original model came with a 10 psi regulator, you turn it down one full turn so you don't get 10 psi, you get something less  ( though not sure how much less )  With the 5 psi, you run the regulator wide open.  Your top stone should be above 900 in 15 to 20 minutes, and your bottom stone should be plenty hot.  When I first read your post I thought it was odd, many of us were trying to cool down the bottom stone, with spacers and such, and here you wanted to increase the bottom heat.  Post back and confirm it was the regulator.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4108 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »
cooking a doctored up frozen pizza pie on the ole BS this evening.   >:D
The Devil may care...... 8)

Bob

Offline JohnA

« Reply #4109 on: June 24, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
cooking a doctored up frozen pizza pie on the ole BS this evening.   >:D
The Devil may care...... 8)

Bob
Frozen pizza, why those is hanging words....  ;)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #4110 on: June 25, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
I have reinstalled the Chauflector and am finding that I'm a bit happier with the results. I actually got a pie out in 90 seconds yesterday. This one today took 2 minutes, but I started with the stone a bit cooler than usual. I usually launch with the stone at 750.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4111 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »
I have reinstalled the Chauflector and am finding that I'm a bit happier with the results. I actually got a pie out in 90 seconds yesterday. This one today took 2 minutes, but I started with the stone a bit cooler than usual. I usually launch with the stone at 750.
She's a beauty Tommy....very nice work!  :chef:

CB

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4112 on: June 25, 2014, 10:55:21 PM »
Nice puffy crust. Looks fantastic!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #4113 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:22 AM »
Nice one Tommy! 

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #4114 on: June 26, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
Very nice Tommy. May I ask what kind of chesse that is because mine wants to darken a little too quickly. thanks

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4115 on: June 26, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
Very nice Tommy. May I ask what kind of chesse that is because mine wants to darken a little too quickly. thanks

I'm going to guess belgioioso. Lets see what tommy says.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #4116 on: June 26, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
I'm going to guess belgioioso. Lets see what tommy says.
Damn, you're good!

I've tried fresh mozzarella made locally by various outfits, but I don't like the way it melts, at least for my cooks. I like buffalo mozzarella more than any, as the creaminess agrees with my sensibilities, but it's pricy and not always available. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4117 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
Damn, you're good!

:-D      I agree.

CB

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4118 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »
Damn, you're good!

I've tried fresh mozzarella made locally by various outfits, but I don't like the way it melts, at least for my cooks. I like buffalo mozzarella more than any, as the creaminess agrees with my sensibilities, but it's pricy and not always available.

Try Costco.  Ours has Buffalo Mozzarella

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4119 on: June 26, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
Try to find the galbani mozzarella. I like how it melts much better than the belgioioso. Not the precious stuff though. Mine looked similar to this but in a 2 pack from samsclub.

Online Everlast

« Reply #4120 on: June 27, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
Try Costco.  Ours has Buffalo Mozzarella

I've tried a few different brands of imported Italian buffalo mozzarella and I find this Costco brand to have the best flavor, texture, and meltability. It also just happens that it costs 1/4 the price of what I've paid for the other brands. Hopefully they will continue to carry it. Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4121 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
I've tried a few different brands of imported Italian buffalo mozzarella and I find this Costco brand to have the best flavor, texture, and meltability. It also just happens that it costs 1/4 the price of what I've paid for the other brands. Hopefully they will continue to carry it. Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

so far so good on this buffalo mozz, my costco has had it for at least 5 years
Deb

Offline JohnA

« Reply #4122 on: June 28, 2014, 12:34:04 AM »
Costco has a reputation of having something for a while, then never having it ever again.

Yeah, that is the one thing I really hate about Costco. One time I went there they had frozen Wagyu beef hamburger patties in a box that I bought that were fantastic for just slightly more money than the ones they also sold made from Angus beef, only never to have them again.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4123 on: June 28, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »
You wouldn't like the prices anywhere near as much if they carried the all the same things day-in and day-out.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #4124 on: June 28, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Ok will check out my local Costco for that cheese. lol at Jeffreynelson cheese guessor extraordinaire.